Knitted Handbags??

Depends. if its one of those independent looking, craft table, boho type of things then no. If it was like the valentino clutch I saw today with lux material and structure in the metal clutch fastenings and all and it was definetly under 400 then sure maybe. no way do I think a simple knitted bag could be more then a couple hundred at most- and that would be with a name attached to it.

I've made knit and crochet bags and sold them at a small boutique.(for reference they sold for around $40-$50) Now I just make them for friends though and for myself.:shame: They are so much fun to make. I've done felted bags and those are my favorites to make. If you are thinking of making things to sell in my experience scarves are much faster/easier to make and sell more quickly. HTH :flowers:

Attachments

• AFD27393-B6E6-143B-63D6EE331058C79C.jpg
    AFD27393-B6E6-143B-63D6EE331058C79C.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 38
Funny! My mother has been making these knitted bags like crazy over the past couple of months. She must have 25-30 of them made now. She's going to give them out as gifts to her office staff. They're beautiful bags, and very well made. I have one of them :smile:

That said, I would not pay more than $30-40 for one, regardless of how well it was knitted or how beautiful it was. If I didn't know somebody who could make them very inexpensively for me (my Mom), then perhaps my answer would be different.

I would never buy one. First, as far as spending a fair amount of money on them, they are a "flash in the pan" style this season and probably won't be next year. Second, they are prone to snagging. Third, in addition to getting dirty, they also tend to easily pick up... stuff - pet hair, lint, etc. And last, with regular use they tend to pill and look worn pretty quickly.

Would they be hand knitted by reasonably paid, skilled craftspeople, in the West?

Is there any way that the knitted 'sack' could be removable from the leather base and trim; so that if it got snagged, it could be taken back to the store where you bought it and repaired/replaced?

Also, could the lining be thick and strong (but still soft) to make up for the delicacy of the knitting and in a similar colour to the wool, so that the woolen 'sack' could be removed and hand washed?

If so, and I loved the design and materials used, I would definitely consider paying a fair price for a hand-crafted item. :yes:

I don't see why a high quality 18" bag like the one I have described wouldn't be worth as much as an equally high quality all-leather, or embellished silk-satin bag of a similar size.

In which case, yes, I would consider paying at least $400.

I've made knit and crochet bags and sold them at a small boutique.(for reference they sold for around $40-$50) Now I just make them for friends though and for myself.:shame: They are so much fun to make. I've done felted bags and those are my favorites to make. If you are thinking of making things to sell in my experience scarves are much faster/easier to make and sell more quickly. HTH :flowers:

Ohhh that's beautiful! :heart:
Need to show it to my mom ^^ she crochets and knits like crazy.
She used to make me purses years back but she mainly makes scarfs and stuff now.

Oh I don't know. Never say never.
I think a knit handbag would be cool. I love to knit and have made hundreds of scarves, as well as a few sweaters, arm warmers - even a cape and a poncho.

Sure there's the wearability factor but you'd have the same problems withany purse in a light coloured leather. You just have to be diligent.

I particularly like the Rafe Islington collection:

http://shop.rafe.com/nshop/product.php?view=listing&groupName=COLLECTislingtonbag&category=handbags

I think they're really smart. And they're on sale right now. You can do a search on Grechen to see if you can find them for a better deal. I know I've seen others on sale too, but can't remember the store.