Workplace laid off and limited to only working in my industry?

baobei

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
So i graduated in 2010 with a B.S. in textiles and landed my first job out of college in the apparel industry. I moved far away from home for job A and 6 months later, I had a great opportunity to move back home for job B also in the apparel industry. 8-9 months go by at job B and i find out last week that i am being laid off :crybaby: i feel so devasted, it's like a very bad break up especially since i didn't see it coming.

Anyway, for the past few days i've been thinking a lot, i've had 2 chances to work in the apparel industry and although i'm greatful, i never really liked working in apparel, it was overly stressful and to be honest, the people are very snobby. Now my question is, since i have my degree in textiles, am i just limited to working in apparel?

Thank you Lorimatthews and JenniferC for putting it into perspective for me. I guess i am just really devasted over the whole layoff fiasco going on in my company and worried that i'll have to move far away again since the bayarea's not huge in the fashion/apparel market. But based on my limited experience in textiles/apparel, ill just have to think outside of the box and tailor my resume suited for a different career path.

Try to think ourside the box on what will make you happy. My one friend had desk job for ages in accounting and liked it but did not love it. She got laid off (years ago) and took a job in a huge hotel just to stay busy until the right job came around. She ended up moving into a great job at the hotel in public relations/events planning. It ended up being her dream job. She never ever in her wildest days would think she would end up doing something like this. She did not set out for this path but it was the job that made her happier then any other job she had before (banking, retail). So sometimes when you think you are limited you need to look at places where there could be opportunites but you just never thought they existed. I went to college for retail management/fashion merchandising and had some great jobs along with horrible jobs. One job I ended up with was a sales assistant at a brokerage firm and that was something I really loved. It actually paid better too.

So i graduated in 2010 with a B.S. in textiles and landed my first job out of college in the apparel industry. I moved far away from home for job A and 6 months later, I had a great opportunity to move back home for job B also in the apparel industry. 8-9 months go by at job B and i find out last week that i am being laid off :crybaby: i feel so devasted, it's like a very bad break up especially since i didn't see it coming.

Anyway, for the past few days i've been thinking a lot, i've had 2 chances to work in the apparel industry and although i'm greatful, i never really liked working in apparel, it was overly stressful and to be honest, the people are very snobby. Now my question is, since i have my degree in textiles, am i just limited to working in apparel?

I feel you on not really enjoying working in the apparel industry. One of my degrees is in Fashion Merchandising and I worked in it for over 2 years before I was laid off when the economy took a down turn. You're not limited to working in textiles/apparel as long as you spin your experience to reflect whatever other job you're applying for. Also, if you have any volunteer experience, you can use that to help you out. I've done marketing and social media since leaving the apparel industry. Sometimes I miss it because I didn't work 60-80 hours a week in apparel, but you'll find your niche! It just takes some trial and error.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience.

I used to feel the same way. I fell into Marketing at a Tile supplier company. Yes, tiles. Sounds super-dull but actually was very interesting as we got to work with some prestigious architects in London and interior designers. This was my first proper job after graduating and I fell into the trap of getting used to my comfort zone. Eventually I got bored and my boss was starting to notice something.

Thankfully, my boss at the tile company is a very nurturing mentor and gave me some advice. I followed his advice (mixing my passion for fashion with marketing) and left the tile industry to work as a Marketing Manager for a well-known shopping centre. This was at a time when the economy wasn't good, but I felt the opportunity was too good to miss and I would gain some valuable experiences at the shopping centre. 6 months later I was laid-off.

During my 'down-time' I figured shopping centre work wasn't where I wanted to be. I wanted to be in FMCG but NO-ONE would take me on with the lack of experience I had. Recruitment agencies would practically laugh in my face and my friends thought I was nuts. In the end I applied directly to companies and now I'm working for a well-known food retailer.

Now that I've been in food retail, I really want to work for a high-end fashion retailer.

Moral of the story - be clear what industry you want to end up in. You're never stuck in one industry as the skills you learn are transferable. Learn as much as you can from your current job (not just your own role within the company, but the company as a business) and never let anyone tell you you can't work for a different industry. I went from tiles to food and no-one believes it when I tell them!