Kwanpen bags?

im actually surprised that kwanpen isnt yet being sued by hermes since kwanpen basically copied the design of hermes kelly and birkins... but true that they are well made.
Besides Kellys and Birkins, they also copied the Bolide and Piano(Fabiola)...and maybe more.

I was at their Raffles Hotel store a few years ago & I actually mustered my guts to ask a Kwanpen SA about the copyright question...I was told that Hermes Corporate had sent reps. to their store to check out their bags before but no action was taken...it was along the line of the dimensions of their bags are not exactly the same as Hermes bags...:confused1:

I do find the quality of the croc skins that they use to be pretty good, but the hardware on their Birkin and Kelly style bags are really...:Push:

im actually surprised that kwanpen isnt yet being sued by hermes since kwanpen basically copied the design of hermes kelly and birkins... but true that they are well made.

I was told that Hermes Corporate had sent reps. to their store to check out their bags before but no action was taken...it was along the line of the dimensions of their bags are not exactly the same as Hermes bags...

I am not sure if this is applicable world-wide, but as for German copyright, the Kelly as a shape
is no longer protected, because it is too old and once the patent right has expired it is freely
to be replicated.

As for the Birkin, this does not apply though, because the design is only about 20 years old...

Still it seems like many companies use minor alterations, in order to avoid the law suit.
It's very sad! :tdown:

yes i know kwanpen, i think it's only well-known is asia, i have one pink croco kwanpen birkin from my mother-in-law...she suddenly bored with it and decided to get the real croco hermes instead, i think kwanpen products are ok, if i'm not wrong the price of the croco birkin style is about the same like hermes birkin with regular leather. I personnally wouldn't buy it, i rather settle for the real one;)

Setting aside the quality, maintenance and other issues, maybe it's just me, but I would find it uncomfortable telling people that the bag is just a Hermes lookalike because I suspect that it (especially croc bags) would prompt people to comment about your bag.

i think its not only kwanpen who is ripping off hermes' designs, i see alota other brands doing birkin & kelly look-alikes too. but i guess they r not mentioned cos their quality & workmanship r not a threat to hermes yet.
personally i've checked out kwanpen's quality and workmanship, they r REALLY good. their aftersales services r commendable too. had few croc bags that r their original designs. for the price in croc, they r really worth it. :tup:

Hi Ariun, I've seen these Kwanpen bags in person, one of my aunts even own two, in black and naturelle croc. I must say that they're well made, and they're not cheap either because they're made out of real leathers. However, I've compared an Hermes croc birkin with my aunt's Kwanpen croc "birkin-wanna-be", and the difference is that the Hermes one is lighter, and the Hermes leather is thinner and more subtle than the bulkier Kwanpen. Again, nothing is as good as the real thing... you get your money's worth! My suggestion is that if you really like the design and you have the budget, get the real thing! An Hermes bag is something that you can keep for many many years to come, and I believe it's worth spending your money on. However, if you don't want to spend so much but still get a similar bag, then go with what you're most comfortable with.