Lambskin black Alexas - questions/quality issues

emmaetoile

Apr 28, 2008
With apologies to those of you who have already suffered my musings on the "nude Alexa - wearable" thread, I have now complicated the issue of which bag to choose by also buying (a bit on impulse because I heard from Mulberry SAs that the next lot of black Alexas wouldn't be out til May) a black plonge lambskin Alexa as a "sensible" option vs the amazingly beautiful but possibly impractical nude.

Anyway, I got the bag home and took a closer look, and on the right hand side of the bag there are two "bumps" in the leather where it looks like the leather hasn't been pulled taut before attaching the straps, and the leather has creased. I know the plonge is supersoft, and some bubbly texture is to be expected, but compared with the LHS of the bag, the right is more "wavy". I have attached some pics to show what I'm talking about.

Alexa owners (esp those with black Alexas) - have any of you had the same problem, and what do you make of the finish on mine from the pics attached?

Many thanks:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 325
PS on a secondary and related question, realising this may be a silly question on a Mulberry forum, do you girls prefer the black Alexa (with its creasing) or the black Bal City with giant rosegold hardware? Side by side pics and modelling shots attached...

Factored in is my continued possession of a nude Alexa that I am completely undecided whether to keep! Should I keep one of the black bags *and* the nude Alexa (and risk wrath of DH...), or choose a single Alexa, or accept that these SS Alexas aren't really working for me and wait to pick up an AW one, having the Bal with rose gold as a summer-y lift on a black bag (I do think it looks a bit more bright than the Alexa)??

:confused1:

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1462c.jpg
    IMG_1462c.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1463c.jpg
    IMG_1463c.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 371
Tiree has one at the moment, so hoping that she can help you answer the bumping question.

The bag looks incredible on you by the way, but controversial in Mulberry, I would keep the black City, as you know the leather is going to age beautifully, and go with the nude too if you can afford it, that would be 2 beautiful bags

Hi , I have this bag in the OS . I've just compared mine to your pics and no mine doesn't have the pulled/creased look in the front but it does a little on the back . I think it's the nature of the leather .
I've used mine a lot since buying it , it's been out in rain and has proved to be fine . I also used it as a weekend bag when travelling ( fitting in 2 changes of outfits , cosmetic case , plastic bag of lotions , wallet and usual bits and bobs ) , it squished under the seat in front of me on the plane no problem . I don't baby any of my bags . I look after them but use them for what they were intended for .
Hope that helps .

Chloe-babe - thanks so much for the kind comments. I haven't owned a Bal before but that one was a "heart-stopper" on sight so I guess that should be the litmus test. I feel like I'm going to be struck by lightning for saying that - I should say I still consider myself a Mulberry gal at heart and they are by far my greatest bag obsession!

Flossie - thanks for letting me know about your OS. Will be interested to hear what Tiree has to say about her black Alexa... I looked at the display model in Bond St yesterday and that had similar texturing but didn't seem to have the same "bumps". I completely agree about not babying bags - it's great to know yours has stood up to air travel and plenty of daily use. Out of interest, did you Collonil it before the rain, and if so, how many coats? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Popping in for a second (about to have a curry with dp!)just to say 'wow' to your pics! Both bags are gorge but to me the bal city is rocking out. It looks incredible on you. You should keep that one xx

Thanks bluecat, IWANB, orkneydaisy and Emmy Lou - this thread has helped me no end! I am going to keep the Bal, return the black Alexa (I feel I know the dept manager in HN personally now as this will be the third bag I've returned in person to HN - wish I could go in disguise!) and deliberate some more on the nude Alexa.

Orkneydaisy - yesterday was actually the first time I've worn that dress and I have to say it is a great piece! Stylish minds obviously think alike :tup:

I have a Black Plonge Lambskin Alexa, and the leather by where the strap is buckled has broken at the weekend after less than two weeks use. I've only filled lightly my Alexa with purse, keys, phone and small umbrella, so I'm a bit concerned about the delicacy of the leather.

Its a shame because I loved the way the leather felt on my bag. :/

Oh no Seren, that's terrible - are you going to return to Mulberry for a repair or get a refund? As you own several Bals, would be interested to know how you think the lambskin compares on those and on the Alexa (notwithstanding the break...).

Annaswe - thanks very much for letting me know. If I can brave the dept manager thinking I'm a nutter for returning another bag, I'm planning to return the black Alexa to HN London today.

The leather on the Black Alexa is more textured than any of the other Balenciagas. As soon as I picked up the Black Alexa, the leather felt so soft and looked so pretty, it just felt perfect. My Black City is similar in softness and feels thicker but Balenciaga leather differs from year to year, best checking in the Balenciaga forum to see what this years black leather is like. :smile:

I rang Mulberry this morning and they're going to exchange it for a Black Buffalo Alexa when they receive them in a few weeks. Though I'm very tempted by Oak Leopard now after seeing those pics of Olivia Palermo with hers.