Lash extensions vs. Latisse vs...?

Thanks all! Not to make things more complicated, but after doing a ton of research I see that yumi "lash lift" is a relatively new alternative that seems to offer the best of both worlds (length and curl without all the upkeep). Has anyone tried it?
i have done it 3 times. it's hit or miss. you need to have already long lashes and a skilled person doing it. 2 out of 3 times it made almost no difference but one of the times it looked amazing.

I considered lash extensions because they look great on so many people, but the upkeep really turns me off, so I ended up getting a lash lift (Yumi lash) and I am obsessed! My lashes look amazing and I get 12+ weeks out of each lift. It curls, separates and tints lashes and I find that I don't even need mascara unless I want them to look dramatic.

Thanks all! Not to make things more complicated, but after doing a ton of research I see that yumi "lash lift" is a relatively new alternative that seems to offer the best of both worlds (length and curl without all the upkeep). Has anyone tried it?

Just saw this after I posted above :smile: I highly recommend the Yumi lash lift!

I considered lash extensions because they look great on so many people, but the upkeep really turns me off, so I ended up getting a lash lift (Yumi lash) and I am obsessed! My lashes look amazing and I get 12+ weeks out of each lift. It curls, separates and tints lashes and I find that I don't even need mascara unless I want them to look dramatic.
i want to try yumi but no one near me does it :sad:

I did latisse for years and now have had extensions for years. I stopped latisse (now I use revitalash) because of reports of fat loss around the eyes...(I'm surrounded by 3 eye doctors in my neighborhood). I LOVE the extensions. If you find a good... I mean really skilled & careful extension-ist [emoji2] they will not damage your lashes. It takes an hour, max for a fill for me every 2-3 weeks. And I literally nap during the process. I have few if any issues and I'm constantly being complimented on them. They can tailor the length to your needs... from totally natural to dramatic.

I'm with you! The BEST part....I schedule a foot/leg massage at the same time. It's the best hour ever!!! [emoji92]

I actually also like the fact that you can't rub your eyes at all...have to be very careful, which I should be anyway. [emoji362]

I discontinued the use of Latisse because I was continually having red eyes and the skin at my lash line was red all the time. It just wasn't worth it after a year. I stopped about 3 months ago and my lashes have stayed full and the redness went away after about 8 weeks.

I got mine from a plastic surgeon and they had me toss the brushes that came with and use a fine eyeliner brush with just one drop, the same one month bottle lasts like 3-4 when you do it that way. Just sterilize the brush regularly and don't put the drop in the cap which will contaminate the bottle. For me, I prefer just using mascara and having my eyes be clear. I should share that I had really great success using Latisse "off label" to fill in spots in my eyebrows. My over plucking in the 90's has been totally remedied with nice natural brows.

I might look into the other serums to try especially if they don't have the inflammation that Latisse can cause.

Oh, I did one set of full extensions and had a reaction to the glue-all my lashes fell out in 3 days!

I used to have both and saw no effect after Latisse and doing extension for a couple of years without any "stops" so, I'm quite satisfied and know that the main thing is to find the right master and take care of your lashes after the procedure in the right way. Actually, my natural ones are not that much expressive while with extension my eyes become more "open" and I wet them twice a day in order to escape any infection (was advised by my master) and don't worry about loosing my own ones once I stop doing the extension, cuz I won't loosing I know it for sure. Plus, with the extension you'll spend twice less time in the morning for doing your daily makeup. I sometimes go out even without applying any cosmetics and still look good.

Reactions: staceyjan
Latisse works but a few problems can occur as mentioned above: redness at application site, irritation which I had but kept using because it made my lashes look great. It can also discolor light eyes (blue or green can turn brown from it), which I did not experience with 5+ years of use. What made me stop and switch to lash extensions was the loss of fat around my eyes. I gained weight but pictures of my face looked skull like to me for some reason and then I realized my eyes appeared sunken due to loss of fat under my eyes and worsening of blue/dark under eye circles as a result. I don't think it has completely reversed even after 4 months of stopping.

I used to have both and saw no effect after Latisse and doing extension for a couple of years without any "stops" so, I'm quite satisfied and know that the main thing is to find the right master and take care of your lashes after the procedure in the right way. Actually, my natural ones are not that much expressive while with extension my eyes become more "open" and I wet them twice a day in order to escape any infection (was advised by my master) and don't worry about loosing my own ones once I stop doing the extension, cuz I won't loosing I know it for sure. Plus, with the extension you'll spend twice less time in the morning for doing your daily makeup. I sometimes go out even without applying any cosmetics and still look good.
I am on my first set of extensions and wondering if you have any other secrets your master shared? I was avoiding getting them wet but after researching on this thread, I started to get them wet.

