Korean fashion style thread : what is it?

Most K-dramas have a sponsored wardrobe, you will see a fair amount of Dior, Chanel, Hermes, Burberry and MaxMara (and some actresses, like Song Hye Kyo, use their own bags for their characters). But they also mix high fashion with local Korean brands - Stylenanda, IT MICHAA, AvouAvou, On&On, Romanchic etc.

IMHO K-fashion is basically French but worn just a tad too big and with heels...and Korean stylists are less afraid of bold, jewel toned outfits.

Also, in dramas, because of the more narrow standards of beauty Asia has, most actresses are +/- the same size and so the wardrobe, especially the less eye-catching pieces, can be shared.

Most K-dramas have a sponsored wardrobe, you will see a fair amount of Dior, Chanel, Hermes, Burberry and MaxMara (and some actresses, like Song Hye Kyo, use their own bags for their characters). But they also mix high fashion with local Korean brands - Stylenanda, IT MICHAA, AvouAvou, On&On, Romanchic etc.

IMHO K-fashion is basically French but worn just a tad too big and with heels...and Korean stylists are less afraid of bold, jewel toned outfits.

Also, in dramas, because of the more narrow standards of beauty Asia has, most actresses are +/- the same size and so the wardrobe, especially the less eye-catching pieces, can be shared.
I’ll definitely check these brands! Does the fashion in these drama shows reflect real life/street style?
Interesting comparison with French style. French are less put together and minimalist in shapes/cuts And accessories but have in common the less is more and natural vibe.
(And the men ❤️ So impeccable)

Gosh - when I was in Seoul, I couldn’t help but noticed how polished and stylish everyone on the street was.

It was in April and there were so many variations of cashmere/wool coats and trenchcoats.

I didn’t see a lot of flashy labels either, it seemed like the majority was focused on impeccable grooming and quiet elegance. I agree that it can be compared to French style but less casual and messy.

Following this thread because I haven't watched k-dramas in a while but I love Korean culture and their simple yet elegant style :heart: so hearing some recommendations on Korean clothing brands would be great

I did watch Parasite recently and couldn't stop admiring how classy Cho Yeo-jeong looked (there's even a scene showing her closet with Birkins on display!)

Reactions: jade and CobaltBlu
Gosh - when I was in Seoul, I couldn’t help but noticed how polished and stylish everyone on the street was.

It was in April and there were so many variations of cashmere/wool coats and trenchcoats.

I didn’t see a lot of flashy labels either, it seemed like the majority was focused on impeccable grooming and quiet elegance. I agree that it can be compared to French style but less casual and messy.
Yes I get what you mean as I got a similar feeling while in Tokyo. Such a “je ne sais quoi”.
There are places like New York and Paris where you notice some great styles also, but it’s never an overall majority like there!

I found some of my old pictures from Kyoto Street style where I loved it too. Excuse the poor quality

Attachments

• 25153D38-CCF3-4362-A2B0-1D382D9184E4.jpeg
    25153D38-CCF3-4362-A2B0-1D382D9184E4.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 211
  • D1B36373-8C8F-4D9D-B325-D75C5945735C.jpeg
    D1B36373-8C8F-4D9D-B325-D75C5945735C.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 7039C74D-9DD5-4D67-86DA-5DF3F6184AA7.jpeg
    7039C74D-9DD5-4D67-86DA-5DF3F6184AA7.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 4EB3D58B-D803-4F12-BC92-1BCD6A425EA8.png
    4EB3D58B-D803-4F12-BC92-1BCD6A425EA8.png
    685.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 4CFC65B5-E631-44A0-8547-EDD6C8C9A395.png
    4CFC65B5-E631-44A0-8547-EDD6C8C9A395.png
    745.1 KB · Views: 215
There are many k fashion designers on w concept, including well known ones like Low Classic. Look around, many of the aesthetics on that website are similar to what you see worn on streets of korea.

Reactions: mellecyn
I am able to find "k-fashion" like items at Zara and H&M since alot of the pieces as you've said are more basic and classic. I've also used site like this one: https://www.yesstyle.com/en/korean-fashion-women for inspiration and ideas. There are plenty of youtube reviews of people buying clothes from yesstyle if you're thinking of buying from them. It seems like the pieces are a hit or miss so pay attention to customer reviews if it does have some.

Reactions: mellecyn
I am able to find "k-fashion" like items at Zara and H&M since alot of the pieces as you've said are more basic and classic. I've also used site like this one: https://www.yesstyle.com/en/korean-fashion-women for inspiration and ideas. There are plenty of youtube reviews of people buying clothes from yesstyle if you're thinking of buying from them. It seems like the pieces are a hit or miss so pay attention to customer reviews if it does have some.

Definitely recommend YesStyle for inspiration & subtle pieces, but do note that there's been some questionable debate on consumer ethics. That aside, I do agree that stuff there is a hit or a miss. Definitely check reviews before buying!! Some of my personal rule of thumbs when shopping there are:

1) Know what fabric you prefer best. I stay away from polyester and chiffon on a regular basis, but I've found some pieces on YesStyle that were too cute to pass up on. Ended up returning them all because they felt really cheap. (I have found some staple pieces for my wardrobe, though, so it's not entirely out of the question haha. Purchased this really soft mock-turtleneck sweater that I always get compliments on, for only ~$10!! No piling, even after 2-3 years. My former boss even loved it as well, and she asked me to purchase some for her too.)

2) Sizing is a SERIOUS issue. Yesstyle goes by Asian sizing so go for a size up if you're not petite or don't have a typical Asian physique. (I'm a size 00 and 5'0 for reference but there's been times where even their smallest sizes wouldn't fit me...)

