Le Sac. Literally.

Azoobus

Aug 5, 2008
I know there's been a number of topics out there about the le Sac dress from American Apparel, but I'm not sure if I should revive them or start a new one..

ANYWAY. I'd been craving after the dress for a while now, and lo and behold, my friend got me the navy for my birthday a couple days ago. I was REALLY excited to try it on. Until I looked in the mirror.

Whereas on the model, it had looked slouchy-chic, on my sorta-chubby frame it looked literally like a sack. I tried wearing it this way and a couple of other ways, but this one turned out the best, IMO. And that's not saying very much.

http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/images/detail/serve.asp?media=rsa0300_Orchid_Black.jpg

If I put the straps under my bust like the model, I look like I'm pregnant. Which isn't something considerable for a 16 year old, I don't think. However, if I push it down some onto my natural waist area, it doesn't pouf as much. My best friend, however, suggested I just return it and try something else. She said it's on of those things only made for the superskinny.

The friend who gave it to me suggested I slap a thick belt on it. She said it'd look better like that. What do you guys think? I'll post pictures of myself in it if you want a better idea of how it looks. :/

WHEW. Long post. TIA!

Thanks for the prompt reply, Aliwishesbear. I think you look better in it than I do. Do you think there's any hope at all. It'd be horrible to ask my friend for the receipt so I could return it..

I don't think there's anyway to save it.

AA doesn't do returns, but they do exchange. I don't think you have to have a receipt to exchange. They have a lot of cute dresses. I actually just tried on their double U neck long sleeved dress and it's really cute. I also have the cotton/spandex jersey turtleneck dress and the cotton/spandex jersey bandeau pencil dress, and I love both of them.

Yeah, I was considering getting the cotton/spandex jersey bandeau dress. It looks like it might be a little more forgiving for my lumps and bumps. LOL. I'd be glad to exchange it, there's only a $6 difference, I think.

In the meantime..

): It makes me sad to look at it.

AA Site said:
What You Can Exchange or Return

American Apparel unconditionally guarantees all products we manufacture and sell at our online store to be free from defects of workmanship. We will gladly replace or refund you for any defective items you wish to return.

If you're unsatisfied with the fit, quality, color, or size of an item you may return it and choose an item in another size or color. We will gladly replace any item that you're not completely happy with.

Please note the following limitations:
Item must be returned within 45 days from date of purchase.

Swimwear, bodysuits, unitards, intimates, cosmetic and grooming products cannot be returned unless defective.

Items that have been laundered or altered in any way cannot be accepted for exchange or return.

Items purchased from the American Apparel Online Store cannot be exchanged or returned at American Apparel Retail Stores.
Did you change your mind?

If you simply wish to exchange or return an item for any reason (see limitations above), you are responsible for return shipping charges, but we will ship you a replacement item with no additional shipping charge.
Example:
You decide you don't like the style, fit, or color.

You decide you just don't want the item for whatever reason.
What to do:
1. Complete the "Return Form" included with your order. Remember to indicate the style, color, and size of your desired replacement item(s).

2.Place the item(s) you wish to return in a suitable box or envelope.

3.You are responsible for return shipping charges. We recommend you use priority mail or a carrier that provides tracking. American Apparel is not responsible for lost shipments.
Did we make a mistake?

Hey, we're not perfect...
If we make a mistake with your order, we will take care of return shipping and send you a replacement item with no additional charge shipping.
Example:
Item shipped does not match the style, size, or color you ordered.

Item shipped is defective in workmanship.
What to do:
1. Call our customer service department +1 (888) 747-0070, non-US customers please call +1 (213) 688-1474.
Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm PT.

2. Customer service agent will process your request and assist you with return shipping.

3. Complete the "Return Form" included with your order. Remember to indicate the style, color, and size of your desired replacement item(s).
4. Place the item(s) you wish to return in a suitable box or envelope.

They seem quite forgiving, but they don't mention anything about actual store returns.

i think it looks good on you, but if you don't feel good in it then maybe try on the bandeau dress and see how they compare. i actually have the bandeau dress too, and for me there's only one way to tie it so that it doesn't look funny.

here are a couple pictures of me in my sac dress. it's tied the same way as the gold one on the website pictures, and i honestly think this is the best way to tie it. it took a lot of time and tinkering to get it this way though because i had to cut a piece of the strap and thread it through the neck part, safety pin it into a circle then cover up the safety pin. but i get a lot of compliments when i wear it like this! maybe you could give it a try? because this way, you don't have it cinched under your bust, it's more along your natural waist, which makes you look slimmer. hope this helps!

Attachments

• DSC01731.JPG
    DSC01731.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC01734.JPG
    DSC01734.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 206
Wow! That looks great! I'll definitely be sure to try it out. I think I'm going to keep the dress for a while more, and keep experimenting. It might just be my subconscience playing with me, as this is the first dress I've owned since I was 4. LOL. I'll also look into getting the bandeau. You've been a great help Kelliez!

As have the rest of you. I feel so flattered! :smile:

Well, you could always go back and get another one! :smile: For me, it was either sangria, navy, or slate. But I wanted something a little more neutral, and navy seemed like the best option.

I think I'm going to go for a brighter colour with the bandeau dress. Once I get some money out of the bank, that is. I'm down to pennies at the moment. LOL.

Do I have permission to be totally honest? From the front, the dress looks great, and if I had only seen that pic, I would have told you to keep it. From the side, though, I don't think the dress is flattering at all.. in fact, you look like a totally different person! Is it tied the same way in both pics?
It sounds like you don't feel totally comfortable in the dress also. I'd try to get an in-store exchange for a credit, and try another dress that you like more. And btw you are NOT chubby, AA clothes just aren't at all forgiving (look at how tiny the models on the website are, that's why they look good in everything!).

^ Hah! You sound just like my best friend. She said exactly the same thing. I suppose, I do have to agree. If it doesn't work the way Kelliez suggested, and I just don't start feeling good in it, I'll definitely take it back. And yes, it is tied the same way in both pictures.

Thanks again for the opinion. The more thoughts I get, the clearer the idea of what I'm going to do with this thing. :smile:

OH, and thanks for the mini-pep talk. I DO get self conscious looking at the tiny models on the site.