Large black duffle or black Rory?

Mom2jtv

Coach Lover
Nov 27, 2012
These bags are similar in size, but I can't decide between the two. I thought it would be a cognac Rory, but now that I have seen that color with the brass hardware it's just not love. Rory is love, though, so I thought maybe a black Rory. Well tonight I went to Macy's and scored a large black duffle for 25/20/10 making her about $215 before our insane sales tax! So now I'm debating whether this bag will satisfy me or if I'll still be yearning for a Rory. The duffles are so comfortable to carry!! And while I like the optional carrying options for Rory, as a shoulder bag, she's just not as comfortable as the duffle.

But the duffles are so plain to me!! I just don't know if I can get over that fact. Why could they have added the extra bit if leather around the base, like in the signature duffles? The Molly and Rory look so good this way and the duffle is just so plain to me without it.

Anyway, for those who have made this decision for me, please weigh in with your thoughts. Even if you own only one, neither or both, I'd love to hear from you.

Rory!!!! I love her!! So much more classic looking, plus it really bugs me that you can't just pick up a duffle and carry it and you have to take the strap off to switch from cross body or shoulder

Comfort is so important to me. Look is too. I'm hoping to snatch a great deal on a black cherry large duffel to overcome how plain the bag is. Whichever I find I plan to dress it up with fobs of different colors. Additionally, comfort trumps it for me over Rory.

The other thing that bugs me about the duffle is the piece of leather sewn up one side. I realize the tassels are on the other side, and maybe it's the slouch thing, but why wasn't it placed on both sides?! I like symmetry, I guess. I own no black bags! And this black leather is gorgeous! But perhaps the Rory is a better option for me. It has the leather strip on both sides!

I have the large black duffle and just purchased the black Rory for exactly the reason you gave. Much as I love the duffle it is just does not give me the option to carry on the arm. The Rory has shoulder, arm, and cross body options. I say the Rory

Sounds like you don't even like the duffle except for the comfort and price. It won't be love and you'll still want the Rory. I wouldn't keep the duffle if I were you.

I haven't heard you say one thing that you didn't like about the rory, I'd go with that one. I love the duffles and while it is simple, I don't find it plain. I think both are excellent choices but it sounds like you are leaning toward the rory more. It's great that the duffle was on sale but that doesn't mean much if you don't love it.

Funny,, i was trying to make this decision until i too scored a lrg black duffle this last week at dillards 30% off sale stuff with the card,,, mine was under 200$,,, so now ive got her,,, but im such a rory lover!!!! im still not sure that i wont just go ahead and get a black rory and keep my duffle too,,, its my second favorite legacy bag style.... & black bags just rock!!! its hard to beat a classy classic black leather bag!! so ill probably use em both alot!! Rory is great for work since its a tote and great for carrying laptop,, folders,, docs etc,,, and duffle is so perfect for casual day off stuff!!

Funny,, i was trying to make this decision until i too scored a lrg black duffle this last week at dillards 30% off sale stuff with the card,,, mine was under 200$,,, so now ive got her,,, but im such a rory lover!!!! im still not sure that i wont just go ahead and get a black rory and keep my duffle too,,, its my second favorite legacy bag style.... & black bags just rock!!! its hard to beat a classy classic black leather bag!! so ill probably use em both alot!! Rory is great for work since its a tote and great for carrying laptop,, folders,, docs etc,,, and duffle is so perfect for casual day off stuff!!
I agree...I don't have the black duffle, but do LOVE my black RORY- STILL have not used my other Christmas bags :smile: I do have a duffle & can see how you might say it's plain, but try having the zipper side showing and add a fob...the black leather bags are all awesome IMO- just works with my clothes/style. I love everything about my rory and felt the same way about all the brass zipper/hardware of the cognac- sooo gorgeous, but I'm more of a silver hardware person and have passed on some other gorgeous bags because of the hardware. I'm finally learning my bag style after many purchases, exchanges, &/or returns ;)

ps. did you ever get your uv candace back? :smile:

Ah, this sounds like the classic dilemma of deciding between fashion and comfort... I can hear both sides of this argument like a little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other. :angel::mad: Lol!

If you feel the duffle is too plain, I would go with the rory. I agree that it is not as comfortable to wear cross body, but I have faith that this will not bother you much as long as you really like the style of the bag.

Also, what do you think of the colorblock duffles? Those are not quite as plain.

Yeah, I chose the Rory because my primary need was a bag for business travel. I have to say, she gets used just as much with sweaters and leggings, just an all-around easy bag to carry. Example is from the other night, I took this pic while hanging out at DS's basketball practice because I thought it showed how slouchy and comfy Rory becomes. Yes, those are my rain boots in the background. Versatile and comfy.

The duffles are great, and I LOVE that style, so I'm holding out for one of the colors. A black duffle though? Not gonna lie, I'm going to be a bad influence because I'd keep both :biggrin: I have a large vintage duffle in black and I'd love one of the new ones.

Official Irresponsible Enabling Statement: with Rory showing up at the outlets AND the killer deal you got today? It's kinda a twofer. And try what someone else suggested with the zipper, it's how I use Rory and it's kinda nifty if I do say so myself.

Attachments

• image-3908979242.jpg
    image-3908979242.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 257
Both? I would love to have both! I am new to this whole purse a day thing haha! I usually find a purse and use it until I get sick of it. Now I want them all!! Alas, my budget does not feel the same. :sad:

Unfortunately I live four hours from the closest outlet so the chances of me finding a Rory there is very slim. I don't quite understand how they are there when they are supposed to be restocked at Coach FP. But I'm still new to this whole game. :smile: I told my husband he should give me this duffle for V-Day and then I'll get the Rory with my "allowance" on the next PCE. Ha ha.

As for my UV Candace, I have let her go for now. When UPS couldn't return the original and I could order again but then I'd be out the cost of both bags until they processed the refund, I decided to just forego for now. They have had the bag for over a week and still no refund. So if I can score one later, great. If not, I'm okay with it. I might do with another color. I'm really liking this black! I hear people talk about all their black bags and I have none. I can kinda see the draw. I really think I like the black Isabelle too! Oh my poor budget.

Thanks for all the kind responses. If the husbAnd gets in board with having the two bags I will keep her for sure. If not, I think I would use the Rory more. Although then my Molly might feel too tiny. That's what I worry about this whole multiple purse thing--giving them all equal time other wise it's just money sitting on a shelf and that makes me feel guilty.

Ohhhh, I feel ya, my sister. I have an outlet 2 hours away but I've never been because reports tell me it's primarily MFF, not that I dislike those (quite the opposite), but I can get that off the FOS and end up saving money if I don't have to buy gasoline both ways. The next closest is 4 hours away, and I can't pop in there easily even when we're there - it's a PITA location from where we stay, and that's with family so it doesn't make sense to spend hotel money to get close to the outlet.

It's HARD to decide, especially when you want to get use out of them. I get emotionally attached so I can't sell them to fund others - this is their forever home.

Rory is awesome, and super versatile. When I first bought her, I was kind of worried about size and structure, but she turned out to be perfect.

Are you on Pinterest? That helps me decide, I look at outfits and see what I like that matches my closet.

I'd go for black Rory! Multiple carrying options, a wider base so your stuff can spread out more inside making it easier to organize, less common in the wild than the ubiquitous duffle, and the long strap can be doubled like the duffle's to give it a more duffle-like carrying style.