Leather choice for gold birkin

Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
Frankly I’m bored out of my mind in lockdown. So, as any normal person would, I’m plotting my next bag purchase.

think I’d like a gold Birkin 30. I already have three Togo bags so I might like to explore another leather. Here are some options I was considering:
- swift: likely to be too soft for me. I don’t want to baby this bag
- clemence: worried it will be heavy and slouch over time. I’m simply not carefree enough w my bags to be ok with a slouchy bag
- barenia / barenia faubourg : I figured these offers were super difficult...
- Novillo: seeing great things about this leather on the forum but is it an impossible leather?
- chèvre: by SO only, not sure the sheen would be for me

wdyt? I’m a good loyal customer of my boutique but not like VIP (I don’t think...). I think maybe clemence or novillo if possible but tell me if I’m being ridiculous.

im Not in a hurry but I do get impatient w the game. Would be nice to receive in 12-18 months if possible

Reactions: HAllDay
I love the color gold is in clemence. I wish I had gotten clemence rather than togo. I don't think slouch will be an issue on a 30, but others who have it can chime in. The rouge H B35 in my avatar is clemence. No significant slouching 10 years later.

I have a gold lindy 26 in clemence and now I am in LOVE with the color gold. I think clemence leather does a good job showcasing gold, but like you, I wouldn't want a Birkin 30 in clemence. I am all for a casual look, but a very slouchy birkin is not my cup of tea. I also asked my SA for a Birkin 30 (or 25...) in fauve barenia/barenia faubourg. I asked her how hard it would be to get one, but she dodged the question, so I'm guessing it's pretty tough. :smile: I guess I should give myself a realistic 12-18 month wait.

I'm looking for a gold 30 too. I haven't spoken to my SA about it yet. Does anyone know how hard a gold in togo is to come by? Just wondering if I should have some back up options in case I end up waiting years for the Birkin 30 in Gold hah hah.

I have a pre-loved B35 in gold swift from 2007. Very, very slouchy with lots of "dents". Seeing your comments: don't take swift. Even in a B30 I think it would slouch a lot over time. My B35 in clemence did not slouch too much yet, but I also didn't use it as heavily as my B40 in clemence (can't stand on its own). I personally love clemence, but given your preferences I'd recommend Epsom, even if it's not the most popular leather on tPF.

Lots of love for clemence! I must admit it was my first thought but I figured it would slouch. But gold in cle

I love the color gold is in clemence. I wish I had gotten clemence rather than togo. I don't think slouch will be an issue on a 30, but others who have it can chime in. The rouge H B35 in my avatar is clemence. No significant slouching 10 years later.
I have a gold lindy 26 in clemence and now I am in LOVE with the color gold. I think clemence leather does a good job showcasing gold, but like you, I wouldn't want a Birkin 30 in clemence. I am all for a casual look, but a very slouchy birkin is not my cup of tea. I also asked my SA for a Birkin 30 (or 25...) in fauve barenia/barenia faubourg. I asked her how hard it would be to get one, but she dodged the question, so I'm guessing it's pretty tough. :smile: I guess I should give myself a realistic 12-18 month wait.

tbh I think Togo is a fairly standard offer. I don’t think it should take too long (by bermes
I'm looking for a gold 30 too. I haven't spoken to my SA about it yet. Does anyone know how hard a gold in togo is to come by? Just wondering if I should have some back up options in case I end up waiting years for the Birkin 30 in Gold hah hah.

thanks for the suggestion! I don’t know too much about this

You may also wish to consider Jonathan, which by all accounts gives you a Swift bag, but with structure.

thanks for the reco! I have two kelly Epsom’s and i like what Epsom does on those bags...I don’t think I’d care for it in a B

I have a pre-loved B35 in gold swift from 2007. Very, very slouchy with lots of "dents". Seeing your comments: don't take swift. Even in a B30 I think it would slouch a lot over time. My B35 in clemence did not slouch too much yet, but I also didn't use it as heavily as my B40 in clemence (can't stand on its own). I personally love clemence, but given your preferences I'd recommend Epsom, even if it's not the most popular leather on tPF.

another leather to ask my SA about!!
If you can get a barenia fauve with gold hardware, I would recommend it, speaking from experience!

I have a 35 in gold with GHW, mine is Togo.

This was my very first Birkin, gifted to me back in 2012. I must say, that to this day the bag has kept it shape pretty well. No significant tear and wear, no slouchiness... since getting my 30's though, I don't reach much for it..

At some point, in 2019 I bought the same bag in the size 30 - but ended up selling it shortly after, because I couldn't justify owning two and the 35 was my first one and the sentimental value it holds, was just too big so I let the 30 go.

But if I had the option, I would love one in swift. I own a B30 in swift, and I'm surprised how sturdy the leather of mine is. No slouch at all, and with the specs you're after in gold with GHW it would be Devine.

I agree with @CrackBerryCream above. Here’s a shot of my vintage black barenia B30 and gold swift B30, I think from around 2006. The vintage gold color (darker than today’s gold and a bit similar in shade to fauve barenia) is both a neutral and a pop of color and swift is extremely sturdy, yet also buttery soft and lush. (I do have my bags spa-ed and weather treated by @docride so they are relatively worry free (no change in texture that I can tell) and I do not baby them). The second pic is a vintage gold Vach liegee 30B (@docride ‘before‘ pic as she is turning VL into an art bag for me). VL is discontinued, but it appears much lighter in shade and much more structured than swift (maybe in shape like epsom, IDK?). I personally prefer swift’s smoothness and slouch To VLs grain. (A 30B will of course be less slouchy than 35). The third pic is a 35 Trim II in natural fauve barenia for color comparison to vintage gold swift). all birkins are brushed PHW. If you want a smooth barenia birkin, I personally would look for a gently preloved bargain with only cosmetic dings if any (that can be easily spa-Ed). Smooth barenia does not stay pristine for long, and IMO is not worth the retail markup. (Of course authenticate and do your due diligence before purchase).
B41D6FF9-61EF-4601-A98E-3D2549AF032B.jpeg 8137E4C1-FAAA-48CC-BAB0-FD7E8FF22628.jpeg 0EDB551C-0719-443D-B568-BA6ABB64A735.jpeg

Last edited:
You may also wish to consider Jonathan, which by all accounts gives you a Swift bag, but with structure.
I just added a Veau Jonathan B30 gold hardware to my wishlist this week! My very first B offer was for a gold togo Birkin, which I declined :shocked: in the hopes of being offered something in Anemone (which happened immediately). I also declined a B in Barenia Faubourg. I was expecting the colour to be deeper, and it didn't sing to me the way I thought it would. I think VJ will suit my needs and wants perfectly, and I recommend OP to have a look at VJ if she gets the opportunity before making a decision.

is there a big difference between dye on togo and clemence?

Reactions: keodi