Le Sac Alpin

R8ted_mmm

Aug 25, 2014
I just wanted to share some thoughts on the Alpin as there is not much info out there about this bag. Although I am not a backpack type of person, the Goyard SA in Chicago texted me that the Alpin had arrived in the store and asked if I wanted to purchase it. I had hesitated purchasing the Alpin when I was in Paris, but I decided to buy it this second time around. Price: USD 4730.

Pros:
1) Versatile, can be used as backpack or cross body bag although it is quite bulky as a cross body bag
2) Lots of leather mixed with canvas makes this tan/black combo so pretty and stands out
3) The interior has a padded pocket

Cons:
1) I wish this was a more dedicated backpack with attached padded straps instead of the nylon fabric strap.
2) This is not a bag to carry tons of stuff hiking the back country trails but more of a quick day trip around the city or to the mall. The Alpin is almost a hybrid of the LV Newport backpack and the old LV Runner backpack in some ways.

In summary, this is a unique bag with various ways to carry it. It is by no means going to be my go-to workhorse Goyard bag. However, it does fit into my spectrum of bags for specific uses.

Alpin_01_small.jpg Alpin_02_small.jpg Alpin_03_small.jpg Alpin_04_small.jpg Alpin_05_small.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a backpack person but this is so beautiful. It looks like I could carry over one shoulder. Just try to find a reason to own one :biggrin:. Would you mind provide me with the height and width. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on your beautiful new bag!

Thanks!

I'm not a backpack person but this is so beautiful. It looks like I could carry over one shoulder. Just try to find a reason to own one :biggrin:. Would you mind provide me with the height and width. Thanks in advance.

The dimensions are approximately: 12.75 inches length x 6.25 inches width x 13.8 inches height (note: if you measure from bottom to the top of the exterior handle then the height is about 17 inches).

Reactions: c18027 and Twelve
Thanks for sharing the Alpin backpack! It is gorgeous!

It reminded so much of my old traditional Japanese backpack - randoseru - with specific compartment in front for stationary and accessories!

I was very tempted to get it when I was in Paris but I find the whopping price tag of 3500 Eur for a backpack hard to swallow! Also, I have the concern that the big front leather flap is prone to scratch (in only they could use the grained leather) and also like what you mentioned, the rather awkward looking nylon straps! Perhaps, I am just finding excuse to control my obsession.

Enjoy the bag!

Hello, great choice of bag, very classy.

I'll be visiting Paris next month and considering purchasing this bag as I feel the mens range has suffered quite a bit since the Grand Bleu range has been discontinued.

How sturdy is the bag? do you stuff it when not in use? How has the condition held up?

Also, I would be interested to find out how often you use it & what you carry in it if that's not too personal :smile:

I think If I decide to purchase one, It would be my city bag and I'd probably carry my Senat MM, a sweater and some other essentials (perhaps a 13 inch macbook).

Do you think this bag would a be suitable city/day trip/shopping bag?

IMG_0870.JPG
Hello, great choice of bag, very classy.

I'll be visiting Paris next month and considering purchasing this bag as I feel the mens range has suffered quite a bit since the Grand Bleu range has been discontinued.

How sturdy is the bag? do you stuff it when not in use? How has the condition held up?

Also, I would be interested to find out how often you use it & what you carry in it if that's not too personal :smile:

I think If I decide to purchase one, It would be my city bag and I'd probably carry my Senat MM, a sweater and some other essentials (perhaps a 13 inch macbook).

Do you think this bag would a be suitable city/day trip/shopping bag?

Hi. Sorry for not replying sooner as I was on vacation. Quite honestly, I took the bag with me on a trip to Tokyo. The bag held up pretty well initially on the first part of my trip. Unfortunately, halfway through my trip the leather handle came apart at the base where it attaches to the bag. I had some concerns when I first bought the bag regarding the base of the handle where it attaches to the bag. I took my chances and luck ran out in this case. I texted my SA at Goyard in Chicago immediately with a picture who was shocked as well. Despite other people's problems with getting bags repaired or taken back by Goyard, my SA told me that I could send it back for repairs or return it for credit towards a different bag of same or higher value and pay the difference. I returned to bag and got a red Crosiere 50 instead.

So, it's a nice bag, but I don't think it's ready for primetime as a daily use bag due to design issues with the leather handles. I think if Goyard had designed the handle like the one on the Voltaire or St. Lucie, then maybe it would have held up better. Good luck deciding.

Reactions: edgar.kings
View attachment 3713892

Hi. Sorry for not replying sooner as I was on vacation. Quite honestly, I took the bag with me on a trip to Tokyo. The bag held up pretty well initially on the first part of my trip. Unfortunately, halfway through my trip the leather handle came apart at the base where it attaches to the bag. I had some concerns when I first bought the bag regarding the base of the handle where it attaches to the bag. I took my chances and luck ran out in this case. I texted my SA at Goyard in Chicago immediately with a picture who was shocked as well. Despite other people's problems with getting bags repaired or taken back by Goyard, my SA told me that I could send it back for repairs or return it for credit towards a different bag of same or higher value and pay the difference. I returned to bag and got a red Crosiere 50 instead.

So, it's a nice bag, but I don't think it's ready for primetime as a daily use bag due to design issues with the leather handles. I think if Goyard had designed the handle like the one on the Voltaire or St. Lucie, then maybe it would have held up better. Good luck deciding.

So sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. But on the bright side, you now got the red croisiere 50 , (like mine)! I am sure the croisiere will be a lot more practical bag.

View attachment 3713892

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that happened! I'm glad to hear they were willing to remedy the problem

Reactions: R8ted_mmm
:blah::no:Just read about the cracked leather on your beautiful back pack.
So glad to read Chicago gave you great service.
I'm assuming it was the Neiman's location. I have been pleased with their CS in the past.
Enjoy your new Croisiere.