Arts & Crafts Learning how to knit

I want to learn how to knit, but don't know where to start. Are there any books and products you could recommend to me so I can learn?

Ravelry is a good place to start if you haven't found it already. Do you have any yarn shops in your area? Many of them have classes, and will also have people that can help you get the supplies and yarn to get started. You don't need top-of-line supplies, but nice yarn and needles will make learning more pleasant.

I taught myself with a crappy kit, but would not recommend that method. After I figured out the basics, I took several classes at the yarn shop and have been addicted ever since.

Seconding the Youtube suggestion. My mom taught me the basics and I learned everything else I know from Youtube. Now I can knit any pattern and quickly learn any new technique. I was taught English style from my mom, and I taught myself Continental and Portuguese style from videos only. Have fun:smile:

I am in the same boat. Just went to yarn shop today and picked up a skein of worsted wool and lovely high-quality needles for $18 together - came with free tutorial from the very kind owners :smile:

I'm YouTubing now and hopefully we'll both have creations to show off soon!

I want to learn how to knit, but don't know where to start. Are there any books and products you could recommend to me so I can learn?
Books: Stitch 'n ***** by Debbie Stoller. It's a great reference and has some good patterns for beginners.

Totally agree with the other suggestions for Ravelry and YouTube.

I'm an avid knitter. If you have any questions, just PM me. I'm happy to help point you in the right direction.