Kohl Application - Middle Eastern Way?

Nymph

O.G.
Jul 17, 2006

So I watched this youtube video in awe, cos I have never seen anyone apply kohl this way. Apparently it's the Middle Eastern way of applying kohl? Is that what it's usually referred to? Does anyone apply theirs this way too?

I want to try this method, but am pretty sure I am going to poke my eyes out or something. Would definitely appreciate any tips on how to do this! :heart:

Don't. Unless you know someone who learned it very young and has been doing it for years who can sit there and personally supervise and literally hold your hand, please, please, do not even try it.

There are plenty of tutorials and products that will help you get almost the same look safely!

yp that is the traditional way but as the others said do not do it unless you learned it very well.
but you can get the same effect using khol in pencil form and a gel eyeliner with a brush on the upper in-between lashline and waterline

I can do it but I guess it may be scary if you are not used to it.
Another method I use is dipping an eyeliner pencil in gel eyeliner and line it on the waterline , above and below.
this also will require some practice , but will be easier if you are used to pencils.
also make sure you are not sensitive to gel eyeliner in the waterline

Last edited:
I've seen that before, but I would be too scared to ever attempt it. I accidentally poke myself with my mascara wand sometimes (the Exceptionnel one with plastic combs...OUCH!). I would probably lose an eye doing this.

I should also note that the effect is not becoming to all the world's eyes.

Putting anything, by any method, on the "waterline" is not only tricky in terms of keeping it from getting into your eye, especially as time goes on, and especially especially if you are in a warm temperature, have eyes that are dry, wear contacts or eyes that are just easily irritated, but even all those things aside, depending on how your eyes are shaped, how your face is shaped, proportions, etc, it might be more flattering for you to go for a lookalike look where everything is no closer to your eye than the base of your lashes.

Kind of like the rule about not connecting the lines on top and bottom without leaving just a little gap there and see if that might make YOUR eyes look larger, even if someone else just doesn't look right unless they close the gap completely!

ShimmaPuff is right again. I usually don't start all the way at the inner corner -- my eyes are too close together for that. I start where my lower lashes start, if that makes sense.

I love Guerlain Kohls and always apply them using the eastern method. Once you get used to it, it's not that scary but you do have to be careful. I can see how it might freak someone out though.

I should also note that the effect is not becoming to all the world's eyes.

Putting anything, by any method, on the "waterline" is not only tricky in terms of keeping it from getting into your eye, especially as time goes on, and especially especially if you are in a warm temperature, have eyes that are dry, wear contacts or eyes that are just easily irritated, but even all those things aside, depending on how your eyes are shaped, how your face is shaped, proportions, etc, it might be more flattering for you to go for a lookalike look where everything is no closer to your eye than the base of your lashes.

Kind of like the rule about not connecting the lines on top and bottom without leaving just a little gap there and see if that might make YOUR eyes look larger, even if someone else just doesn't look right unless they close the gap completely!

This is exactly right. No matter how much I love the look of a lined waterline, it just does NOT look good on me, because my eyes are relatively small, and when I do it, it makes them look very very closed in. I look much better with just my lower lashline lined, and a bare waterline.

Thanks for all the comments ladies! I knew I could count on the community here to point me in the right direction. I've never actually lined my waterline before, so I am a little freaked out about doing it. This method seems "easy" once you get the hang of it. But I don't know if I can attempt it without poking out my eyes :P

Between a pencil and a gel liner, which would give a more defined look? I currently use a liquid liner only for my upper eye cos I like the effect. Recommendations please? :yes: