Laser treatment for dark pigmentation

Xolissaa

Nov 19, 2013
Hi! I have no idea what section would this be posted on, but I'm in desperate need of help to find someone/somewhere in LA to help me with my dark pigmentation around my mouth area + lips. Any suggestions? Thank u! IMG_1503862412.989042.jpg IMG_1503862429.921341.jpg

Sassys

Please get some Common Sense
O.G.
May 14, 2006
NYC
I just finished 4 rounds of Fraxel Restore treatments. It got rid of all my dark spots and melasma. At first I was sceptical but it was worth the money. Very expensive. People think I am wearing makeup when I don't have a drop of makeup on. Best decision I ever made (tears of happiness). Here is a thread I did on it. My doc is in NYC. But this is the exact procedure I had.

I lost my before pics on my phone but saved them to my work laptop. I'm amazed every time I look at my before and after pics. I might do one more session on my right cheek, because there is faint unevenness that I see.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/fraxel.964338/

Last edited:
Reactions: uhpharm01

Gats

Jul 14, 2016
BC can cause the type of darkening you're experiencing, stopping it may eventually fade the dark areas as your melanin production goes back to normal. I'd try topical treatments (ex. vitamin c serum, rx hydroquinone) before invasive treatments like laser which I don't think can be used on your lips. You gotta be careful with lasers since it can cause hyper or hypo-pigmentation with darker skin types if they use the wrong laser and/or laser setting on you. Good luck!

Sassys

O.G.
May 14, 2006
NYC
BC can cause the type of darkening you're experiencing, stopping it may eventually fade the dark areas as your melanin production goes back to normal. I'd try topical treatments (ex. vitamin c serum, rx hydroquinone) before invasive treatments like laser which I don't think can be used on your lips. You gotta be careful with lasers since it can cause hyper or hypo-pigmentation with darker skin types if they use the wrong laser and/or laser setting on you. Good luck!
I would also add, finding a doc that knows skin of color. My doc is the chief of dermatology here in NYC and is a man of color who works with lasers for patients if color. I am trying to find my cousin a doc in LA but have no luck so far. I wish I could post my before and after pics now. It's amazing what Fraxel did for me.

Gats

Jul 14, 2016
I would also add, finding a doc that knows skin of color. My doc is the chief of dermatology here in NYC and is a man of color who works with lasers for patients if color. I am trying to find my cousin a doc in LA but have no luck so far. I wish I could post my before and after pics now. It's amazing what Fraxel did for me.
Glad it worked for you! I didn't know fraxel could used with darker skin types. Did they laser your whole face or just spot treat the dark areas and spots?

BTW, I've seen this Beverly Hills dermatologist on youtube, he seems to treat darker skin types:

Xolissaa

Nov 19, 2013
Wow! I did not expect to see replies.. as I lost hope when I went to a few places + posted on real self... thank u so much!! I will be checking out your thread post & gats thank u! I will also check out the doctors.
All resources are welcomed and much appreciated.

Sassys

O.G.
May 14, 2006
NYC
Glad it worked for you! I didn't know fraxel could used with darker skin types. Did they laser your whole face or just spot treat the dark areas and spots?

BTW, I've seen this Beverly Hills dermatologist on youtube, he seems to treat darker skin types:
Yes, it is a myth it can't be used on black skin. You have to find a doc that works with black skin. I had my entire face done. My 4th session was just my cheeks. I will do a 5th session next month on right cheek only. I had dinner last night with a friend who did not believe I wasn't wearing foundation. I had to rub tissue on my face to prove it lol.

Sassys

O.G.
May 14, 2006
NYC
Pics of a woman who did one session of Fraxel. I forget what website I found this pic

Before
IMG_5708.PNG

After
IMG_5709.PNG

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
Yes, it is a myth it can't be used on black skin. You have to find a doc that works with black skin. I had my entire face done. My 4th session was just my cheeks. I will do a 5th session next month on right cheek only. I had dinner last night with a friend who did not believe I wasn't wearing foundation. I had to rub tissue on my face to prove it lol.
I have a bit of a pigmentation above my mouth...doctor wants $800 to do my face...not sure if it's the same process as you had. I think you can get laser from clinics that have nurses do it but not sure about the risk on that.
does $800 seem right?