Last car thread, I promise... need legal help

sheishollywood

LiveLaughLove
O.G.
Nov 29, 2006
Where the water is
Some of you know that I have been having problems with the buyer who was wanting to take my car lease over. Well, yesterday we finalized the paperwork and the phone calls are coming in... AGAIN. His wife yesterday was complaining about some of the scratches under the bumper because of the harsh winter we had. I told the guy who actually took over my lease that there is only so many things that I could afford to do with the car before giving it to him.

I didn't have to, but I knew that it would come soon to change the back break pads and the break sensors. This cost me $575.00. I also paid for the lease transfer fee to expedite the sale. This cost me $1135.00. I also GAVE him 4 free "lightly worn" all season tires. They were Nokian and they cost me about... $850.00. I also allowed him to keep my security deposit which is $500.00. Now he is coming back and asking that we "share responsibility" for the scratches that he didn't know about prior to signing over the lease papers.

In the ad it states that there are minor scratches on the bottom of the add. He copied and pasted SOME of the ad in his first email and not the bottom with the scratches, transfer fee info, and my contact information.

I'm holding my ground and saying NO. I have been a push over because I needed this vehicle gone so I could downgrade for school... but this is just getting ridiculous.

If he wanted to take me to court, he would have no grounds would he? I have been as honest as I possibly can and accommodating at that. I don't think I need to pay an addition $1000.00 for some scratches that wasn't my fault that he missed.

Old

Apr 22, 2009
did you have as is
the car isnt new and he should of seen this befor he had tacken the car. i would tell him thats regular wear and tear

chinahopes

Oct 26, 2008
the Beach, SC
no, tell him no and you will be fine. he obviously visually inspected the car before it was transferred into his name. he won't bother taking you to court, and if he does, he will be wasting both his time and his money. if it is all a done deal, don't worry about it at all.

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
Buyer Beware.

It's up to him to get it thoroughly checked out PRIOR to signing the papers. If it was something hidden, that's one thing, but the scratches were clearly there, so either he didn't find them (his fault), or he did them himself (his fault). Stand your ground.

I mean, he could attempt to take you to small claims, but he'd lose.

sheishollywood

LiveLaughLove
O.G.
Nov 29, 2006
Where the water is
Thanks... I just hate that feeling when people make you out to be dishonest. I did all I could to fix what I know would've been expensive and hazardous - like the breaks. I didn't want them to fail. I understand that I may not have took every little thing and disclosed it to him but I showed the car 6 times that day... When he asked about scratches and dents I did tell him about the buggy dent from the grocery store at the back and may have missed telling him about the front (but I don't believe I would've forgotten that). Even though he said "he didn't know until after".

I also paid for a inspection too which was $200.00. I didn't write on the ad that it was "as is" but I did put it in there and I printed it out as well.

I didn't know this could be such an ordeal. But I hope it is over and he doesn't try to contact me in a year when the lease is up.

Last edited: