Know thy snakes...with pictures - Used in BVs

I was really careful scrolling down the page, but at the end I went back again to see
all the snakes and their patterns. I thought only python and karung skin are used. It will be interesting to see finished products from cobra. Jburgh, thank you, this was so informative!!

after two days, I am able to come back here the second time to face to face these beautiful creatures. I really love Karung and tiger snakes and appreciate them from my heart :heart:. Thanks jburgh for sharing these photoes. Now I'll care even more for my beloved karung wallet. Last month, I ordered a can of beewax. Does anyone who owns exotic skin bag use beewax or any other stuff for protection/maintenance ?

Great info! My only real snake item is on my Jimmy Choo Suede Alex -- it has black snake trim, not sure what kind of snake.

I am not really creeped out by snakes, though of course I have a healthy fear of the ones that are dangerous. But when I was a kid, sometimes our cats would bring live garter snakes (small, harmless) into the house and then let them go, leaving me to catch them and take them outside. I found the way their bodies moved fascinating!

I think the only animal I have an unreasonable phobia of is bees. I know they rarely sting but I run away from them anyway. But I would never kill one! They are vital to the food chain.

after two days, I am able to come back here the second time to face to face these beautiful creatures. I really love Karung and tiger snakes and appreciate them from my heart :heart:. Thanks jburgh for sharing these photoes. Now I'll care even more for my beloved karung wallet. Last month, I ordered a can of beewax. Does anyone who owns exotic skin bag use beewax or any other stuff for protection/maintenance ?

The only thing I would *ever* use on reptile is a special reptile conditioner. DYO makes it, Google it for more information: It smells nasty, but the smell goes away.

Here is a snippet of some more general information on snakeskin. See the article for more than you would ever want to know, lol!
Sources = Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_scales

The scales of a snake primarily serve to reduce friction as it moves, since friction is the major source of energy loss in snake locomotion. The belly scales, which are large and oblong, are especially low-friction, and some tree dwelling species can use the edges to grip branches. Most snakes have at least some large scales (called 'shields') on their head, which can be used to distinguish different species. Snake skin and scales help retain moisture in the animal's body.

Snake scales are formed by the differentiation of the snake's underlying skin or epidermis. Each scale has an outer surface and an inner surface. The skin from the inner surface hinges back and forms a free area which overlaps the base of the next scale which emerges below this scale. (this is what curls on our bags when dry)

A snake hatches with a fixed number of scales. The scales do not increase in number as the snake matures nor do they reduce in number over time. The scales however grow larger in size and may change shape with each molt.

Snake scales are made of keratin, the same material that hair and fingernails are made of. They are cool and dry to touch.

Last edited:
In a related area, the BV forum mentions CITES when speaking of snakeskin. Here is some information from the CITES website: http://www.cites.org

CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is an international agreement between governments. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.

Because the trade in wild animals and plants crosses borders between countries, the effort to regulate it requires international cooperation to safeguard certain species from over-exploitation. CITES was conceived in the spirit of such cooperation. Today, it accords varying degrees of protection to more than 30,000 species of animals and plants, whether they are traded as live specimens, fur coats or dried herbs.

CITES was drafted as a result of a resolution adopted in 1963 at a meeting of members of IUCN (The World Conservation Union). The text of the Convention was finally agreed at a meeting of representatives of 80 countries in Washington DC., United States of America, on 3 March 1973, and on 1 July 1975 CITES entered in force.

CITES is an international agreement to which States (countries) adhere voluntarily. States that have agreed to be bound by the Convention ('joined' CITES) are known as Parties. Although CITES is legally binding on the Parties – in other words they have to implement the Convention – it does not take the place of national laws. Rather it provides a framework to be respected by each Party, which has to adopt its own domestic legislation to ensure that CITES is implemented at the national level.

For many years CITES has been among the conservation agreements with the largest membership, with now 174 Parties.

The species covered by CITES are listed in three Appendices, according to the degree of protection they need.

Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances.

Appendix II includes species not necessarily threatened with extinction, but in which trade must be controlled in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival. The Burmese python is in this appendix.

Appendix III contains species that are protected in at least one country, which has asked other CITES Parties for assistance in controlling the trade.

jburgh, WHY did you post these? Now I feel soooo guilty about the poor snakes. Probably not guilty enough to stop buying them as handbags, but made me pause to think. Thanks a lot, LOL.

BV also utilizes Cobra skin in their handbags. This is infrequent and usually in LE styles.

The main type of cobra used is the Asian spitting cobra. There are several species, but the most often used in the leather trade are...
Naja atra, the Chinese Cobra:
attachment.php

Naja kaouthia, the Monacled Cobra:
attachment.php

These are found in China and all over SE Asia. Despite their name, these snakes do not actually spit their venom. They spray the venom, using muscular contractions upon the venom glands. When cornered, some species can "spit" their venom a distance as great as 6 feet. The sprayed venom is harmless to intact skin. However, it can cause permanent blindness if introduced to the eye. While spitting is typically their primary form of defense, all spitting cobras are capable of delivering venom through a bite as well.

Attachments

• najaatra.jpg
    najaatra.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 12,589
  • najakaouthia.jpg
    najakaouthia.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12,342
There is another ratsnake used in bags, the Elaphe taeniura. According to some Chinese agricultural data I found, this is the third most used snake in Elaphe leather trade. This snake is known as the "Beauty snake" or the "Striped tail ratsnake." It occurs mainly in China, and lives, hunts as other ratsnakes do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• elaphetaeniura.jpg
    elaphetaeniura.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 13,958
Last edited:
Jeez, way too much information, LOL! I know it was going to bother me but it is like one of those trainwrecks where you cant look away.

I am totally creeped out now and have a new snake bag coming:P

Jeez, way too much information, LOL! I know it was going to bother me but it is like one of those trainwrecks where you cant look away.

I am totally creeped out now and have a new snake bag coming:P

What is coming?

I also have information on how the snakes are skinned and tanned. This was pretty graphic and I didn't want to scare anyone away. Lets just say that reading reptile taxidermy sites was, well, er, umm... *interesting.*

What is coming?

I also have information on how the snakes are skinned and tanned. This was pretty graphic and I didn't want to scare anyone away. Lets just say that reading reptile taxidermy sites was, well, er, umm... *interesting.*

Not a BV- a Dolce black and white patchwork snake bag from purseinsanity's SA for 60% off.

thank goodness you didn't post the tanning info. I would have been :faint:

Being a snake lover, I will definitely stay away from snake skins for life... What I hope is that these snakes are from the farm and not from the wild. If not, the ecosystem in the wild will be upset. But thank you for the information...