Lambskin Quilting Puffiness?

I just wanted to add one more thing. I don't think you should be afraid of not being able to find this bag again or if you do find one, you would be nervous it wouldnt be as nice as this one. If you are spending this type of money the bag should be perfect. You will find another one!!!!

Reactions: Plumeria233
I just wanted to add one more thing. I don't think you should be afraid of not being able to find this bag again or if you do find one, you would be nervous it wouldnt be as nice as this one. If you are spending this type of money the bag should be perfect. You will find another one!!!!

Thank you! You’re so right. It is a lot of money. I really don’t want to settle because I’ve always pictured the med classic to be the iconic bag with the puffy quilting. Especially now that I’ve watched so many youtube videos on classic flaps and they all seem puffier than mine :sad: I need to do this or I will always feel that this is not my dream bag. I am willing to wait for the right one. Thank you for the push I needed. :flowers:

My classic Single Flap jumbo in Caviar leather is 11 years old and still super puffy. So puffy it's almost hard! I love it so.

The quilted diamonds have never deflated. I don't know if it's because it's due to it being Caviar leather vs lamb skin or not. Just wanted to let you know that age doesn't necessarily make quilted bags deflate.

This bag is so amazing, it has really spoiled me for any modern day Chanels that don't measure up in their puffiness. Wish I had known then what I know now, I would have bought more!

So there's a chance that if you find a decently puffy bag, it might stay puffy as it ages. Hope that helps! Don't settle and good luck in your search. :hugs:

Reactions: Plumeria233
Well, here are my long 2 cents, from someone who has been around Chanel since the early 80's, to maybe give you a different point of view, since most of the comparisons are being made to recent bags.
A while ago, before they started making "super fakes", Chanel bags were never this puffed up, so I subconsciously associate the overly stuffed ones with fakes, because more often than not that's what they look like. It has to do with a low stitch per inch count, to keep costs low on something that is not that noticeable (if you don't know what to look for). A high stitch count makes a bag more durable and keeps the quilting looking flatter instead of puffier.
My guess is that Chanel started making "puffier" looking bags so they would take longer to look deflated. How they're achieving that, I don't know (different type of lambskin, padding the leather, playing with the stitch count?). Over the years, the leather looses fatliquor (oil?) and starts to look "deflated" (my apologies if my explanation is not technically perfect).
Anyways, getting to the point (finally lol), I prefer less puffy Chanel bags because first and foremost I find them prettier and more aesthetically pleasing, but I also don't immediately wonder whether it's fake or not.
Hope this helps!

@designer307
about the comparison pictures you posted:
- the flash could have made the bottom bag look puffier because of reflections. Think about highlighting and contouring your face. That's what the flash is doing to the bag. If the person polished their bag, making it shinier, that effect will be even more pronounced.
Or where the light is coming from and hitting the bag.

Last edited:
If ANY Sales Associate is going to understand a clients' desire for super puffy quilts when purchasing a Chanel "Timeless Classic" handbag in BLACK lambskin leather, it IS Joseph and his assistant, Youssef, at Bergdorf Goodman.

They sold me my jumbo black classic flap in lambskin leather with SHW last summer. And the first detail they advertised to me via text was that the quilts were super puffy, followed by sending me a photo:
final.jpg

I purchased the handbag sight unseen, over-the-phone. And I ADORE it! ❤️

The fact that Joseph mentioned to you up-front that the the quilts were not extremely puffy immediately demonstrates that he completely understands that "many/most" of his clients are seeking the most puffy quilts on "this" particular handbag. One could not expect the same on a caviar leather bag in the same style. Please know that you are not being paranoid or asking for too much. :smile:

Joseph wants you to be ✨thrilled✨ with your purchase. You should not settle for anything less than what you desire, especially at these prices and also because another one WILL become available, eventually. It is not a seasonal handbag. Sadly, not knowing how long that wait will be can be frustrating. However, much better to wait a few weeks/months longer in order to enjoy your handbag for the next multiple years/decades to come.

Personally, I would return the handbag to Joseph and explain to him that the quilts were simply much less puffy than you expected despite his disclaimer. This is assuming that you have not worn the handbag and/or clipped off the secured tag. They have a new policy that allows only 60 days for a return. You can ship yourself using his return label, if you received one. A second option is to visit the Customer Service Dept of your local Neiman Marcus and they will ship back to BG for you. I have always done the latter. And of course communicate to Joseph that you are still interested in purchasing this size, style, color and leather classic flap, yet would truly prefer the more standard PUFFY quilts.

"This" is a special detail that not all Chanel bags offer. And since this IS a detail that can be satisfied by this particular iconic handbag, no reason to settle for anything less, especially when paying full-price. I have two additional lambskin jumbo classic flaps in dark pink and bright blue. Both are seasonal classic flaps and both have very limited puffiness in the quilts. I have learned to expect this from the seasonal multi-colored classic flaps. However, when shopppng for my most classic black with burgundy interior lambskin classic flap, I "knew" I wanted the more puffier quilts, the better.

I hope this is helpful. :flowers:

Last edited:
It's gorgeous! I guess the puffiness on jumbo is much more puffy than a m/l. I owned two m/l lambskin in red and pink which is less puffy than my black jumbo.

The bag is gorgeous but I ended up sending it back after much consideration. I don’t want to one day come across the perfectly quilted bag and regret not returning the one I had when I had the chance. I’m willing to wait for the right one. Besides vintage, most of the jumbos I’ve seen have the puffier quilting. I visited Saks recently and noticed that the colored m/l flaps all seemed to have flatter quilting. Not sure if it’s because they are seasonal or if they are starting to make them all that way now. :confused1:

My classic Single Flap jumbo in Caviar leather is 11 years old and still super puffy. So puffy it's almost hard! I love it so.

The quilted diamonds have never deflated. I don't know if it's because it's due to it being Caviar leather vs lamb skin or not. Just wanted to let you know that age doesn't necessarily make quilted bags deflate.

This bag is so amazing, it has really spoiled me for any modern day Chanels that don't measure up in their puffiness. Wish I had known then what I know now, I would have bought more!

So there's a chance that if you find a decently puffy bag, it might stay puffy as it ages. Hope that helps! Don't settle and good luck in your search. :hugs:

Thank you :smile: Your bag sounds perfect! That’s great to hear that after 11 years yours is still super puffy. I take really good care of my bags and if the quilting starts to deflate, I would be so disappointed. I guess that’s why I was having such a hard time deciding whether to send it back or not. On the one hand, I was thinking well I don’t have to worry about the quilting deflating because it’s already flat and on the other hand, I really wanted a puffy one because I love the way the puffy quilting looks. :girlsigh:

Well, here are my long 2 cents, from someone who has been around Chanel since the early 80's, to maybe give you a different point of view, since most of the comparisons are being made to recent bags.
A while ago, before they started making "super fakes", Chanel bags were never this puffed up, so I subconsciously associate the overly stuffed ones with fakes, because more often than not that's what they look like. It has to do with a low stitch per inch count, to keep costs low on something that is not that noticeable (if you don't know what to look for). A high stitch count makes a bag more durable and keeps the quilting looking flatter instead of puffier.
My guess is that Chanel started making "puffier" looking bags so they would take longer to look deflated. How they're achieving that, I don't know (different type of lambskin, padding the leather, playing with the stitch count?). Over the years, the leather looses fatliquor (oil?) and starts to look "deflated" (my apologies if my explanation is not technically perfect).
Anyways, getting to the point (finally lol), I prefer less puffy Chanel bags because first and foremost I find them prettier and more aesthetically pleasing, but I also don't immediately wonder whether it's fake or not.
Hope this helps!

@designer307
about the comparison pictures you posted:
- the flash could have made the bottom bag look puffier because of reflections. Think about highlighting and contouring your face. That's what the flash is doing to the bag. If the person polished their bag, making it shinier, that effect will be even more pronounced.
Or where the light is coming from and hitting the bag.