I use Latisse for glaucoma for the last year. I have light blue eyes and very light, thin skin. It does make lashes thicker and longer and have had no problems. I have always had very sensitive eyes, so that is saying something. I even use a qtip of it on my (overplucked from youth) eyebrows. I haven't had any brown stain, but if that would be a problem then a person should use Vaseline on under eye like my hair dresser does when she dyes my eyebrows to keep the dye from leaking over the edge. It will not make blue eyes change colors, but brown eyes may turn darker on some people, but rarely. All in all, nothing will make your eyelashes grow like Latisse (or it's generic brand.) it will take at least 6 weeks to see any change.

I have lash extensions on and off and love them. If you go to a skilled and careful person, your own lashes should not be damaged. I also use Revitalash on my natural lashes and on my eyebrows. I find it works better than Latisse on brows. I won't use Latisse on my lashes because of the color change risk - I have seen it happen to people with green eyes like mine and I'd be devastated.
Personally I don't like mascara, or any makeup really, so the extensions make a real difference to me.
The Yumi lift or lash perm will curl your lashes and includes a tint, but I find any kind of lash tint makes my lashes shed more than usual.
Basically - IMO-
Latisse works but does have side effects and is pricey
Revitalash/Revitabrow to me works as well
Neither will give you the same result as extensions
Extensions are also pricey and require regular (every 2 weeks) upkeep
- so it is a choice of lifestyle and budget. I love having the extensions but there are times when the maintenance is really annoying and I give them up.

Reactions: WingNut
I have lash extensions on and off and love them. If you go to a skilled and careful person, your own lashes should not be damaged. I also use Revitalash on my natural lashes and on my eyebrows. I find it works better than Latisse on brows. I won't use Latisse on my lashes because of the color change risk - I have seen it happen to people with green eyes like mine and I'd be devastated.
Personally I don't like mascara, or any makeup really, so the extensions make a real difference to me.
The Yumi lift or lash perm will curl your lashes and includes a tint, but I find any kind of lash tint makes my lashes shed more than usual.
Basically - IMO-
Latisse works but does have side effects and is pricey
Revitalash/Revitabrow to me works as well
Neither will give you the same result as extensions
Extensions are also pricey and require regular (every 2 weeks) upkeep
- so it is a choice of lifestyle and budget. I love having the extensions but there are times when the maintenance is really annoying and I give them up.
THANK YOU! It's so helpful that you tried all three options since that's exactly what I am looking for. I did try yumi and loved the curl, but still had to wear mascara every day, which kinda defeated the purpose for me. Also, the results only lasted about 2.5 weeks or so. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and try extensions. I am looking for a more dramatic "wake up and go" look that I don't think I will be able to achieve otherwise. Thanks, everyone! This has been so incredibly helpful.

THANK YOU! It's so helpful that you tried all three options since that's exactly what I am looking for. I did try yumi and loved the curl, but still had to wear mascara every day, which kinda defeated the purpose for me. Also, the results only lasted about 2.5 weeks or so. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and try extensions. I am looking for a more dramatic "wake up and go" look that I don't think I will be able to achieve otherwise. Thanks, everyone! This has been so incredibly helpful.
I'm glad it helped! You can get extra curl in your extensions too - a good artist can show you how :smile:

Has anyone had any experience with the Rodan & Fields lash booster? I'd like to try it since Latisse leaves me with red, itchy eyes but don't want to pay the price if it doesn't work well or at all. TIA!

Lash extensions are addicting! I’ve had mine for 2 years. I had to go to 3 salons and 8 techs before I found the one I really like. I go to a salon that offers unlimited lash refills a month. This helps since refills could cost $60 every two weeks.

I’m Asian and Have thin lashes so even with extensions they look full but not glamorous. I upgraded to the volume lashes which has 3 pieces attached to one of your lashes. Love it.

I have been tempted to take my lashes off and get Latisse prescribed but I can’t because I don’t like how I look without lashes anymore.

I heard that as long as whatever you put on your extensions isn’t oil based that you can use enhancers with them. I think Latisse May be an option