leagal rip-offs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
purselova34 said:
No, I haven't. Have you? A friend of mine told me this once, just because your family was slaves doesn't mean you were ever one. I think my solutions are good, but there's nothing I can do if everyone says oh they're selling fakes, it's a living. If people accept it, I guess I should just turn my head, too.

actually, i haven't. that was my bf talking (he was actually sitting reading the forum with me :love:). he's experienced it firsthand in the philippines. and he has experienced learning the language when he came here from the philippines.

but whatever...everyone is entitled to their own opinions...

oh yes, one last thing.

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it, for the sake of this world! I'm glad that even though we were all very fortunate individuals, we still can see that there are many people out there who weren't as lucky and are truly making an effort to improve their standard of living. I'm glad there are still people who display compassion for individuals who conduct certain behavior, even if we may not agree with their actions, because we take the time to understand their side of the story.

purselova34 said:
No, I haven't. Have you? A friend of mine told me this once, just because your family was slaves doesn't mean you were ever one.

:oh:

Seriously, purselova, nobody on this forum amazes me quite like you do.

This is not said with any intent to ignite flames, because this will be the only post I make in the thread: I don't know how anybody with a decent grammar school education, or at least common sense, can deny that slavery has incredible social, economic and pyschological implications for future generations within a family with a history of slavery -- on both sides.

IntlSet said:

I don't know how anybody with a decent grammar school education, or at least common sense, can deny that slavery has incredible social, economic and pyschological implications for future generations within a family with a history of slavery -- on both sides.

i definitely agree with you IntlSet! :idea:

IntlSet said:

Seriously, purselova, nobody on this forum amazes me quite like you do.

This is not said with any intent to ignite flames, because this will be the only post I make in the thread: I don't know how anybody with a decent grammar school education, or at least common sense, can deny that slavery has incredible social, economic and pyschological implications for future generations within a family with a history of slavery -- on both sides.

Thank you! :P It doesn't affect anyone any more. I think there is equality now in the US. People are too PC. Always afraid to hurt others feeling. Your great grandmother may have been slave, but stop complainning. No one ever owned you. It only affects us if we have to keep dragging it up. Ok, people used to be slaves. Do you see Jews complainning "Oh, the Egyptians made up build them there pyramids." No, they've moved on and realize how much better things are.

Ok. Fake designer handbags are illegal. Their production probably funds less than savory organizations. The people who actually produce them may either be forced into it, or depend on it to stay alive.

Fun fact. Not every country has the opportunities to advance ones position in life like ours does- and even this country has it's flaws. The world can be a really ugly place at times, and there is no simple solution for any of it. There are things going on in foreign countires that make me sick to my stomach to think about ( i.e. certain kinds of primative warfare that involves horrible things happening to women.) It's quite silly to say that people working to produce these bags are simply not trying their hardest at life.

Anyways, to say that our country is devoid of any descrimination ( of any kind) is idealistic, and can only come from not having experienced a diverse community. I live at an extremely diverse school, and have witnessed some troubling instances of descrimination from various people. Whether it's race, class, gender, etc- people are never ever going to be able to be without judgement. Equality should always be fought for, even if it's acheivement seems distant. Unfortunate but true. I can not believe some of the statements regarding slavery made within this thread, truly truly dissapointing.

Anyways, not looking for a fight, simply making some observational statements. I'm a cranky little insomniac.:shame:

and that's all I have to say in here. :smile:

purselova34 said:
Thank you! :P It doesn't affect anyone any more. I think there is equality now in the US. People are too PC. Always afraid to hurt others feeling. Your great grandmother may have been slave, but stop complainning. No one ever owned you. It only affects us if we have to keep dragging it up. Ok, people used to be slaves. Do you see Jews complainning "Oh, the Egyptians made up build them there pyramids." No, they've moved on and realize how much better things are.

wow:oh: ..i wasn't going to comment on this thread but now i have to. if you actually think that we are anywhere NEAR equality in the U.S you are seriously deluded.

First of all, I agree with IntlSet and gingerB. And I also didn't want to comment on this thread. But, I feel some of the comments are outrageous.

1. Yes, there might be greater attention paid to prejudices these days, but we are nowhere near equality for all. And if you think that, then I don't know what there is to say to convince you otherwise because you seem blind to the facts & figures pouring out of research centers to this day. That is one statement that is undoubtedly false.

2. I agree with sexxiliciousgrl. She has repeated time and again that she doesn't mean to imply that she supports the fake product industry, yet over and over again, you accuse her of that. How much farther can she go to state her intentions? I too, don't agree with the existence of such an industry, but yet there ARE gray areas here. There certainly ARE people who have NO OTHER OPTIONS! I feel that it is very callous of you to announce that everyone can do what they want if they try. While that is the "American Dream", this does not hold true for people in other countries. You can't apply the same rules. And even in the US, that does not hold true. I think in this respect, you are being the more closed-minded one.

3. A merit scholarship is very difficult to obtain, and it is not welfare! You can be sure that any recipient of such an honor DESERVES it! And I think it's highly gracious of her to want to donate her money to people who need it more instead of hoarding the extras to herself. What wrong can you possibly see in that?!

4. It is very hard to learn a second language, and whatever proclamations you make about your language abilities can't refute this. Some people are born with the ability to learn languages easily, others are not. And as people age, it becomes harder in general.

5. If you think that all big, Fortune 500 companies are stating their accounts truthfully, then obviously, you haven't heard of Enron. THEY got exposed, but imagine how many like them got away? As someone who took financial accounting classes, there are many ways to manipulate your balance sheet and income statement. And by manipulate, I don't mean just the plain numbers. Have you never heard of CEOs who charge all their personal items onto their business account? And then have it tax-deducted because it's now a business expenditure? Have you been aware how many corporate scandals have involved top executives receiving bonus money that they weren't supposed to be privy to? On top of that, there are also loopholes in regulations that are constantly being used by these companies. Why did Ernst & Young, the accounting firm, get so much heat in past years...because they declared certain statements to be an accurate reflection of the company's financial status when it actually wasn't. If you looked into these things, you would find a wealth of examples from which to pick and choose. So yes, big names do perform underhanded activities even though they are often in the public eye (again, Enron was one of the HOTTEST companies, researched and invested into by huge numbers of people...do you think those people didn't try to find everything they could possibly find on the company? And yet Enron still managed to get away for a time.).

Overall, I think sexxilciousgrl's arguments were very well-constructed and thought-out and I apologize for the long post.

I agree with the sexxwhatever girl. Completely. Life is a constant struggle to survive for like 80% of the world. And of those 20%, the majority of their lives are not easy either. It is a tough thing to work and be responsible for a family.

With that said, it is no excuse for going into criminal practice. Start being sympathetic with drug dealers for feeding their families, then, an illegal thing is an illegal thing whether it be handbags or marijuana.

I give money to charity, I have done volunteer work in Africa, and I have helped out my church with their homeless outreach here. People's lives are rough. If they thought they could make big bucks by selling fake handbags, they'd jump on it, and if I were in their situation whose to say that I wouldn't too? You may be able to emotionally justify it, but that still makes it WRONG. PERIOD. however, it is not gonna hurt you or LVMH or whoever to just take a few minutes and realize that a lot of people have very desperate situations and try to understand their motives for working in a fradulent industry.

Although I want to end by saying that thousands of fakes are sold in freakin mall kiosks. They could just as easily sell body jewelry or cell phone covers. I think most people who sell fake bags are just plain crooks, people who either have or could have a perfectly legitimate source of income, not starving Estonians who got fired from Wal-Mart and now have 20 kids to feed.

bethany said:
With that said, it is no excuse for going into criminal practice. Start being sympathetic with drug dealers for feeding their families, then, an illegal thing is an illegal thing whether it be handbags or marijuana.

Although I want to end by saying that thousands of fakes are sold in freakin mall kiosks. They could just as easily sell body jewelry or cell phone covers. I think most people who sell fake bags are just plain crooks, people who either have or could have a perfectly legitimate source of income, not starving Estonians who got fired from Wal-Mart and now have 20 kids to feed.

