Kontera Ads

laloki

O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
As I was in the process of logging in today I noticed certain words on the forum that were blue and double underlined, when I put my mouse over them a pop up box appeared with ads in it - Kontera Ads. Is this something new, they don't appear once logged in?

Vlad, I do not like this. It makes me want to limit my postings and control what I want to say - the words that I want to use to help someone, especially in the authenticate this... forum. Why did you decide to go this route? The words that I see linked in these posts to Kontera are so innoccuous like "looks good", "tote", handbag", "vintage", etc. Again, this limits what I want to say knowing that my words generate pop-up advertisements - or any advertisements.

Vlad - is this whole thing a temporary ad campaign with Kontera? Or is it permanent? How do the words get picked out? Can you explain this for me?

The words are picked by their crawler and matched to words that correspond to ad campaigns running in their network. This is a very common monetization technique used by many sites online.

The ads should not be showing up for logged users, at all, only for guests who are not registered / not logged on.

I am not always logged in... as a delay in navigating kicks me out and I do not want to take the time to log in unless I find something about which I want to post. I do not care to have my words used as links to ads, even if you can only read them when logged out... I am funny about that.

I recently posted about my boyfriend in the "Relationships" subforum (on January 5, 2010), and I noticed two days later that two words from my post got linked to these Kontera Ads. The two words in my post that got linked were "boyfriend" and "relationship". The word "relationship" got linked to a site on "Tips on Navigating the 50+ Dating Scene." First of all, my boyfriend is not over 50. My boyfriend is in his 30s.
Then, the word "boyfriend" got linked to some site on Dating Services. I did not meet my boyfriend using a dating service. In fact, I've never used a Dating Service in my entire life. :smile:

I don't like words from my posts being arbitrarily picked to link to advertise pop-up ads that have no connection to my life.

Vlad, I understand that you need ads to help the costs of maintaining The Purse Forum. However, are there other alternative forms of ads you can use instead of Kontera Ads?

I recently posted about my boyfriend in the "Relationships" subforum (on January 5, 2010), and I noticed two days later that two words from my post got linked to these Kontera Ads. The two words in my post that got linked were "boyfriend" and "relationship". The word "relationship" got linked to a site on "Tips on Navigating the 50+ Dating Scene." First of all, my boyfriend is not over 50. My boyfriend is in his 30s.
Then, the word "boyfriend" got linked to some site on Dating Services. I did not meet my boyfriend using a dating service. In fact, I've never used a Dating Service in my entire life. :smile:

I don't like words from my posts being arbitrarily picked to link to advertise pop-up ads that have no connection to my life.

Vlad, I understand that you need ads to help the costs of maintaining The Purse Forum. However, are there other alternative forms of ads you can use instead of Kontera Ads?

The ads are not placed by checking people's posts, evaluating the specific words and jist of the post, and then falsely linking. The ads show up randomly, not by us choosing where they go. So being linked to a dating service site or over 50+ has nothing to do with you specifically or your post.

The ads do NOT show if you are logged in. No one that is logged in will see them. So being a member on the forum pretty much guarantees you will not see Kontera ads if you are logged in.

We keep the ad amount low as we can for registered members.