Kids that don't live in your hood-trick or treating..

I am lucky to live in the "good neighborhood". I buy loads of candy and give it out to whoever stops at my door. To be honest. Its the ones who arent from my neighborhood and from poorer areas who I enjoy giving the candy to the most, they are appreciative and thrilled. Most of the kids in my neighborhood are spoiled brats and rude! LOL! Kids are only kids once. I feel its my personal duty to make halloween fun for my kids and any child that visits my house. As far as teens go, as long as they arent ignorant I give them candy.

When I was young my family used to go to nice bigger neighborhoods for candy. It was just so much safer with lots of adults and kids around, and it was fun overall. I don't mind kids coming to my neighborhood for candy, I'll pass it out to whoever. It should be about the kids and their safety.

I pass out candy to whoever comes at my door.though sometimes we know they are not from our neighbourhood.After I run out of candy I simply put off the lights on the porch(happened only once so far in 9 years) .We actually feel sad if not that many kids come to our door and we have leftovers!!! Our aim is to give out all the candy we buy !!!(usually 2-3 big bags from costco)

I don't really care where the kids are from. They want candy, I'll give it it to them. We used to go trick or treating in another neighborhood for years because my daughter's friend always had Halloween parties.

I live in a pretty rural area. There are lots of housing developments, but they are far apart and there's no sidewalks anywhere. Some parents only let their kids trick-or-treat in their own development, others drive them around. Nobody lets their kids walk around from neighborhood to neighborhood, because it's really not safe.

But, most of the kids that come to my house are teenagers who drive themselves :rolleyes: I think it's total BS. I get really irritated when a carload of too-old-to-be-trick-or-treating kids shows up and take huge fistfulls of candy that I could be giving to the kids I know. Some of those rude little twits will come back to my house 2-3 times in a row. It doesn't bother me that they are strangers; it bothers me that they are greedy, rude and too old.

Parents around here have started doing "parking lot trick or treating" where they meet at schools or churches and give candy to eachother's kids. It's sad that Halloween isn't what it used to be, but if I had kids, I think I'd be doing something like this...

I live in a upscale neighborhood for our town, yet I think all the neighborhoods are nice.....but ours in a newer development so it has sidewalks and is very well lit. Yes, people come with vans and park and walk their kids. SO WHAT......I love seeing all the kids dressed up and they are so polite in saying hi and so happy to get candy. I gave out different big candy bars and the kids were screeching and I asked my kids why and they said I bought the coolest candy (which I was informed you can't just buy at the regular store)....... I think we got about 200 kids last night. It was fun for all. People were even nice enough to give kids drinks and some houses were open for bathroom breaks. Aside from the teenagers the kids were with parents and in groups so it was a nice social thing for the parents to talk with other neighbors too. I would welcome any kid here and who is to know if you don't live in the neighborhood. I think some people just are so nasty thay they can't even feel any joy in seeing children happy.

I live in a pretty rural area. There are lots of housing developments, but they are far apart and there's no sidewalks anywhere. Some parents only let their kids trick-or-treat in their own development, others drive them around. Nobody lets their kids walk around from neighborhood to neighborhood, because it's really not safe.

But, most of the kids that come to my house are teenagers who drive themselves :rolleyes: I think it's total BS. I get really irritated when a carload of too-old-to-be-trick-or-treating kids shows up and take huge fistfulls of candy that I could be giving to the kids I know. Some of those rude little twits will come back to my house 2-3 times in a row. It doesn't bother me that they are strangers; it bothers me that they are greedy, rude and too old.

Parents around here have started doing "parking lot trick or treating" where they meet at schools or churches and give candy to eachother's kids. It's sad that Halloween isn't what it used to be, but if I had kids, I think I'd be doing something like this...

Well, just because there are a few obnoxious teens, doesn't mean they are all that way and with them, you just learn to HAND them a piece of candy, not let them grab and if they come back, simply say, Sorry, I only give candy for the first visit." and they'll leave you alone. If you LET some people take advantage, they will - teens or adults.

When I was younger and used to trick or treat, I'd trick or treat in my neighborhood for awhile but then go to a nicer neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes. It is pretty crazy to see the difference in the number of children who’d trick or treat in my neighborhood compared to the multi-million dollar neighborhood. The multi-million dollar neighborhood had crowds of kids all over the place. The nicer neighborhood seemed to get a lot more into the Halloween spirit. Almost every house was decked out in fantastic Halloween decorations and they gave out full sized candy bars. :graucho:

We give out light necklaces instead of candy, so we always get a ton of kids. Usually about 300-400 if it's a week might. 500+ if it is a weekend. Our record year was just over 750.

That is a great idea! I think on my way home from work I will stop by the party store and pick some up to hand out to our trick or treaters. I am always so worried about kids not dressing up in bright enough costumes to be seen at night.

I remember thinking that my neighborhood was popular because people would come from further neighborhoods to drop their kids off and trick or treat. I just thought it made my neighborhood more fun.

Now I've heard that they do everything on Main St and trick or treating is prohibited in the surrounding areas. The town even funds the candy for the families that live on Main St. I guess the police think it's safer to consolidate the trick or treating to Main St.

But now that I'm living in the city, no one comes to our door at all for trick or treating...

i trick or treated well into my teens, but so did everyone in my neighborhood. for whatever reason, most of the kids were around the same age, so when we all got to high school, there really weren't a whole lot of kids to give candy to in our neighborhood! so basically all of us went until we graduated high school, but most of us had lived there so long and we all knew each others' families, so us teens were always polite and respectful; i don't remember anyone ever having any problems, and most of the parents were happy to see us and chat with us.

i absolutely LOVE having trick or treaters, which i don't get now because i live in an apartment in a college town, so i can only wish that someone would drop off a bus of kids here. some of the really large apartment complexes actually do that - the boys and girls center will bring a lot of kids out and us college kids get to give them candy. it's much safer than the areas that they live in, and most of us absolutely love the opportunity.

I have a friend at work that lives in a city neighborhood where people/kids throw eggs at trick or treaters. They go out to the suburbs because of this.

I used to live in a neighborhood where adults would come to the door with their kids and have their own bag and want candy too. I knew some of them from the school and no one ever answered the door at their houses on Halloween-jerks!:cursing:

The neighborhood I grew up in always made it a tradition to give out king-sized candy bars for Halloween (or our cul-de-sac did, anyway). We got lots and lots of kids who came in vans from other neighborhoods and guess what: WE LOVED IT!

Who cares what neighborhood someone is from??? They are CHILDREN and this is a night for them to enjoy themselves.

I used to get a little annoyed when I lived with my parents when these huge truckloads of wild kids would get dropped off to trick or treat in my neighborhood. I have no problem with kids going to areas they think are better for trick or treating, but this was like a pack of wild animals hit the block. The parents would just roll up, not even get out of the truck/van, and let them all out. They were usually rude, loud, and demanding. When I was growing up we didn't live in the best neighborhood in town but we just walked around and went trick or treating with my parents or did it in a friend's neighborhood, but we always walked with my parents and were polite.