Kwanpen bags?

Hi Aruin,

Buy what your heart desires and what's in your budget. It should however not be a question of Kwanpen vs Hermes anymore. It's not comparing like for like.

If you have to compare, getting a Kwanpen has its cons and you need to be pretty convicted in your mind that you can withstand any judgement and/or criticism or that what people think/say do not matter to you. Otherwise, you will think lesser of the Kwanpen bag that you get. And that "good feel" of getting the bag will quickly dissipate.

For me the question would also be: How will this bag look in 20 years? That is for me where the true Hermes quality stands the test of time and shows the value for money. An Hermes bag - if you treat it well (I don't mean baby it) - will look great in 20 years because of the way it is made and the quality of skins used. You can always bring it into Hermes to have it refreshed and touched up and polished. Can you do this with a Kwanpen bag as well?

The 28cm kelly (in the picture) are S$7000 each, and 30cm birkins are around S$6800.
Wow! Kwanpen bags are much cheaper in Singapore!!! I only know one person who bought Kawnpen bag...in 35cm croc....I mentioned about it in previous posting above...It was MUCH MUCH more expensive than the prices you listed!

Is Kwanpen available outside Singapore?

To be honest, Ariun, I was looking at these bags myself. A Korean friend, who buys them in Singapore, recommended them to me. She has a few pieces herself. But I've never bought any.

I agree with MrsSparkles. You have to decide if you love it FOR YOURSELF. Put aside the brand and all that. If you love it, and its what you can afford, buy it. If you think you will prefer an Hermes kelly in non-exotic skin, then wait and save up a bit more in the meantime.

The kelly look tempting because it is in croc but i'm not sure if it's non-exotic, will the temptation still exist? For the amount of budget you have, if you top up a little bit more, you can get yourself a non-exotic hermes kelly. If happen by any chance, you may find a hermes kelly on the shelves and you don't even need to waitlist for one.

Even their ostriches are very nice and well made.

I saw a fuschia ostrich 'birkin' and got really tempted cos of the cheap price and easy availability.

But I din buy it in the end.
It just din't feel right :confused1: :confused1:

I'd save a little more and get the real deal. I just wouldn't be comfortable with a lookalike. I saw one at an antique shop here (same design as a Kelly but didn't say Hermes but it was old and only $20) and thought about getting it for a second (not to carry but our guest room has a travel theme and thought it might look cute sitting on some faux old suitcases we have in there.) But I couldn't do it because it was a copy and I wouldn't want someone copying something I had designed. :shrugs:

They do have Kwanpen in HK. The workmanship is beautiful but would prefer to buy the really mccoy, so to speak, instead of a copy.

However, I have bought some of the accessories the company makes that are no copies of other brands - coin case, men's wallets (pretty generic design anyways) and cosmetic case. Not cheap though, even their accessories like those mentioned above are in the $200-$500 range.

If you are thinking of resale value - it'll probably in the 50-60% of what you paid for. So, would probably advise waiting and buying the real thing.

im actually surprised that kwanpen isnt yet being sued by hermes since kwanpen basically copied the design of hermes kelly and birkins... but true that they are well made.