Ladies from the NYC, what shoes do you wear to walk around town?

dpgyrl026

O.G.
Sep 23, 2006
I'm a So Cal girl, and recently visited New York. I wore Cole Haan flats to get around NY, and by the end of my journey, I was dying! As I sat down and moped, I see girl after girl walk by in their 4-5 inch Louboutins! I nearly bowed down to them! :graucho:

I'm used to driving from door to door, so the whole subway system was tiring for me---let alone in heels. How do you ladies do it? I'm convinced you ladies are superheroes in the shoe world :P

I always carry flip flops with me when I wear heels. Sometimes it's doable depending on the comfort and how long you're walking...I wouldn't wear heels for a day of shopping though. Way too much walking. Gotta be comfortable. Some girls that wear their Loubs all day are just doing it for fashion while secretly being in pain lol

I'm willing to bet the girls spending all day in CLs are either a. in denial about the immense pain they're in haha or b. walking to a chauffeured car or taking cabs and walking small distances haha. :P I wear heels when I'm going short distances, or comfier heels (YSL Tributes) if there is more walking involved. Like highroller, I try to bring flats (my comfiest are my TB revas) with me if I can fit them into my day bag. If I'm out for the evening, I'll either suffer through any pain or try to wear comfier heels if possible. :smile:

When I was visiting NYC, I wore Manoloes around town. After walking 10 blocks, my skin around the heel area was rubbing off. Now I carry flip-flops with me wherever I go, especially if I'm wearing heels all day.

It runs the gamut, really. When I had a personal driver (ahhh, those were the days!), I never had to worry about what I was wearing. We'd sit in traffic if we had to to save me from having to walk a few blocks. Those days are loooong gone. :crybaby:

Most ppl who have to commute or spend the evening out just plan ahead -- either wear more comfortable shoes or bring comfortable shoes. I mentally catalogue my shoes by how many blocks I can walk at a stretch without crying out in pain. For instance, many Louboutins are "6 Blocks and Under shoes", meaning I'll try to avoid walks longer than that in any one go. There are a few Louboutins that are "8 - 10 Blocks" shoes -- those are golden. Most of my Manolos fall into the upper categories too. If I know what I'll be doing for the whole day, I'll plan accordingly. For instance, if it's just drinks with the girls after work (TAXI!), I can wear anything I want. If it's, say, US Open with DF, I'll know to wear shoes in which I can walk and climb stairs and walk and climb more stairs. It's all in the planning! :amuse:

Also, I know ppl who wear flats and then change into heels during the day, and back to flats when they head home for the day.

A good bunch of ppl I know have done the foot injections too - botox for the pad and arch of the foot so you don't feel as much pain.

oh man this is like a bitter sweet question! here's my three years of exp. in NYC
Weekdays I usually do the flip flops to work and keep all my heels at work kind of routine. but lately i have been wearing my comfy CL new simples more to work because there are some cute guys on the subway and i feel so much more confident when i'm in heels! haha

Weekend/shopping: comfy wedge or comfy midheel peeptoe (midheel is probably 3 - 3.5 inches for me) This is when i kind of miss the fall/winter when i can wear high heel boots and feel fine.
If i am going to SOHO there is no way i can wear thin heels and walk for more than 2 hours on those streets with those crazy ppl around. If i am going to Fifth ave for like 2 hours of shopping in and out of stores i can wear high thin heels easily.

Night/going out: DEF. the best and the highest heels with my dresses. it is not about comfort it is about looks :smile: although i don't buy shoes i can't walk/dance in so maybe it means differently for other ppl

Couple of comfy shoes without giving up the heels. Theory.. AMAZING comfy. Stewart weissman... great midheel shoes and marc by marc jacobs, cute comfy heels!

CL new simples for me or VPs

i wear high heels in the city all the time..but i usually cab it and dont walk more than 5-6 blocks. i have walked alot more in heels before but it wasnt really planned...lol..

at night though, all girls wear high heels..you gotta go to meatpacking in the winter months to see girls running to hail down cabs at 3am...skipping on the frozen cobblestones in 4 inch heels w/ no problems..now thats power! lol!!

Wow, what a list of great responses! Haha, sorry was MIA for a while as we had an issue at work.

Fatefull...I do have a scientific method as well, but the scales are MUCH MUCH lower. Haha. I'm such a weenie compared to all of you. You ladies talk about 6 blocks +, and I'm talking like 6 feet mas. I ONLY wear my Louboutins Simple Pumps when the parking lot is right on the premise. And by that, I don't even mean a parking structure that's further away.

I do know of some people who carry an extra bag for shoes. As far as flats go, I wish I had the nice slender body to pull it off, but flats just do not flatter my body type. During my NY trip, I probably had the most success in my Via Spiga boots mid heel as well. And Miss Alice... haha the girls in the meat packing district is exactly what inspired this thread.