Ladies who get their hair colored - how often do you touch up the roots?

:pout:I have dark hair and my grey hair is mainly at the front....

I need to touch up my root every 6 weeks. I home dye most times but go to the salon for my kera straight treatment and sometimes get my roots touched up at the same time

My hairdresser uses semi-permanent dye that over-time fades with washing. The result is roots that aren't very different from the coloured area. It works well and as a result I only get the colour touched up once every 4-6 months (when I get my hair trimmed).

My hair is naturally black and I only get it dyed a few shades lighter (to a rich brown), so it might not work for drastic colour changes.
;)

My hair is naturally black and I've been blonde for over a year now. I started doing it myself after the girl that originally bleached my hair fried it off 😢
I usually do my roots once a month because it stands out so much. But I've gone 2 months without doing my roots because I was busy/lazy lol

It probably isn't the best for me since I have psoriasis on my scalp but I get touch ups every 5 weeks or so.

My daughter used to get that, if you buy a product made in Australia by Moo Goo - for the scalp, it really does help.
My daughter tried everything but Moo Goo cleared it up in a week.
Moo Goo is available at many good chemists but also they are on-line.
Made here in Australia.
Just thought I would mention it as it is a great natural product.
http://moogoo.com.au/psoriasis/?SID=e9b3008ae40397704a41472669baede5

My daughter used to get that, if you buy a product made in Australia by Moo Goo - for the scalp, it really does help.
My daughter tried everything but Moo Goo cleared it up in a week.
Moo Goo is available at many good chemists but also they are on-line.
Made here in Australia.
Just thought I would mention it as it is a great natural product.
http://moogoo.com.au/psoriasis/?SID=e9b3008ae40397704a41472669baede5

Thank you for the recommendation. I will give it a try!

I'll always try to leave it as long as possible and 8-9 weeks is about the max. I've a heap of 'salt and pepper' grey at the front which I usually notice after about 4-5 weeks, but I ride it out and get it cut and coloured after about the 8-9 week mark.

Last edited:
I can only go about 3 or 4 weeks at the most. My hair is dark & grows really fast so the grey roots are more noticable. I'm planning to have it lightened all over soon so hopefully that way I will be able to go a little longer between root touch-ups.

I wish I hadn't stumbled into this thread...I'm so jealous you ladies can go so long between root touch ups! I have to touch mine up every two weeks without fail. 3 is very noticeable, at 4, I'd be well on my way to a nice grey bob.