3) They charge shipping fees for returns. I buy a lot of (Asian-branded) cosmetics from them which almost always works out for me but when it comes to clothing, anything that I'm unsure of goes in a separate order. That way, the return fee becomes easier to stomach. It's also only credit only. (OT, but I highly recommend 3CE/Stylenanda products! I prefer them over typical brands here in NA. Also, I know that I order often from them, so the credit only isn't an issue for me.)

Korean fashion emphasizes sleek/modern & minimalist style, almost always feminine yet appropriate office wear. A lot of dramas are sponsored, so clothing that you'll see on actors/actresses are likely from Korean brands. (IIRC, some actresses/actors prefer to wear their own clothing; that's why you'll sometimes see "poor" characters wearing high end stuff. I think Park Shin Hye has been caught a few times.)

In terms of casual fashion, I find that a lot of them mix lower brands with expensive statement pieces. (Bags, usually.) In terms of dressing oversized (such as in pictures above), you'll want to take notice of your body type and proportions as they tend to put a lot of thought into that. That's why even if one attempts to purchase the same ensemble as an actor/actress, it might not look the same. Most of the style above would look frumpy on me, unfortunately--but it's so nice to see on other people.

Trench coats and (oversized) blazers seem to be a must-have as well. (They also had (have?) a trend in the winter with oversized puffer jackets.) Most of the time, it's comfort + minimalism + neutral tones.

Personally, I like the Jung sister's fashion style, but it's not necessarily the same as above. They tend to emphasize their body in a subtle way more than hide it.

images

upload_2020-6-7_21-21-16.jpeg

upload_2020-6-7_21-30-46.jpeg

Shout out to Kim Goeun's fashion in Cheese in the Trap, though! I'm pretty sure she's what made me buy my Alexander Wang Marti hahaha.
0gcnf6-l-610x610-coat-cheese+trap-hong+seol-kdrama-k+drama-scarf-kim+eun-tx-sweater.jpg

Try googling minimalist Korean street style for some inspiration too.
b1f12102229771a807718c06e964d20c.jpg

791e01db363651f7c55cc4ad6de1c7bb.jpg

Definitely recommend YesStyle for inspiration & subtle pieces, but do note that there's been some questionable debate on consumer ethics. That aside, I do agree that stuff there is a hit or a miss. Definitely check reviews before buying!! Some of my personal rule of thumbs when shopping there are:

1) Know what fabric you prefer best. I stay away from polyester and chiffon on a regular basis, but I've found some pieces on YesStyle that were too cute to pass up on. Ended up returning them all because they felt really cheap. (I have found some staple pieces for my wardrobe, though, so it's not entirely out of the question haha. Purchased this really soft mock-turtleneck sweater that I always get compliments on, for only ~$10!! No piling, even after 2-3 years. My former boss even loved it as well, and she asked me to purchase some for her too.)

2) Sizing is a SERIOUS issue. Yesstyle goes by Asian sizing so go for a size up if you're not petite or don't have a typical Asian physique. (I'm a size 00 and 5'0 for reference but there's been times where even their smallest sizes wouldn't fit me...)

3) They charge shipping fees for returns. I buy a lot of (Asian-branded) cosmetics from them which almost always works out for me but when it comes to clothing, anything that I'm unsure of goes in a separate order. That way, the return fee becomes easier to stomach. It's also only credit only. (OT, but I highly recommend 3CE/Stylenanda products! I prefer them over typical brands here in NA. Also, I know that I order often from them, so the credit only isn't an issue for me.)

Korean fashion emphasizes sleek/modern & minimalist style, almost always feminine yet appropriate office wear. A lot of dramas are sponsored, so clothing that you'll see on actors/actresses are likely from Korean brands. (IIRC, some actresses/actors prefer to wear their own clothing; that's why you'll sometimes see "poor" characters wearing high end stuff. I think Park Shin Hye has been caught a few times.)

In terms of casual fashion, I find that a lot of them mix lower brands with expensive statement pieces. (Bags, usually.) In terms of dressing oversized (such as in pictures above), you'll want to take notice of your body type and proportions as they tend to put a lot of thought into that. That's why even if one attempts to purchase the same ensemble as an actor/actress, it might not look the same. Most of the style above would look frumpy on me, unfortunately--but it's so nice to see on other people.

Trench coats and (oversized) blazers seem to be a must-have as well. (They also had (have?) a trend in the winter with oversized puffer jackets.) Most of the time, it's comfort + minimalism + neutral tones.

Personally, I like the Jung sister's fashion style, but it's not necessarily the same as above. They tend to emphasize their body in a subtle way more than hide it.

images

View attachment 4751263

View attachment 4751269

Shout out to Kim Goeun's fashion in Cheese in the Trap, though! I'm pretty sure she's what made me buy my Alexander Wang Marti hahaha.
0gcnf6-l-610x610-coat-cheese+trap-hong+seol-kdrama-k+drama-scarf-kim+eun-tx-sweater.jpg

Try googling minimalist Korean street style for some inspiration too.
b1f12102229771a807718c06e964d20c.jpg

791e01db363651f7c55cc4ad6de1c7bb.jpg
Omg coat envy!!! Beautiful!!
Thanks for your input, I’m so excited to get more inspiration!
Side note, I lately bought a few clothes that are definitely Scandinavian fashion, (+Swedish brand) and my Taiwanese colleague was like “omg you look so French I love it” so sometimes it’s just the way we wear things? Or the final touches? That defines our style?

Perfect for inspiration yes. As I live in Europe in the highest taxed country so I would have to pay double price! And also the sizing...unique size! For a model who is 159cm....I’m 170cm