Travel LA vs NYC

snow0160

Jul 23, 2012
I had just visited LA this weekend and it was amazing. I spent a few hours at Rodeo and really enjoyed the laid back attitude of Los Angeles. I am very familiar with NYC. My favorite city in the world is London. Between LA and NYC, which one do you prefer? Do you think people have a different style within the city i.e. Beverly Hills vs Venice ...and Manhattan vs Brooklyn. What is your style? Are the coastal styles that different?

NYC because it's actually a city that's contained. the city of Los Angeles itself is actually quite dumpy - you mentioned Beverly Hills and Venice, and etc. which are independent cities and not LA. LA is a conglomerate of many different cities that blend together so there is no real 'city' allegiance b/c people represent different areas. not my cup of tea.

NYC because it's actually a city that's contained. the city of Los Angeles itself is actually quite dumpy - you mentioned Beverly Hills and Venice, and etc. which are independent cities and not LA. LA is a conglomerate of many different cities that blend together so there is no real 'city' allegiance b/c people represent different areas. not my cup of tea.

That seems to be a popular opinion about LA but I think every city has pretty parts and the less than stellar areas. You are correct, I mean LA county. It is a sprawling suburb with many cities.

If London is one of the options, I'd choose London.
I lived in NYC for years and love a lot of things about it. But for the weather, I'd choose LA. In NYC, I was at work at 730 am. Stayed almost 12 hours. In LA, my friends get up early but do something outside -- tennis, running, etc. -- and go to work at 10. Still left work before I usually did. I love being able to have the patio or balcony doors open all the time. It was like that in Hawaii too. I call it inside/outside living. Love love love it.

I always feel more drained returning from LA than from NYC. NYC seems more favorably disposed to all kinds of people and styles. LA in contrast seems to be a cluster of hidden but intense competitions--prizes going to the most beautiful, talented, richest, more conspicuously health-practicing. Like anyone I love the sun and the superficial friendliness of CA, but I always find that LA takes energy and NYC gives it.

I'd live in London or Beijing (once they solve the smog problem) sooner than in either.

I really love NYC! I felt safe even walking around in the nigh time alone.
But in LA, I had a nightmares. I had to call police, because someone took my bag but police arrived after 40 mins. :sad:
Anyways, I just love big cities Manhattan, and NY is the central city of world!!! :smile:

Reactions: KM7029
I love New York. I love the energy of the city. I love the culture and the arts and the food. You never know who you will chat with over coffee. You never know when you will be so overwhelmed by emotion because of the humanity of it all. I've publicly cried soooo many times - the anniversary of 9/11 when I ate breakfast alone yet I was I was sooo not alone, when I saw young girl burst into tears at the sight a Picasso at MOMA (on a trip with her boyfriend just to see it), when the audience at Hamilton went insane at "Immigrants, we get the job done" on the night in Feb when the first US travel ban was announced. I feel so alive in NYC.

I live in the northeast of US and really dislike New York which imo has gotten even worse during the last several years. It's filthy, construction everywhere with crumbling streets. Difficult to get around. Homeless are back even more which is sad. Not to mention it's unbelievably expensive. The more I travel abroad particularly in Europe, the more I dislike New York. Can't speak for LA.