Kelly vs Birkin

bagsforme

O.G.
Nov 8, 2006
One of these days I'd like to get one. What are some of the differences between the two? Do they both come in the same colors? I assume the Kelly is easier to come by?

I passed by the Atlanta Hermes in the summer and saw a beautiful bag in the window. I called to find out more info when I couldn't get it out of my head. The sa said the color was Ataupe (sp?) kind of a greyish color with silver hardware. On the small size. The sa said it was about a 28cm. It was around $6,000.

Anyone know what I'm talking about with the color?

Etoupe is a dove gray color. Look through the threads here starting at the beginning and in the Reference section and you will soon learn the differences between the two. They both come in the same kinds of leather and color depending on your luck or if you are lucky enough to be able to special order one. What you saw was probably a Kelly, they *are* easier to come by.

bagsforme, the Birkin and Kelly styles are both very popular; right now, the Birkin style seems to be more in demand, tho, amongst people who know Hermes, there are many styles which we appreciate and it comes down, almost always, to personal preference.

The Birkin is more of a *tote* style because if you choose to, you can tuck in the flap and leave the bag open. The Birkin has two handles so you can pull the top open and access the interior.

The Kelly has a flap but since the handle is on top of the flap, you have to leave the flap tucked over and buckled. Thus, you cannot reach inside the bag without unlatching it.

None of this takes very long.....in fact, some of our members lock the belts on their bags, place cadenas inside the locks and wear them that way. When it comes time to open it, you wouldn't believe how fast they can do it!

Others of us prefer to leave our bags casually closed but ready to access at a moment's notice ( when we need our wallets for more Hermes purchases:yes:)

bags, some colors are not necessarily seasonal but they are put out for a time then taken out of production for awhile, but not exactly discontinued.
There are some classic "house" colors that will probably never be discontinued:

Black
orange/Potiron
Blue Jean
Gold
Rouge Hermes

for me the difference is in the weight. birkins are very very heavy bags. lots of good quality leather there--its a lot to carry around. the kellys, because they are smaller, are much lighter to carry.

Hey Everyone!
Well I'm about to buy my first Hermes bag and I'm a bit confused what to get.. A Kelly, Birkin, which type? My budget is quite high so its not a money issue! I just don't want to regret buying the wrong one :smile:
Also, how to go about this waiting list issue? I've been to several Hermes stores that sell Kelly's availible for purchase on the spot.
Thanks so much!! :hysteric:

Get both!
You cannot go wrong with either, but make sure you get the right size for your build.
I love Kellys and have a couple and will keep buying more. They're what's making my heart sing. But the bag I use most, day in day out (OK currently resting for a bit) is the Birkin, simply because it is a bag I can take pretty much everywhere with a horsey/outdoorsey lifestyle and also because it holds a lot for work (it carries my laptop for instance).

Both bags have their pros and cons (Kelly pro: shoulderstrap. con: can be difficult to get in and out of. Birkin pro: easy to get in and out of. Con: no shoulderstrap, can get heavy) but at the end of the day you cannot go wrong with either.
Stay with us and don't buy something right away just because you can. You will see that your taste develops and evolves and you will learn to define your own personal preferences.

You should get a better feel of every bag H has to offer!! Go through the reference thread, pick your fav type of leather, color, and hardware combo. So many choices!! And there is NEVER any regret with any H purchase!!

welcome ssn12 :flowers:

you have come to the right place, at the right time!

listen to the ladies here and use the resources available to you through this sub forum, it will help you find the right combo/style of bag that will make your heart sing...

once you know more about H then you will be able to find "the one" (ooopppsss and you won't stop at just one, let me assure you :P)...

good luck!