Lady Dior help

April Hughes

Jun 25, 2018
Hi guys I have decided to add a lady Dior to my handbag collection, are they still in style? Will they go out, which is best lambskin or patent? I know lambskin is delicate but won't patent scratch? Any advice would be appreciated thanks xx

The Lady Dior has been in style since it was introduced in 1994. Each season, the bag is made with new materials and designs. Celebrities are seen toting the bag all the time (see this thread: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/celebrities-and-their-dior-pics-only.709482/page-244)

I suggest it in the classic lambskin. It looks best. It isn't that delicate. As long as you avoid scuffing/scratching your bag, then it will last for a long time.

The Lady Dior also comes in grained calfskin which is more durable.

Here is one of the grained calfskin Lady Dior bags:
53837611690__5171ee51-ad61-4a9d-bb5d-b212135b7034-jpg.3943991

Hi guys I have decided to add a lady Dior to my handbag collection, are they still in style? Will they go out, which is best lambskin or patent? I know lambskin is delicate but won't patent scratch? Any advice would be appreciated thanks xx

It's classic, I also think it's been taken up by a younger crowd (pre-loved or or new) because the whole structured, boxy style has been in and the LD is a little more eye-catching and 'feminine' than others. Most LDs are also quilted which has had another revival of late. Again it all depends on where you live and what you wear.

Last edited:
IMO the Lady Dior is a beautiful and timeless bag but 9 times out of 10 it's styled all wrong these days. It is not a casual bag. At all. It's not the all-occasion yoga/grocery/apple-picking bag people want it to be.

It's a luxe, structured, feminine bag that's meant to be worn with tailored dresses, skirt suits, heels, and the like. Think about how Princess Diana styled it, and if your own style doesn't stray too far, go ahead.
74e555d02f5becc4ea259e8e915611e0.jpg
What you want to avoid is looking like you're trying to make the case that you're a woman of the same caliber, and then falling short because you don't understand how to wear the bag, as in this case:
386ef41a9c9a47ffab21d849a9141efe.jpg
On the other hand, SJP wore it casually to great effect, but she also made a career out of wearing outrageous clothing and making it look cool in SATC.
bbp25_meet-lady-dior1.jpg
What I'm saying is, maybe consider the Diorissimo unless you regularly dress to the nines.

Reactions: DearHaayet
I have to disagree with the poster above. I see nothing wrong with the black outfit and beige bag. I think the LD is cute styled a multitude of ways, including casually. That being said, my LD is by far my fussiest bag! I rarely take it out. I mainly like looking at it on the shelf and just having it as part of my overall collection. It hurts my hand to get in and out and it barely holds anything. Stuff is stacked on top of each other because the bag is so structured. The charms clink. The handle digs into my forearm. But it looks awesome and I don’t regret purchasing it, even though I never wear it lol.

I have to disagree with the poster above. I see nothing wrong with the black outfit and beige bag. I think the LD is cute styled a multitude of ways, including casually. That being said, my LD is by far my fussiest bag! I rarely take it out. I mainly like looking at it on the shelf and just having it as part of my overall collection. It hurts my hand to get in and out and it barely holds anything. Stuff is stacked on top of each other because the bag is so structured. The charms clink. The handle digs into my forearm. But it looks awesome and I don’t regret purchasing it, even though I never wear it lol.
Well I'm more of a casual dresser I only wear heels when I go out but I over the look of it I would get it in the large size if I were to get it xx

Reactions: yenny90
I wear my bags however I want too..:nuts: I personally think mixing casual and formal is so chic.
Couple of weeks ago, I was talking to SA in Paris and he mentioned that the zip from the lady Dior bag may disappear all together, fingers crossed.

IMO the Lady Dior is a beautiful and timeless bag but 9 times out of 10 it's styled all wrong these days. It is not a casual bag. At all. It's not the all-occasion yoga/grocery/apple-picking bag people want it to be.

