Large Black Patent Single - will the coated chain inevitably chip??

Belle79

O.G.
Jan 25, 2010
Hi Ladies. I am very interested in the large black patent Single, because I love silver hw, but I've read that the coated black chain is very prone to chipping and peeling. Should I skip it for this reason? Does anyone have this bag?

Thanks for the info :flowers:

YES!!! Skip it~
My first time seeing a blue patent stam (painted blue chain) was at the Chicago MJ Boutique and I fell in love with it (I love everything blue!). I asked the SA how the chain would wear and she said "shouldnt be any problem". As soon as it came out of her mouth we both saw it: about 3 or so inches of chain links on one side of the chain had deep scratches, exposing the silver link underneath. She was very quick to remove the bag from the shelf and said she was going to return the bag to the warehouse.
I have since seen the black and blue patent bags with painted chain straps at Neimans and Saks and I have not seen one that had a perfect chain; and those were still on the shelves for sale!
I, too, love the patent bags, but stick with the bordeaux or beige (which has silver HW on the larger bags: stam, karlie) or gold on the XL Single.
There is also gold HW on some of the black patent large singles.

Thanks for the great info cooper1, I was looking to buy a patent stam myself but think I might skip now!!

The Bordeaux patent stam is amazing, and it has the silver hardware, so if you like that wine color, I say go for it! I love the beige patent stam the best, but I got some questionable feedback about light colored patents with staining/color transfer so I didnt go for it. But geez, the Bordeaux is incredible!
I wish MJ just did a silver chain for the blue patent stam (aside from the chain the rest of the HW is silver), because the blue is sooooo pretty, but that blue chain just scares me......