Knockoffs vs Fakes

But for me, buying a bag is about a design I like and a style I'll enjoy using. I do realize that some of these are not of the same quality, but others are in fact made very well.

I do the same thing. Although I do not buy obviously fake handbags, I do buy all kinds of bags, from the WalMart Metro 5 on sale for $10 to the couture bags at NM at full price, to ones made by local artisans (I bought a shoulder bag for my books from an artisan in Ensenada, Mexico). Yes, I am aware that PVC may not last as long as leather (but are good in the rain, while lambskin is not, conversely), but it doesn't matter. I like it, therefore I buy it. There are so many kinds of stuff out there for everyone that I think everyone can find a bag that they want within their price range and style. I did when I was in college and had no money.

to me, knockoffs are just as bad as fakes. i think it was diane von furstenburg who said in a magazine that sometimes the knockoffs hit the stores before the origional designers items do. and as an aspiring fashion designer, i do not agree with that at all. if a brand or a designer arent creative enough to come up with a design thats their own, they shouldnt be in the fashion industry. period.

but, actually, fakes are worse than knockoffs because of child labor in 3rd world countries. it is an illegal industry!!!!!!!

Wow, thanks for all of the replies guys, it's great to hear a lot of different viewpoints.

seahorse: Could you explain why you hate knockoffs? "Because they're legal" doesn't really make sense to me.

i'm talking from my POV as someone who worked in creative industry myself and i hate more people who make knock offs which deliberately copy other poeple's design and claimed as it were their own design...
fakes, people already know that they are copies of from other people's design, it's NOT their design.
and i'm talking this apart from the child labour and stuffs