I so agree with these two points. :idea:

sexxiliciousgrl said:
1) The people who buy knock-offs wouldnt actually have purchased the authentic ones anyway (although they might purchase some). The reason the secondary market exists is because some people don't value the goods for the price that is charged. If there were no such thing as knockoffs, yes then some people might buy the authentics but most wouldn't.

If the money isn't there for the people making the handbags, it isn't because there isn't enough money to go around. It is because management wants to get the job done for the least amount of money possible. Take outsourcing to be a major example of this. Levi's closed a factory in SF some years ago that was still profitable (at least thats what I recall) because if they exported the labor to Mexico, they could deliver the same product for even less.

I'm not saying that because they have less than the big companies, it is okay, but if the economy is so important, then this gap between rich and poor is definitely not a good thing. And to me, it is more important to help those who need the help, not those who are already living comfortably.

2) The state of economy is not solely determined by taxes. And even if they were, I'm sure many people who do sell handbags have to pay taxes (whether or not they alter their numbers is a different story). Also, it isn't as if large corporations don't avoid paying taxes as well. They are always finding ways of reducing their taxable income, using accounting to change their figures as well, so aren't they hurting the economy far more than the small individual knockoff dealers? If taxes are what the economy is based on, then large companies who have the resources to find analysts and accounts to alter their numbers hurt the economy the most.

3) Yes, that is indeed true but you cannot associate all people who sell knock-offs with this stereotype. My point is not that all things associated with knock-offs are good, simply that there are two sides to every story. And working isn't only defined to be work at what you consider "real" jobs. Work is work, a way to help provide for your families. Some people are lucky to be able to do what they enjoy for a decent income, others aren't.

I've got to give it to you gal you know exactly what you're talking about.Reading your take on this topic is definitely a refreshing change.I have no doubt you'll go far in life,it's obvious you already have a good understanding of the real world. :biggrin:

I don't believe LV or any other highend bag company is losing a great deal of cash flow due to knockoffs.If that were the case they would be closing up shop.Instead they are opening up stores all over the world to continue selling their overpriced items.:blink:

Wow! What an interesting discussion! I am not going to add my two cents on the topic, as I do believe both sides have raised some valid points. However, as far as style, manners, and argument as an art goes, I have to say that sexxiliciousgal is the winner BY FAR!!! Purselova34, you take a simple discussion and turn it into a vicious personal attack. Your lack of style, manners, and class denigrates the valid points in your argument, making you come off like a low-class streetfighter/bully that cannot stand to have her point of view questioned. I admire sexxiloiciousgal's ability to not stoop to your level and start flinging poo back at you!

purselova34 said:
EQUALITY IN AMERICA???? OMG. You have to be kidding me. Now I have to say something.
Your comments seem to stem from being very young and while there is nothing wrong with being idealistic, you have to realize there is a fine line between that and arrogance. When confronted, you resort to name calling and insults. Your solutions for "world peace" may be noble but they are incredibly naive at best! Things are better for JEWS? Pull your head out of the ground! The entire race was just threatened by Iran that Israel should be wiped off the planet or do you not read the paper??!! Screw designer bags. You just want to provoke people in here. The Chinese government is not interested in human rights so any change in labor laws there are NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Wake up and stop making foolish remarks. I stayed out of this as long as I could but if you get to say whatever you want then you better let others say what they want without attacking them. Now go to your room.

I live in Hong Kong, and am therefore surrounded ny counterfeit EVERYTHING!!!! I have made friends with a guy across the border in China, and have learned from him that he is living in the town where he is, selling fake DVD's to support his wife and 2 kids, working 12-15 hour days, to make a little over $200 US a month. I understand the point that selling fakes is illegal, but I do not fault him for busting his ass everyday to support his family, who he only gets to see twice a year. His options are limited, but our mindsets should not be....Ithink it makes a difference when you know someone that is just doing the best they can to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.