Kiss clovers? How is this not copyright infringement?

I remember looking this up at some point re articles on VCA intellectual property claims
Originally the status seemed that VCA did not have copyright but regained it via foreign counsel . However, in the case against Heidi Klum, VCA admitted it had been refused by the US copyright office. (See bottom for the link to the klum case)
NOte: I just googled this stuff randomly; I have no knowledge of intellectual property law; perhaps another TPFer will come along to correct or refine this. ..

(https://www.springutlaw.com/45m-damages-award-against-knockoff-watches)
Quote:
Van Cleef & Arpels is a world famous fashion house, known as the “Jeweler to Royalty.” Among its successful products is its Alhambra jewelry line. First designed and introduced in 1968, in the last decade it has enjoyed a revival, with skyrocketing sales and abundant media exposure. But with success comes imitation – knockoff jewelry at all price levels became rampant.

Van Cleef had a copyright registration for the Alhambra design. However, when introduced in the United States in the late 1960s, the items in the line lacked a copyright notice. Under the law in effect at the time, that meant loss of copyright.

Our lawyers succeeded in establishing that Van Cleef was entitled to a restoration of the copyright under the little known Uruguay Rounds Agreement Act, which restored foreign copyrights in such situations. This required a detailed showing of the history of creation and publication of the work in the U.S. and abroad. Working with foreign counsel, our lawyers were able to make a compelling showing, and obtained a summary judgment ruling that Van Cleef owned a valid and subsisting copyright in the design.

But here are some other, more recent articles that invalidate the right

also, see, where there was a quick settlement with Heidi Klums company (if VCA felt its position was strong, then they would not have so quickly gone to settlement)
Settlement Ostensibly on these grounds (quote from the article):

It now appears that the lawsuit is going to be settled even before the Defendants file an answer to Van Cleef’s allegations. On February 13, 2008, the parties asked the Court to adjourn the initial conference from February to April while they negotiate a settlement of the case.

PRACTICE NOTE: It is interesting that the case is settling so quickly because Van Cleef admits that one of its applications for copyright registration was refused registration by the U.S. Copyright Office. I would predict that it was refused registration because it was a mere depiction –without any elements of originality– of a four leaf clover that appears in nature. Even if the copyright claim fails, however, Van Cleef appears to have acquired distinctiveness in its four leaf clover jewelry to assert its trade dress infringement and unfair competition claims, which exist outside of the copyright claims.
Thank you for posting these links.:flowers: This is very educational. It sounds as if anyone can legally copy VCA.:wtf: Interesting that China gave VCA protection until someone sued. The courts seemed quick to side with the complainant(s).

• Love
Reactions: hartwin and 880
There are plenty of cheap replica VCA out there. Those pieces don't scare me.

BUT, there are some startling good fakes out there too. Some people (very) tangentially in my social group purchased some super-fake VCA Alhambra with 18K gold and good quality diamonds that cost about 25% of retail. The Magic Diamond White Gold long pendant and some other pieces like the 20-motif PG/GMOP/Diamond necklaces. I could not do a direct comparison to my own REAL pieces. But I could see that the pendant had serial numbers and quality engraving. Without close inspection, it looked real. And especially since these ladies have LOTS of $$$, no one would suspect them of wearing fakes.

It made me nauseous. Evidently the seller was up front that these were fakes. And these ladies did not see a problem with buying the fakes, even though they own some real VCA too. They could not see that the moment you buy fakes, your entire collection is de-valued.

I am afraid that people will buy the fakes and try to pass them off on reseller sites and make significant sums. I do not believe that reseller sites have the knowledge to properly authenticate VCA. Especially for the less expensive pieces. I will not buy VCA from resellers anymore.

BUT, there are some startling good fakes out there too. Some people (very) tangentially in my social group purchased some super-fake VCA Alhambra with 18K gold and good quality diamonds that cost about 25% of retail. The Magic Diamond White Gold long pendant and some other pieces like the 20-motif PG/GMOP/Diamond necklaces. I could not do a direct comparison to my own REAL pieces. But I could see that the pendant had serial numbers and quality engraving. Without close inspection, it looked real. And especially since these ladies have LOTS of $$$, no one would suspect them of wearing fakes.

It made me nauseous. Evidently the seller was up front that these were fakes. And these ladies did not see a problem with buying the fakes, even though they own some real VCA too. They could not see that the moment you buy fakes, your entire collection is de-valued.

I am afraid that people will buy the fakes and try to pass them off on reseller sites and make significant sums. I do not believe that reseller sites have the knowledge to properly authenticate VCA. Especially for the less expensive pieces. I will not buy VCA from resellers anymore.
Any idea why they bought the fakes?

since these ladies have LOTS of $$$, no one would suspect them of wearing fakes.
My mom has very wealthy friends who might do this (but probably not with hallmarks or serial numbers). She also has friends who wear the real thing. She doesn’t herself bc she doesn’t see the point of wearing MOP (either real VCA or copies) and she’s not a fan of Alhambra or the VCA aesthetic. But, they are all easily able to afford the real thing; they just like a deal, and like @etoupebirkin says, they are cheap.

Full disclosure: I bought some cheap ones on Etsy to gift to a few friends who wanted to try them out. But they don’t fool anyone.

Another article, this one suggesting some knowingly buy fakes to poke fun at society (one of many reasons)

Last edited:
My mom has very wealthy friends who might do this (but probably not with hallmarks or serial numbers). She also has friends who wear the real thing. She doesn’t herself bc she doesn’t see the point of wearing MOP (either real VCA or copies) and she’s not a fan of Alhambra or the VCA aesthetic. But, they are all easily able to afford the real thing; they just like a deal.

Full disclosure: I bought some cheap ones on Etsy to gift to a few friends who wanted to try them out. But they don’t fool anyone.
I actually have far less of a problem if there are no hallmarks or serial numbers. That way, it cannot be resold to unsuspecting buyers as real.

I have seen the ones on etsy. Those seem more like replicas to me. They don't have serial numbers and they are gold plated, not sure if they are the same size.

I was just surprised at how easy and legal it is to copy VCA. I'm not quite clear about some of the others, but VCA seems like a free for all.

I also have known a couple people who buy knock off name brand jewelry, not just VCA. Changes my opinion of them. Im better off not knowing if a person does. I always think of where that money is probably going.

Yes, if anyone ever looks on ebay, there are foreign sellers of replicas on there all the time. They'll get reported and they just register under another name. There are exact, high quality replicas with the serial numbers, as you said. So for this reason, I only buy through VCA. Unfortunately I don't have the unlimited money to buy all the VCA I'd like to have, but I cannot bring myself to buy fake VCA just as I can't wear fake diamonds.

Yes, if anyone ever looks on ebay, there are foreign sellers of replicas on there all the time. They'll get reported and they just register under another name. There are exact, high quality replicas with the serial numbers, as you said. So for this reason, I only buy through VCA. Unfortunately I don't have the unlimited money to buy all the VCA I'd like to have, but I cannot bring myself to buy fake VCA just as I can't wear fake diamonds.
I just looked on eBay, and wow... you are right! There are lots of sellers who sell VCA for cheap, and they have zero feedback. I saw a 10 motif turquoise for $955.00! Blue Agate bracelet for $733.00, MOP earrings for $522.00. :biggrin:
Wow... do people really think they are getting the real thing for a bargain? Amazing.

I am like you as well, I only buy new from the VCA boutique.

Taobao has lots of fake vca (while range if you bother to look up) and Hermes jewellery, some claimed to have used genuine gold and diamond. I’m ok so long they don’t advertise as the authentic piece, there’s no way to stop it anyway~