Le Pompidou Clutch V.3

jennirane

HHHottiecuffpower!
Nov 8, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Since there's some interest in separate threads, I thought I'd start a new reveal thread for the new (third) version of the Pomp. Mine's Bitter Lime, and I'll do a reveal w/pics over the next hour or so...

Sunlight/non-flash pics will have to wait until tomorrow, and I'm not promising any mod pics right now :weird:

But other new versions of Pomps could be revealed in this thread if anyone wants to! Comments and questions welcome!

Now the review... As backstory, I've only ever owned Le Pomp V.2 (one in black and two in VCP). I prefer (and probably still do but am a sucker for odd greens) the Pilot, but think this new version is pretty wonderful. The main change in structure is the loss of the interior divider, which I like. I'll tend to use this as a clutch (so keys, lip balm, etc., rather than a ton of cards). However, I do miss the extra card slots and ESPECIALLY the long "bill" slots. The webbing strap, while wider and substantially nicer than the V.2 one, is still not really long enough for me to use X-body, unfortunately. I think (just a guess) that Toni uses her own body shape as a measure for straps and such, and she's got my sister's long legs and shorter torso. So even at its longest, this one makes the Pomp hit right at the top of my hip, which doesn't look great or feel great. I will likely not be using it. But I'll definitely use the wrist strap, which seems sturdy and easy to get on even over my bigger hands.

Style-wise, it seems that some of the details are a little chunkier, which I like. The zipper pulls and places where the leather joins are a little more edgy/architectural. The contrast stitching actually makes the black zipper track work beautifully, IMHO.

The Bitter Lime isn't quite as yellow as it had looked in Toni's swatches... it's a little cooler, a little more of a "normal" lime (i.e. it's not all that close to the wonderful baby poo of Khaki Patent :P) but it's still gorgeous. And the patent is lower-sheen than the CPs (see pics next to my Pilot and Wallet), and you can see the veining on the leather really beautifully. I think it will wear great--patents are perfect for wallets, with all the hand oils and such.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and think this is the Pomp I'll finally keep and use. The green is just "off" enough to be interesting, but soft enough that it'll work with most neutrals and tones. Quite pleased with it!!

Now the pics...

Of course, Ada had to get in on the action :P
Oh, and the canvas "feather" lining is WONDERFUL. Thicker canvas, and a beautiful design. Works well with the leather, actually.

Attachments

• pomp1.jpg
    pomp1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 570
  • pomp2.jpg
    pomp2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 553
  • pomp3.jpg
    pomp3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 572
  • pomp4.jpg
    pomp4.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 578
  • pomp5.jpg
    pomp5.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 550
Note: These are all in indoor, low light, without flash. I'll take some in daylight tomorrow and you'll get a sense of the color as a bit cooler...

(Gratuitous shot of the Orla Kiely shopping bag I picked up in Covent Garden :P)

Attachments

• pomp10.jpg
    pomp10.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 594
  • pomp9.jpg
    pomp9.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 538
  • pomp8.jpg
    pomp8.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 543
  • pomp7.jpg
    pomp7.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 543
  • pomp6.jpg
    pomp6.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 543
And the last five for tonight...
iPhone (3) fits perfectly in the front pocket, and the Bitter Lime looks wonderful with the wee little bit of green in the PM Graphic Plaid pattern!!

Attachments

• pomp11.jpg
    pomp11.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 544
  • pomp12.jpg
    pomp12.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 542
  • pomp13.jpg
    pomp13.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 531
  • pomp14.jpg
    pomp14.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 527
  • pomp15.jpg
    pomp15.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 533
Great review, gorgeous!! I'm dying to get a SLG in one of the new vintage patents - looks ready for my dog-walking (read: disaster prone and often outdoors) city life.

Jenni, thank you for the awesome write-up and pics! I think you *might* have actually sold me on the contrast zipper. It looks great with the bitter lime, which btw, looks incredible!! I would love a bag in this leather!

Mwah!! To you both :smooch:

J, the leather is PERFECT for Boston. Not as glossy as the CPs or Khaki/Black Patents, but rugged. Not peely (I hope/think) like some of the "Shines".

P, I actually really like the contrast on this one. Like I said, the styling is a bit chunkier and more industrial than the earlier version. The contrasting stitching (something I usually dislike) actually helps blend the black zipper track. I dunno. It's very urban and a little rocker, somehow!

I'll take some daylight pics tomorrow!

Ok Jenn, those are great pics, along with a great write up/review.
I absolutely love the color of this Bitter Lime. Love the leather etc. I definitely need several items in this color. Thinkin' Pilot(when made:graucho:, this Pomp, and a bag. Have to save those pennies.:biggrin:

Again, the pics are awesome. Love the pics with Ada, OK and of course the Pomp!!:P
Without the divider it may be the perfect "case" for my glucometer etc.:biggrin:

^^ Lauri, I was thinking that... I think this version will work better for glucometer and definitely a stash of Skittles or whatnot. Someone who has an older version as well should compare the width, because for some reason I think this one's a hair wider in the main compartment. And ITA, the Bitter Lime is divine! :love:

LOL I just noticed that Wrigley popped into the second of the pics with Ada... it looks like she's grooming her sister!:love:

Gah! I DID NOT want one of these till I started seeing these pictures! Dang it, you guys!!
I am a big woman and my mother used to make such fun of one of my aunts who was about my size for carrying a little purse, I think it rubbed off on me. I really didn't think she looked bad but my mom could be so vicious.
I just bought a wallet (and a Biblio) from someone on Bonanza, so I should be banned, but I have a birthday in April and a Pomp in Turk or Atlantic would be sooo nice. Not too sure what I think about pre-ordering though.

Mitzy, I totally get where you're coming from (both in terms of being a big girl AND the impossible mom LOL). I'm 5'8" and about 170lbs post-holidays, with huge feet and hands and long ape-like limbs :roflmfao: My favorite bags are HUGE. I could carry a toddler in my Balenciaga Courier or my PM Saffron Cannes Tote.

But when you tend to carry big bags, it makes sense to have an organizer like this one to fit inside. That's how I'll use this--not so much as a wallet, since I don't carry a checkbook or a ton of cards--but as something with a few cards, my keys and phone and lip balm, that I can toss in a larger bag or my Timbuk2 campus bag, then grab out for when I run into the grocery or wine store on my way home. Likewise, it's a great travel case--would fit your phone and a small camera easily.

Not to enable or anything! :devil:

Gracis jenni!!!

I so want one of these. and want to order one w/o even having the Lorca in my clutches. (!!!:P)

Bitter Lime or Turks??? I have a disproportionate number of blue bags!

I have another student to tutor: this paves the way for a pomp! What to do...?

Holy hell, Jenni, we do need to catch up! :shocked: I'll come to Colorado if I have to! :P