Food Latkes!

Leah411

....ever ours
Feb 10, 2006
I made well over a hundred latkes today!

I like to make my latkes ahead of time and freeze them. Then I take out what I need for family gatherings, etc. Keeps the work and mess confined to just one day.

Who else is making latkes for Chanukah? Does anyone make sufganiyot?

Share your traditions and tips!

^^^I've never made latkes, but I love potato pancakes. I've had potato pancakes in Germany. I've often wondered if latkes from German Jewish tradition.

I made well over a hundred latkes today!

I think you need to head on over to my house with those latkes. :roflmfao:

I make Sufaganiyot but I cheat using a frozen Kosher sweet dough by RHODES (it's in a lot of different grocery stores in the freezer section).

I de-thaw it and the kids put different jellies in them before we drop them in oil.

I think you need to head on over to my house with those latkes. :roflmfao:

I make Sufaganiyot but I cheat using a frozen Kosher sweet dough by RHODES (it's in a lot of different grocery stores in the freezer section).

I de-thaw it and the kids put different jellies in them before we drop them in oil.

Hey, I'm all for shortcuts! Now I'm craving sufganiyot!

Have you ever had sufganiyot races? :graucho:

What is a latke?

It's a traditional food for Chanukah.

Kind of like a potato pancake.

IMG_4046.jpg

Potato Latkes! :yahoo:

Ingredients:
10 medium russet or baking potatoes
2 medium onions (I like mine oniony, so I always use more!)
2 large or 3 medium eggs
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, bread crumbs, or matzah meal (I use matzah meal)
Salt and white pepper (optional)
Vegetable oil

1. Peel the potatoes or leave skin on (if not too coarse)...whichever you prefer. Keep the potatoes in cold water until ready to prepare the latkes.

2. Using a food processor or hand grater, alternately grate the onions and the potatoes. This will help keep the potato mixture from blackening. Press out as much liquid as possible and reserve the starchy sediment at the bottom of the bowl. Return the sediment to the mixture.

3. Blend the potato mixture with the eggs, flour, and salt and pepper (if using salt and pepper) to taste.

4. Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan.(I use an electric one to keep the mess off the stove) Drop about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each latke into the skillet and fry, turning once. When golden and crisp on both sides, drain on paper towels.

Serve with sour cream or applesauce. I like mine plain!

I multiply this recipe several times as I make LOTS of latkes. Hundreds. For family and friends. And if I don't take them to my co-workers every year, I get into lots of trouble!

You can make latkes early in the day for a family gathering and just leave out and then reheat them later. Do NOT put them in the frig...they will get soggy. Latkes freeze wonderfully, so you can make a ginormous amount like I do...freeze them...and then take out and reheat as needed.

My version is pretty similar...

Latkes:
2 cups of shredded/grated regular Potatoes (Do not peel them prior)
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3 Tablespoons grated onion
4 tablespoons Flour

Fry them in 4 tablespoons of Cholesteral Free Canola Oil

**I often add shredded carrots for something a little different.