Lauren Merkin.com - Terrible CS!!!

yellowtulip

Apr 4, 2008
I ordered a clutch from their site. When I got it the clutch was badly used. I emailed them for a refund and took pictures of the bag and never got a response. This is pretty unheard of to me.

What do you gals think i should do?

That's terrible, you have to be so careful but I would have thought that the actual designers site would be OK. I don't know if there is any redress but I would send them a really stern letter/e-mail saying you will take it further if you are not happy with the response. If you paid with a credit card you can usually get the money back off the credit card company as they insure you (I'm assuming that this is the same for the US as the UK) Good luck and let us know what happens. X

I'm surprised you'd have to ask - send the bag back via a trackable method, contact your credit card company and explain the situation, and they'll do a charge-back and you're all fixed.

Yeah that Kate Spade corporate people kinda ticked me off too but at least they didn't ignore me, that's kinda strange that they would do that. Can you post pics of what they sent you? I'm kinda curious as to what the condition of the bag was in.

I'm surprised you'd have to ask - send the bag back via a trackable method, contact your credit card company and explain the situation, and they'll do a charge-back and you're all fixed.

i have never had this happen to me before so that's why i am asking. i am trying not to resort to going through my credit card company as i feel that is a last resort and this purse was under $150. it usually takes 30+ days to get my money back if i go through my cc and that is obviously not very efficient at all.

by posting i am also letting others know too that just because the name is supposedly reputable doesn't mean ordering online is such a hassle-free thing.

Last edited:
Yellowtulip- You never updated here with the outcome of your phone call, I would really like to know how that went. There are two reasons why I am curious.

1) I'm not sure if it is just me, but I have a serious lack of understanding of why people would send a single e-mail to a company and then take the time to come here and complain before re-sending the e-mail or calling! Is our society that anti-social? It seems more often than not, when someone complains about the poor service they have received on a website, they have not attempted to call to rectify the situation.

Do you not get junkmail? Do you answer every single e-mail you get? I think that (not just with business but in life) if something is really important you really just need to pick up that phone and call. Sometimes an e-mail cannot express the severity of the problem AND it can easily get lost in a flood of mail. When you have something that needs to be taken care of at work or with a friend and you don't hear back from an e-mail, wouldn't you pick up the phone and call then???
I just don't get it. It seems like so many people have this issue and they act like they are helpless as to where to go or what to do next- and they hate the company for it, which just really isn't fair.

2) I am also writing to give a different perspective on the company. I have had extremely positive experiences with Lauren Merkin customer service. I have purchased several bags from them and have gone to their sample sale (great deals!). But after I had purchased my first bag from them, a clutch, several months, maybe even a year later I had an issue with the spring closure. They fixed it no charge, no questions and were very helpful and pleasant. Since then I've been a loyal customer.

So unless things have really changed I believe your situation was a fluke. Things slip through the cracks in every business. They are a pretty small company and I'm sure get overwhelmed at times. While sending you a "used" bag is pretty crappy, things like that happen in every business occasionally and my thought is that you were just the unfortunate one in a thousand that had an unpleasant experience. I am curious to see what happened once you actually got in contact with them because I would be shocked if they didn't rectify the situation.

I did not open this thread to bash Lauren Merkin. I just wanted to express my frustrations which is what we commonly do here on TPF. A used bag is not acceptable on any condition and is illegal if the product was advertised as new. Unless you work for the company, please spare making excuses for them.

E-emailing, for the record, is a common form of communication and I don't know of any relevant company that doesn't use them. E-mail is also convenient and free (not anti-social). Phone calls are not, especially for people who are not in a position to call during business hours because of perhaps, different time zones? :rolleyes: I would appreciate it if you did not make assumptions about me or use this opportunity to get on your soapbox.

NOWHERE in my post did I say I hate this company. Please stop putting words in my mouth. It is condescending and rude. The tone of your post suggests I am at fault for Lauren Merkin sending me a damaged/used product, not vice versa, and I am further at fault for assuming that they would respond to my complaint. I take issue to this. Ever think about the fact if they had got it right the first time then maybe I wouldn't be in this mess to begin with?

Last edited: