Kristin flap

Valkrie

O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
I saw a picture of Kristin flap today and I am really liking it. Its coming out in Sept. The only colors it will come in is black and brown. I would love if it came in raisin or green. Price is reasonable $298.

Last March I used my PCE to buy the Kristin Shoulder Flap in (deliciously soft!) black leather. I like her and I use her for "dressy business occasions" and for "social events that don't require an evening bag".

Since I don't use her a great deal I was concerned that I might buy her and then discover her at the outlet at a deep discount just a few months later, but that never happened so I honestly don't regret buying her at the PCE price. (Some of the less popular - but still lovely colors showed up at the outlet - but not the black.) I honestly enjoy this bag and I feel very "chic and sophisticated" when I carry her; but there are stil a few features that I don't really care for all that much:

1) When I purchased herI was torn between this bag and the Kristin clutch (because I don't actually own a "true clutch" - I just have a couple of large wristlets). The price difference between the shoulder flap and clutch were pretty close and the SA advised me that the shoulder flap was "the better option because you can tuck the strap inside and use it as a clutch;" but that's not accurate. The bag is just a little "too big and floppy" to use effectively as a clutch.

2) Because it is floppy (but relatively small) it doesn't work well as a handbag either. If you try and carry it over your arm as a handbag it sort of "collapses in the middle" in an odd way that doesn't look all that great. This bag only works well as a shoulder bag - and that disappoints me, because I really like "versatile bags" that give you "options" and that's what I thought I was buying.

3) The latch is a bit difficult to work with because the bag folds/sags in the middle. I can appreciate a hobo or a hippie that has a "sexy slouch" but this bag is "too small and rectangular" to work well with a "semi-slouch". I have 4 Kristin items (a hobo, a large wristlet, a wallet, and this shoulder flap) and this is the only one that can be tricky to latch. It's not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Obviously, I love the look and feel of Kristin items because I own 4 of them (I have more Kristins than any other Coach line!) but although I enjoy this shoulder flap it hasn't been as quite as "delightful" as I had hoped. My advice is to get a clutch or a hobo or a tote. Only buy the shoulder flap if you are truly looking for shoulder bag that is smaller than a hippie, a hobo, or a tote.

Below is a stock photo of my "mixed blessing"! I still love her although she has been a bit disappointing in some ways - but I still feel "very chi chi" when I carry her and she is a lovely bag! Isn't she beautiful?! :shrugs:

Attachments

• kristin%2520leather%2520flap_jpg_.jpg
    kristin%2520leather%2520flap_jpg_.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Last March I used my PCE to buy the Kristin Shoulder Flap in (deliciously soft!) black leather. I like her and I use her for "dressy business occasions" and for "social events that don't require an evening bag".

Since I don't use her a great deal I was concerned that I might buy her and then discover her at the outlet at a deep discount just a few months later, but that never happened so I honestly don't regret buying her at the PCE price. (Some of the less popular - but still lovely colors showed up at the outlet - but not the black.) I honestly enjoy this bag and I feel very "chic and sophisticated" when I carry her; but there are stil a few features that I don't really care for all that much:

1) When I purchased herI was torn between this bag and the Kristin clutch (because I don't actually own a "true clutch" - I just have a couple of large wristlets). The price difference between the shoulder flap and clutch were pretty close and the SA advised me that the shoulder flap was "the better option because you can tuck the strap inside and use it as a clutch;" but that's not accurate. The bag is just a little "too big and floppy" to use effectively as a clutch.

2) Because it is floppy (but relatively small) it doesn't work well as a handbag either. If you try and carry it over your arm as a handbag it sort of "collapses in the middle" in an odd way that doesn't look all that great. This bag only works well as a shoulder bag - and that disappoints me, because I really like "versatile bags" that give you "options" and that's what I thought I was buying.

3) The latch is a bit difficult to work with because the bag folds/sags in the middle. I can appreciate a hobo or a hippie that has a "sexy slouch" but this bag is "too small and rectangular" to work well with a "semi-slouch". I have 4 Kristin items (a hobo, a large wristlet, a wallet, and this shoulder flap) and this is the only one that can be tricky to latch. It's not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Obviously, I love the look and feel of Kristin items because I own 4 of them (I have more Kristins than any other Coach line!) but although I enjoy this shoulder flap it hasn't been as quite as "delightful" as I had hoped. My advice is to get a clutch or a hobo or a tote. Only buy the shoulder flap if you are truly looking for shoulder bag that is smaller than a hippie, a hobo, or a tote.

Below is a stock photo of my "mixed blessing"! I still love her although she has been a bit disappointing in some ways - but I still feel "very chi chi" when I carry her and she is a lovely bag! Isn't she beautiful?! :shrugs:

All excellent points. It's definitely not a bag for every occasion, but it's very nice for the right occasions.

I will take some modeling shots tomorrow if I have time to go get a battery for my camera. Emilybug - I actually think it is pretty big - obviously not BIG but a lot bigger than what I thought it would be. I think the rectangle shape of it makes it bigger but it's not so big inside if you know what I mean. But it was bigger than I thought it would be for me because big bags and myself just don't look right or at least cause me to be made fun of by my significant other and friends, lol. It's funny because back when small bags were in style in high school, I had a larger bag and everyone was like your bag is huge! Now, I shy away from large bags and larger bags are in. lol

I do love the leather and the look and the leather strap but I agree, the clasp is tricky. It doesn't line up correctly on mine so I have to pull the flap down a little more to get it to close.

Question -my bag has a line on the front - not a wrinkle - it's almost like a scratch but it feels like the rest of the bag. So it's just visible when held a certain way. What should I do? Use leather cleaner and moisturizer? I don't know if it is a scratch or not - it's almost like a smudge - yeah, that is a better way to describe it.

During Memorial Day weekend, I went to the outlet and had to make the decision to buy either the Kristin Shoulder Flap in Peach or the Kristin Clutch in Peach. I went with the Clutch and really love it.

I really love clutches. However, like katev, some SA's told me that the Shoulder Flap was the better option because it could be used as both a clutch and a shoulder bag. I didn't agree for three reasons. First, I thought it would be a pain to tuck the strap in. Second, I knew that I would worry about the light colored leather strap getting stained and/or marred from the items in my purse, especially my keys. Third, I thought the Clutch looked a little more sharp. My only gripe with the Clutch is that I don't really care for the closure because it's a pain to close properly. However, that seems to be a problem with the Shoulder Flap as well.

BTW, katev, I saw the Kristin Shoulder Flap in Black Leather, Black Op Art and Peach Leather at my outlet Memorial Day weekend. However, the Black Leather Shoulder Flap went like hotcakes.

Right now, I'm thinking about buying Karla's Clutch. As of yesterday, Coach.com showed them as being "In Stock." I love how that bag can be converted from a shoulder bag into a clutch by removing the strap entirely instead of having to tuck it in.

Last edited:
BTW, katev, I saw the Kristin Shoulder Flap in Black Leather, Black Op Art and Peach Leather at my outlet Memorial Day weekend. However, the Black Leather Shoulder Flap went like hotcakes.

We had some peach and yellow leather and turquoise sig kristins at my outlet but I never saw any black kristins at the outlet! I got a peach hobo and a matching peach wallet - so pretty!