Laser hair removal......let's discuss!

My friend had it done on her armpits...must of taken her >5 times for the hair to not grow back. Only a few areas had grown back after a few months. She pretty happy with it, but you still need to do touchup depending on how stubborn your hair is.

Karla said:
I would LOVE to get laser hair removal but i have olive toned skin and dark hair and the lasers don't work well on darker skin. I've heard there are different kinds of lasers now that are safe and effective if you have olive toned skin - has anyone had any experience with laser hair removal on darker skin?

Laser is attracted to melanin. That is, it loves darker hair. That is why it doesn't work on blonde hairs.
I had laser done on my chin and lips. I applied EMLA cream (Eutectic mixture of Lidocaine) about an hour before and it realy didnt hurt much. But then again I am used to waxing, plucking, threading sugraing...everything you can think of!:yucky: :crybaby:

PAIN FOR BEAUTY!!!!!!!!

The funny thing the laser tech gives me a squeeze ball when she does the area. Next I will do my underarms!:yahoo:

I had my underarms done last year. I think I had to go every 6-8 weeks or something like that. I went to Hair Today Gone Tomorrow (I hate that name) and I believe it was $600 or so. It pretty much took care of all of it, but I still have really thin hairs that I'll get waxed every few months. Overall, I wasn't 100% thrilled with the results just because there is some on-going maintenance but I haven't had to shave in a really long time. I'd like to eventually get my bikini done (Brazilian) and toes, even though there's maybe 3 hairs on each of my big toes, I can't stand them.

i had it done a couple years ago under my arms about 5 or 6 times and it worked for a while. i only had to shave about one every other week-but i didn't keep for long! i'm a redhead so the light doesn't attach itself as well. as some mentioned, it works better on dark, coarse hair so it can really attach itself well. my dad is a plastic surgeon and has one in his office so it was free but i sure would have been mad to fork over all that $$$$ for non-lasting results!!!

burukogepanda said:
Anyone has any suggestion of where to go for laser removal for lower legs and underarm in the bay area? Also can anyone tell me how long is one treatment session? ;)

my session only lasted for like 10 minutes, it might be more lke 30 for a larger area, i'm not sure.

burukogepanda: I got my laser done at Premier Dermatology in San Carlos. Orignially Dr. Jhin did the laser, but then she hired Gayla who is a registered nurse and I love her! I think that Dr. Jhin has an office in San Francisco but I'm not sure if she offers laser services there.

Premier Dermotology San Carlos:

Hope that helps:flowers:

honu said:
burukogepanda: I got my laser done at Premier Dermatology in San Carlos. Orignially Dr. Jhin did the laser, but then she hired Gayla who is a registered nurse and I love her! I think that Dr. Jhin has an office in San Francisco but I'm not sure if she offers laser services there.

Premier Dermotology San Carlos:

Hope that helps:flowers:
Thank you Honu!! Do you know how much do they charge for lower leg and underarm? :shame:

I think it's $350 for lower legs each time. I had it done 3 times. $150 for underarms (also 3x). I don't think they've changed the prices, I got it done last year.

It's actually cheaper if you buy a package, I should have done that...I could have saved some money but not much, I could have paid under $1000 for my legs. I wanted to do it 3 times because I was waiting to see what happened with the hair on my legs and I can say that its been reduced by 90%, I still get hair but it's really thin and lighter in color. I just epilady or wax the hair, which I don't mind. I was happy with my results. I think it I wanted to get rid of all of it I'd have to do it a couple more times.

Burukogepanda, what part of the bay area do you live in? I am from SF and I go to the Advanced Laser Clinics to get mine done. They have an office in Berkeley and another in Sausalito. I went to the Berkeley office for my first few visits and then transferred to Sausalito since it was closer to home. It cost me about $1500 for underarms and lower legs. (That is the package price, which includes 6 sessions, and a year one guarantee, so if hair grows back after 6 sessions, you can come back as many times as you want for one year for free).

Hey girls, I saw this and I just went to get a price quote... I've been contemplating this for a while... so I am getting a full leg, with the extended bikini... which at my place isn't a brazillian but a little more than the basic bikini. And so for all that I was quoted $3200... it basically covers 6 treatments and then as soon as the 6th one is done, I get 2 years of touch ups free afterward... At my dermatologist it is over $5000! So this sounds good, relatively, but I'm looking at some of the prices listed and mine seems high.... is it a rip off?