Kitty having bathroom troubles

Sariwoo

Mar 15, 2013
Hello!

I have a one year old cat, his name is Nero and he has always used the litter box ever since I found him, (at 8 weeks old). Lately however he is having some issues with his litter box. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this at all with their male cat, (or even female cat).

Heres the scenario because it's a bit odd:

He gets in his box to poop as usual, squats down and starts pooping. Then suddenly midway through his poop, he will jump out of the box and rub his bum on the mat I have outside his box to collect the litter, thereby covering the mat (and his fur) in poop.

He has only done this twice and he does not do it every time he poops which is odd. The first thing that came to my mind was worms, but he had been dewormed only a few weeks ago and does not go outside at all. His litter box is always clean as I clean it everyday. I have not noticed any behavioural changes and he is still happy and crazy like usual, I just don't know whats causing this behaviour. I could understand if he did it every time he poops (then I would take him to the vet) but like I said he's only done it twice now. Please let me know if you have any idea on what this could be.
He also is up to date on all his shots and his deworming.

Thank you!

(I have attached a picture of him because he's my baby) :heart:

Attachments

• 12401002_10156597339265417_8588647190307615892_n.jpg
    12401002_10156597339265417_8588647190307615892_n.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 86
Nero is so handsome!! You might try giving him a little bit of canned pumpkin with his meals. Cats get plugged anal glads and the pumpkin helps keep it a good consistency to make sure it all gets out.

HI Nero!

So sorry to hear that you are having potty problems - we go through the same thing with our boy Jax.

I second buzzy's recommendation of pumpkin. Is his stool really soft, or is it hard? I wonder if he is having problems with it all getting out and then uses the towel as a way to finish, kwim?

Nero is a cutie!! My 11 yr old has IBS she has such a problem going too. I dont't brush her as much as I should I put a pinch of metamucil in her water she gets a stomach ache. She hates WET FOOD. WHAT? I know Im gonna try the pumkin. Thank you.