That’s interesting. I never thought of it that way. I have noticed that the older bags (vintage) were made with flatter quilting but then years later Chanel started making them with puffier quilts. I wasn’t sure how they’ve been making them in recent years that’s why I asked if the m/l flaps have the same puffiness or is each bag made differently? Both ways are still beautiful. It's all personal preference.
You’re absolutely right about the flash and lighting. I did notice that when I took pics in different angles/lighting, the quilts on the bag looked much puffier.

If ANY Sales Associate is going to understand a clients' desire for super puffy quilts when purchasing a Chanel "Timeless Classic" handbag in BLACK lambskin leather, it IS Joseph and his assistant, Youssef, at Bergdorf Goodman.

They sold me my jumbo black classic flap in lambskin leather with SHW last summer. And the first detail they advertised to me via text was that the quilts were super puffy, followed by sending me a photo:
View attachment 3611377

I purchased the handbag sight unseen, over-the-phone. And I ADORE it! ❤️

The fact that Joseph mentioned to you up-front that the the quilts were not extremely puffy immediately demonstrates that he completely understands that "many/most" of his clients are seeking the most puffy quilts on "this" particular handbag. One could not expect the same on a caviar leather bag in the same style. Please know that you are not being paranoid or asking for too much. :smile:

Joseph wants you to be ✨thrilled✨ with your purchase. You should not settle for anything less than what you desire, especially at these prices and also because another one WILL become available, eventually. It is not a seasonal handbag. Sadly, not knowing how long that wait will be can be frustrating. However, much better to wait a few weeks/months longer in order to enjoy your handbag for the next multiple years/decades to come.

Personally, I would return the handbag to Joseph and explain to him that the quilts were simply much less puffy than you expected despite his disclaimer. This is assuming that you have not worn the handbag and/or clipped off the secured tag. They have a new policy that allows only 60 days for a return. You can ship yourself using his return label, if you received one. A second option is to visit the Customer Service Dept of your local Neiman Marcus and they will ship back to BG for you. I have always done the latter. And of course communicate to Joseph that you are still interested in purchasing this size, style, color and leather classic flap, yet would truly prefer the more standard PUFFY quilts.

"This" is a special detail that not all Chanel bags offer. And since this IS a detail that can be satisfied by this particular iconic handbag, no reason to settle for anything less, especially when paying full-price. I have two additional lambskin jumbo classic flaps in dark pink and bright blue. Both are seasonal classic flaps and both have very limited puffiness in the quilts. I have learned to expect this from the seasonal multi-colored classic flaps. However, when shopppng for my most classic black with burgundy interior lambskin classic flap, I "knew" I wanted the more puffier quilts, the better.

I hope this is helpful. :flowers:

Wow! Your bag is gorgeous! ❤️

Your post is extremely helpful! Thank you so much!

It took me nearly a week to finally get the nerve to email Joseph and let him know that I will be sending the bag back and that I really prefer puffy quilting. I didn’t want to sound like I was being picky and really didn’t know whether there was a difference in quilting puffiness until I watched youtube videos and saw so many bags with the puffier quilting. Even the m/l black lambskin classics that were a few years old on eBay seemed very puffy in the pics. That’s when I thought I’d ask here because I didn’t know whether it was the angle/lighting of the pics or if they started making them flatter in recent years.

Joseph was very understanding and said he would put me on the preorder list for the next black lambskin m/l and if the bag comes in the way I described he would let me know. Thank you for reassuring me that he really does understand when a client desires a super puffy bag because I don’t want an SA to tell me that the bag I'm looking for has come in and then purchase it only to be disappointed that it really isn’t the way I described and they just wanted to make a sale.

Btw, I thought Joseph and Youssef were the same person and that Joseph was just pronouncing his name with a Y. When I called to purchase, I spoke with Youssef, but when we were emailing back and forth it was Joseph’s info in the emails. I’m so confused. lol

Also, I shipped it using the prepaid label that was included in the package.