large veneta vs campana

pixiejenna

O.G.
Apr 5, 2009
I'm beginning to contemplate what I want my first BV to be. I actually joined TPF to learn more about BV and quickly became distracted by other bags along the way. So I'm thinking I need to refocus and finally purchase my first BV. So I want a bit of input from you guys who currently have one of or both of and please give me your input on these two bags.

I generally don't carry a ton of stuff day to day I generally go for medium size bags because I am one of those people who when using a larger bag tend to carry a lot more junk than I need(and then wonder why my bag is so heavy lol). However I am 5'3 plus size so a part of my decision between these two bags is the shoulder drop length of them are both listed at 10 inches, which is important too me especially when your wearing a winter coat. Size wise the medium veneta would most likely be more ideal for my day to day needs. However the shoulder drop length listed is 7.8 which I fear would make it a pit purse for me with a winter coat on(and I don't want that).

When I look at the veneta I love the look of it, it's the first style I think of when I think of BV. It is the first BV bag that really made me pay attention to BV. I will admit I do tend to have a bit of a love/hate relationship with hobo style bags. I start off loving them and then get annoyed when I have to take them off my shoulder to get stuff out of them.

The other style I'm considering is the campana I think it might be slightly easier to get stuff out of with out always having to take it off your shoulder as it has a wide opening. While the size of it is smaller than the large vendeta it's notably deeper so I'm guessing it potentially carry more stuff. I know all leather bags break in and soften with use I am curious if the shape of this bag would look funny because I won't be carrying a lot of stuff in it would the shape of it look distorted? My other consern with this style is the two shoulder straps, do they tend to stay put or dose the outer strap like to slip off your shoulder?

So which style should I take the plunge with? Please give me some feedback about what your likes & dislikes for these styles.

Hi pixiejenna! I don't know if I am the right one to answer you since I do not own a large in either style. I own the medium Veneta and it works for me. Your concern about not being able to wear it over a coat is valid but then, I only wear hobo style bags and find that no matter how long the drop, they slip off a coat shoulder. As far as the getting into it while it's on your shoulder, the Compana style wins. The large Compana is my dream bag. I love everything about it. I don't think the double handle thing would bother me that much. If you put the outer strap over the inner strap, it's usually secure. I haven't made the plunge due to the openess of the top since I wear my hobos slung back.

I love your dilemma! My suggestion is to disect the reference thread and more importantly, to visit a boutique if you can. Have fun shopping!

I doubt if a medium Veneta will fit over a coat regardless of your height. I found the straps on the Campana to be a problem but I love the style. My favorite style is the large Veneta and I think it looks great even on more petite women (I'm 5'5"). Is there any way you can try them on? If double strap bags haven't caused you problems before, go with the Campana style. It is easier to get into and has an easier shape to the drop.

Good luck!

Hi, Pixiejenna! Good to see you here in the BV forum!

I have both a large Veneta and a large Campana, and I love them both for different reasons. I am 5'5 and curvy rather than slender, with what I consider to be larger than average upper arms.

I love the slim shape of the Veneta, and the fact that it keeps my belongings organized--its rather flat shape means that I can carry a wallet, cosmetic case, sunglasses in case, keys and cell phone and find everything easily because nothing rattles around in the bag. I actually find it more "organized" than the Bal City, which I know you are familiar with, because its slim profile keeps belongings snug. (I love the Bal, but it's a totally different bag--just trying to give you a useful comparison here.) But I have to take the Veneta bag off of my shoulder to find anything at all, and while the bag fits easily on the shoulder without a coat and isn't actually anywhere near my armpit, I still wish it were a bit of a longer drop so it didn't LOOK so close to my armpit when I wear it, if that makes sense. I never have any problem with it staying put on my shoulder. I love it for its simple, slim profile, and I think I'll always own a large Veneta in a classic color.

I have a white large Campana and love it, too. It feels like a luscious pile of leather that folds against the body when I wear it, so even though it will hold more than a large
Veneta, it doesn't feel so much larger when I'm wearing it. But it is actually MUCH bigger--it's significantly wider and slouches much more when I put it down, and the same belongings in it that I would carry in the Veneta kinda flop around in it, so that things are less organized when I put it down. It is easier to access items in it when I have it on my shoulder than the Veneta, because I can pull one strap out and stick my hand in it, but I don't feel insecure about my belongings, because while I can get into it easily, I don't think when I have my arm down it would be so easy for someone else to get into it while it's on my shoulder, if that makes sense. And when it comes to staying on my shoulder, the strap drop is very comfortable and the straps work fine if I cross the outer strap over the inner--no sliding. I only have a problem with it sliding when I have it on my shoulder and try to reach down to pick up something heavy, but that's more because the weight of the bag makes it swing than because of the shoulder straps. It's a big bag, but so deliciously slouchy and drapey that I only notice it is big when it's OFF my body, like in my lap or when I put it down on a chair or table. I haven't tried the medium Campana, but am not sure I'd like the strap drop on it.

I really do love them both. If you forced me to choose it would be very hard. I might choose the Campana because I just love the shape and slouch of it, but that doesn't mean I don't love the Veneta, too. I would really recommend going in to the city and trying both on--they are so different, I think that's the only way you'll know what works for you.

I hope that's helpful. Keep us posted on your decision!

Hi, and welcome to BV!

