Kenneth Cole New York Bag Issue

Mar 7, 2008
I recently bought a Kenneth Cole New York bag (not the cheaper Reaction line). I didn't carry it right away after buying it and just recently started using it, I've carried it only 2 weeks and the edging on the straps is starting to crack. I've never had this happen on a bag so new. So far it's only cracking, not peeling, but I'm very concerned that it's just a matter of time before it starts peeling. I'm planning on contacting the company to see what they say. It's not returnable to the store either, as I bought it on ebay, new with tags. It's a very lovely bag, one of my favorites, I'm so disappointed. Any advice?

Thank you

That's the edge coat. Take it to your shoe repair person and they can fix it. If you are crafty, find a local leather/hobby store and see if they have 'edge coat' and follow the directions. You can also Google 'leather edge coat' and find out quite a bit that way. Good luck.

Even if the eBay seller or store states, "all sales final", it doesn't matter...you are still covered by ebay's buyer protection policy for up to 45 days after purchase. eBay almost always sides with the buyer, anyway, but you have a legit reason for filing a claim, if your bag is defective. I used to sell on eBay, and I once had a buyer use a bag of mine for OVER a month, then filed a claim against me stating the item wasn't as described, even though the bag was authentic and in PERFECT unused condition. The buyer even left me positive feedback and everything! Needless to say, eBay sided with them...they returned the bag in USED condition!...and I had to issue them a refund. So not fair!!! But if your bag really has issues, you're doing the right thing in filing a claim. If more than 45 days have passed, then there's not much you can do in terms of returns...

^I wouldn't say that the edge coating on a leather bag starting to crack was the responsibility of the seller on e-Bay, TBH. It's something that can happen to any leather bag with edge coating; it's not expected to happen, sure, but it can. IMO, the easiest solution is to have it repaired; the cost should be minimal.

It should not be cracking already. You might want to have the bag authenticated first before you do anything.

That brand is most likely faked just like any of the other higher brands.

Just chiming in with my own experience with kenneth cole bags. I had one bag purchased from kenneth cole store before. I used it for a month and then the handle broke off. I was really surprised because for the price point, it should've more durable. I don't know if it's a general quality issue with their bags or not, but I won't buy their bags again.

I would suggest the OP to take it to the store and ask if they could repair it.

I contacted Kenneth Cole, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm interested in hearing what they will say, I'm guessing they will offer a repair at most. Companies that don't offer decent customer service, simply will not get my business in the future. I'm not going to pursue it with ebay, as I don't fault the seller at all. I know the bag is authentic (no doubt in my mind) the leather is beautiful, as is everything else about the bag - I'm just in disbelief that the edging is cracking like this. If I don't like the response from Kenneth Cole, I'll consider repairing it myself or find somewhere local. If they do offer to repair it, I wonder how long it'll be before the edging starts to crack again or if there's a way to fix it for good.

Thank you for all the suggestions.