Food Last minute birthday meal?

eff

O.G.
Jan 26, 2006
My mom just dropped it on me that I need to cook a full meal AND a cake for my stepdad's birthday tomorrow. I work all day and money is really super tight right now so I need something cheap/quick. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can throw together? He's a really picky eater and really hates Chinese, Mexican, casseroles, meat loaf, and a bunch of other stuff. I have a slow cooker so anything I could just throw in there would be great. I don't want to disappoint because it's his birthday, what do you guys think?

I would consider a crockpot meal as well. Set it and you are done. Or, something simple like grilled chicken (put it into a marinade before you go to work, grill when you get home. Or, london broil- not expensive at all and it needs to marinade for some time to be good), corn on the cob (10 minutes on the stove) and another side like a salad, starch, etc. Easy but nice meal.

For cake, if you don't have time to bake and frost it, you can always buy a small pack of cupcakes at the grocery store if there are 6 of you or less, a premade cake (my grocery has good ones that aren't the yucky typical birthday ones- like carrot, double chocolate, red velvet, etc.) or even an ice cream cake by Carvel in the freezer section b/c it is summer.

Good luck and have fun!

Agree with the suggestions above but mostly this sounds totally, absolutely unfair to you. Given your job and financial concerns, I don't think it would be unreasonable at all to say you can handle part, say the cake, to do your part, but given the lack of notice it's really unfair to expect you to handle the entire thing.

Perhaps other family members would be willing to help, potluck or all split going out to a restaurant that fits in with his dietary preferences? You're really sweet to be willing to consider doing everything!!