Food Kitchen essentials!

I would go with the basics, and everything else that you could get is kind of for people that do a lot of cooking. For example things like:

Zester - totally unnecessary as an essential but I use it for so many things!!
Apple corer - I'm soo lazy today.
Tongs - Bacon buddy!!!
Thermometer - Comes in handy for meat and candy!
Pyrex - ANYTHING, love all of pyrex's things. Just NEVER EVER heat them up (in the oven) and then put cool water on them. They WILL shatter!!!
Storage - Rubbermaid anything. I got the pink set of tupperware :biggrin: lol
Wax/parchment paper - Baking essential
Potato masher - If you don't have an electric mixer :P
Ziplock bags - I always need them!
Potholders/dishtowels - definitely an essential!!!

Everything else is just for convenience, besides the essentials that the other ladies listed, of course :P
Go into a store like Bed Bath & Beyond, and I'll be in there for hours looking at cool kitchen stuff. I love to cook and bake, so getting new and cool kitchen things is kinda fun :P
If I think of anything else I'll post it :greengrin:

This prep-ware set

along with this set

Essential tools

and these are my favorite tongs and turner

As far as pots and pans go, you should have s, m, l fry pans, at least two quart pots/sauce pans. You could buy a set and then add to it. All depends on what your budget is. I would check Macy's they always seem to have kitchen stuff on sale and especially now for President's Day sales. Try Bed, Bath and Beyond too if your local store will still take coupons.

Here's a couple more:

Sorry if others mentioned these- I read the thread but my brain is a bit leaky sometimes...

3 pk of cotton kitchen towels
potholder
stainless canister(s) w/ gasket and clamping lid- I use tons of brown sugar and whenever I get a new package I transfer it into on of these packed in tight and it keeps it from drying out. They are also good for other dry bulk items.
bag saver- kind of looks like a giant tissue box that you stuff grocery bags in so they are handy for reuse.
stainless dish drainer
spoon rest- keeps the counter clean while you cook
colander

Since there is a lot of great info here. please do not get any plastic cooking utensils, a lot of times they will come in one of those cookware sets. My bf has melted a few by leaving it on the skillet and the dishwasher has melted some also.