It's a luxe, structured, feminine bag that's meant to be worn with tailored dresses, skirt suits, heels, and the like. Think about how Princess Diana styled it, and if your own style doesn't stray too far, go ahead.
View attachment 4122060
What you want to avoid is looking like you're trying to make the case that you're a woman of the same caliber, and then falling short because you don't understand how to wear the bag, as in this case:
View attachment 4122068
On the other hand, SJP wore it casually to great effect, but she also made a career out of wearing outrageous clothing and making it look cool in SATC.
View attachment 4122069
What I'm saying is, maybe consider the Diorissimo unless you regularly dress to the nines.
I totally disagree with these comments.
OP, you can wear the bag however you want and style it however it makes you happy! The bag looks great with a pair of jeans and a simple tee.

I purchased the Medium LD in Black lambskin with gold hardware in early 2016 and I absolutely love it! I agree with those who say this bag can be styled in whichever way best aligns with your Personal style. I typically carry mine with dressed up daytime looks, but I wear it to weddings, date night with dark denim and heels and blouse or blazer. It suits my style and it makes whatever I’m wearing feel so chic and elegant. I do believe this bag can be versatile. I’d also agree with AJ that the lambskin is luxe, but not at all too delicate to be worn and enjoyed. The LD is a true classic, in my opinion.

Reactions: Cicci783

View attachment 4122060
View attachment 4122068
View attachment 4122069
TOTALLY disagree. I have a bunch of them, and more times than not, they look better styled casually. One of the most versatile bags out there IMO, and I rock them with my yoga clothes. Or sweats. Or whatever I want to wear to Home Depot or the office. I love the LD for all occasions.

Regardless of how you style it, just letting you know that with the zipper, I find both the small and the large extremely impractical. The small one, because my e-ring gets caught on it and the zipper scratches my hand. You barely have enough space to grab your phone, and I am being generous (and my hands are small). The big one, because although it looks like you can put a whole folder in there, the zipper opening is so small that you can only comfortably fit a continental wallet (maybe!). For that reason, I went for the diorissimo bag instead.

Reactions: MahaM
Regardless of how you style it, just letting you know that with the zipper, I find both the small and the large extremely impractical. The small one, because my e-ring gets caught on it and the zipper scratches my hand. You barely have enough space to grab your phone, and I am being generous (and my hands are small). The big one, because although it looks like you can put a whole folder in there, the zipper opening is so small that you can only comfortably fit a continental wallet (maybe!). For that reason, I went for the diorissimo bag instead.
I agree with that. I don’t think I would have gotten any of mine if they had zippers. I don’t like that either. The ones with interior flaps are super easy.

Reactions: llviolet
I've also been thinking of getting my first Lady Dior, but I specifically have my eye on a studded version from all the way back to 2003 (I'm keeping a look out on the pre-loved market for one in excellent condition). Is it silly to invest in a 15 year old bag? I prefer the studs to the usual quilted cannage, and the newer studded ones are all with aged gold hardware (whereas the 2003 one has silver hardware, which I like better). I'm just worried that as much as I like how it looks, buying a new bag that is half my age just doesn't make sense. And I doubt I'd be able to resell it for very much down the road if I want to put the money towards and upgrade either...

I've also been thinking of getting my first Lady Dior, but I specifically have my eye on a studded version from all the way back to 2003 (I'm keeping a look out on the pre-loved market for one in excellent condition). Is it silly to invest in a 15 year old bag? I prefer the studs to the usual quilted cannage, and the newer studded ones are all with aged gold hardware (whereas the 2003 one has silver hardware, which I like better). I'm just worried that as much as I like how it looks, buying a new bag that is half my age just doesn't make sense. And I doubt I'd be able to resell it for very much down the road if I want to put the money towards and upgrade either...
I am sorry if this comes out as harsh, but I am sick and tired of people calling a luxury purchase an investment. You are not investing, you are buying stuff. Anything can happen to your stuff before you sell it: it can get stolen, damaged, fall out of fashion, or maybe nothing will happen at all. If all you think about is the resale value, will you enjoy using your stuff?

And even if you resell it for the same amount or less, it's like using it for free for a few years. Sounds pretty good to me.

In any case, by all means, get what you love, not what you might or might not be able to resell later.