Kennel Hell Story........

PS-Jill is so getting an AT HOME DOG SITTER from now on........I used to have one..but she went away to college...sigh...

What a tragic story! I'm so sorry for you and Einstein. Of course you must be beside yourself.

I don't know if this would work for you, but we asked our vet if any of the technicians that work there would be interested in pet sitting. (We love our vet and knew they only hired the best of the best staff.) It turned out to be a wonderful solution.

Good luck to you and your family. Vacations aren't meant to be this way.

OMG! That is HORRIBLE! I am so sorry to hear it. i hope your boy heals soon. Breezy and I will be sending good thoughts his way. Should you need to find a pet sitter, I recommend going here to find someone that's licensed:
http://www.petsitters.org/

That's where I found the place I use and they are GREAT. Breezy loves her pet sitter.

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for Einstein!

Wow. I'm shocked that 1. they didn't get in touch with you and 2. they didn't try to figure out what was wrong at the kennel!! I'm so sorry you've had such a rough week, and I know coming home to this was not easy. I hope your vet can figure out what is wrong to help Einstein. Sending you my wishes for Einstein's a speedy recovery!

Unacceptable! You left your dog in there care and further paid them for a service. the second they noticed your dog was not walking correctly and was in noticable pain they should have called you and then taking dog to the vet. I would send them the vet bill and request they pay half, further they should reimburse you for the kennel fee for that dog.

i CALLED THE MANAGER BACK..after she never returned my call...eh hem.
She said they were wrong NOT to call me...and is going to talk to all the staff on duty tomorrow about the entire situation..There were smaller issues as well..LIKE RIPLEY..My 1 yr old SHIBA..came home with HALF his food left over when he shouldnt have had ANY AT ALL LEFT.dogs were never groomed as I requested too....
Im so disgusted..Im so glad I postponed my ITALY trip in 2 weeks or Id be in REAL trouble.If EINSTEIN needs further medical help(surgery)..Id never have left him...even with a dog sitter...sigh....

Poor baby!! That kennel is evil!! :sad: I'm sorry that happened. I hope they do something to make things right..
My boyfriend has a Shiba (red, like yours :biggrin:) & he hurt his leg a few months ago and we're not sure how it happened, because neither of us saw anything. The vet gave painkillers for him, and recommended he stay off his leg as much as possible for the couple weeks. This involved lots of sleeping on the living room floor & my boyfriend carrying him everywhere. My bf had been really afraid it was lyme, because he had lyme years ago (before me or the dog were around) and knew how awful that is, but it wasn't. It must have been his muscles, and he was fine in a few weeks.
I hope your Shiba ok too!!

I can't believe that the manager didn't even call you back :cursing:. I would expect them to pay all the vet bills and reimberse some of the money that you payed for them to stay there. I hope he gets better.

Jill,

When you put your dogs in the kennel, did the kennel agreement include that they'd take the dogs out of the crates/cages and walk them or exercise them a certain number of times per day above and beyond them being taken out to do their business? The reason I ask is because if your dog is 12 years old, it is normal for them to become a little arthritic and stiff. If the kennel staff was not taking them him out of the cage/crate enough so that he could move around, that may be why his leg is bothering him. Compare that to an elderly person who is in bed too long and not moved around. They become stiff and get bedsores. Elderly animals aren't all that different. The few times that we've boarded our dog somewhere we've always paid extra to have her walked and played with 3-4 times a day...but that is an extra service you have to ask for and pay extra for.

I hope your dog will be better soon!