Are you considering the large Veneta versus medium Campana, or is it the large Campana?

I have both a medium Veneta and a large Veneta. I'm 5'2" and on the slim side, and I don't have any difficulty with either of these bags with a winter coat. I've noticed that as the bags soften, the opening between the strap and the zipper becomes more and more oval and less half-moon shaped, which elongates the drop (does that make sense?). But for sure, the large is rather easier to wear over a coat than the medium.

I don't vary the contents of my bag based on the size--the same stuff tends to go in, regardless. Obviously, the large is easier to fit "extra" items than the medium (like if I have a jumbo-sized sunglass case, or want to carry a larger wallet in conjunction with a cosmetic case. But usually I only carry a continental-size wallet, my iPhone, keys, a small cosmetic case (that holds pocket tissues, lipstick, small mirror), and sometimes glasses or sunglasses.

I think the medium on me can go with business attire more easily than the large. The large is strictly casual because it sits lower towards my hips than the medium. But I love both sizes--which is why I have one of each! But it's a matter of proportion on an individual's body. My friend is taller and bigger than I am, and she uses her large the same way I use my medium.

As for the Campana, I've only tried on the medium size, and I considered it. I preferred the top zipper on the Veneta. Also, I find the single handle to be very comfortable and easy to wear. I've read someone's comment here that the large Campana is heavier than expected, but I can't verify that. My Venetas are so, so light.

It's a matter of taste on how each one will look on you, too. The Veneta looks flat as a pancake in most photos, but the leather is not rigid, so it fills out and holds quite a bit. The Campana has more structure in its design, so the gusset profile and the flat panels remain as they are. The capacity is in the gusset depth.

Good luck deciding!

I have a large Veneta and I'm also a fluffy gal and 5'3". I don't like the drop very much..if I lived somewhere that required a winter coat I would be in trouble. It works fine with a sweater or jacket but I don't think it would with a coat. I do love this bag and it's a classic but so is the Campana which I don't own. I own 2 Cervo hobo's and I love both of them and I know they aren't woven all over but they are a great hobo. The arm area is larger and more able to handle a coat (I think) In the end It's best if you can to try them both out in a store. See what you like. ;)

It's very tough decision. Like others said, they serve different purpose :smile: I fell in love with Large Veneta as my first BV and then a few months later I got introduced to a Campana. Campana is a beautiful bag. I would prefer a medium size vs. a large one. I am petite (5') and I think Large Veneta is a great size. However, when I tried on the Large Campana, I felt it's too big for me. Each style comes with pros and cons. Both are gorgeous bags. I think it's a matter of which one is your first BV ;) Once you purchase a BV, it's just a matter of time you have another one.

The drop on the medium campana is similar to that of the large veneta. if i ever got another campana (which i won't b/c the outer strap "hovers" above my shoulder), i'd get the large campana in hopes of it laying on the shoulder better. That said - proportionally, the campana (i don't think i'm alone on this) is a gorgeous bag & easier to retrieve items from (but i wouldn't say it's "easy" to get into ... i owned a medium campan & would still take it off my shouder to retrieve items).

The suggestion above ^^^ about the cervo hobo seems a good one if you're looking for a longer drop (i've never owned the cervo hobo ... but it does seem to "hang" lower on the body than the Venetas; a potential fit issue worth considering).

Also - you might consider the original/reissued/old Pyramid style. It is a shoulder bag w/ a convertible strap -- either cross-body (long version) or (shorter version) tucked under shoulder, but even in the short position the drop is a bit longer than that of the Veneta. The older Pyramid style is hard to find (not available on web site, though you can find it at some individual boutiques). full disclosure: it's my personal favorite.

Also - you might consider the original/reissued/old Pyramid style. It is a shoulder bag w/ a convertible strap -- either cross-body (long version) or (shorter version) tucked under shoulder, but even in the short position the drop is a bit longer than that of the Veneta. The older Pyramid style is hard to find (not available on web site, though you can find it at some individual boutiques). full disclosure: it's my personal favorite.

dpt has a great point. I did not know RP exist until one of the SAs introduced it to me. If you like a longer strap, yes, I'd say original pyramid is great. I am using mine for every day usage since it can be dressy at work and it can be casual when I run errands so it's convenient. I love it! It gets softer and softer every day as I use it. I would suggest you visit BV boutique and try out all the styles you have in mind & make decision from there (of course, after listening to all input here)..good luck!

I have the med veneta and large campana. For med veneta, i do need to remove it from my shoulder in order to retrieve my stuffs. Not very sure abt the large veneta as i dun own one yet. Whereas for large campana, it is much easier to retrieve things. Like what the ladies suggested, do visit the store and try on both styles. :P

I have the med veneta and large campana. For med veneta, i do need to remove it from my shoulder in order to retrieve my stuffs. Not very sure abt the large veneta as i dun own one yet. Whereas for large campana, it is much easier to retrieve things. Like what the ladies suggested, do visit the store and try on both styles. :P
ILYNN ~ Is that an empire medium veneta in your collection photo? *gasp*

Iyes, I'd say original pyramid is great

Thanks , lkweh! It's great to know there's another RP fan in the region :smile: ... & I just added some pictures of the "reissued pyramid" in the style section if it gets on anyone else's radar. My advice, though, is to individual contact boutiques directly about availability rather than going through BV online. I've gotten much better information from the individual boutiques.