Kelly questions

Apr 23, 2008
Hi ladies,

Contemplating a Kelly so just wondering if you Kelly owners can enlighten me...
I love how the Kelly has a long strap for shoulder carry but for someone like me, who likes easy access in and out of my bags(I usually leave my bag unzipped or somewhat open)..is reaching in and out of it a pain while holding the top handle with one hand??? Unless of course you set it down on a flat surface and then reach for something....And of course the style is taller/deeper, so is it harder to find things?
Sorry if this sounds silly, I think this is a major deciding factor for me and don't want to make an expensive purchase and then not having it work out for me. :roflmfao:

For truly easy access, a Kelly is not a great choice. Super-easy access shoulder bags would include the Evelyne and the Picotin, but both of these are also accessible to thieves! Other choices, like the Massai, Gao, etc., have zippered tops and narrow mouths, but are still relatively easy-access. I know others will chime in!

Both of my Kelly bags are rigide so they do not have much give. Thus trying to get easy access is difficult, so if that is a priority I would not recommend as really the best way to get into the bag is by setting it down. Still beautiful though...

Not that easy to access, I end up balancing it on my knee. My retourne is much easier to get into than my sellier box bags. I wouldn't be without one though, so classic. I used my Black Box today when I went to lunch with my girlfriend. The hostess said your bag is absolutely stunning. You get compliments all the time, even from people that have no idea what Hermes is. When I am just running errands, I grab my Garden Party.

I'm like you, minismurf - I want easy access. And sad to say the Kelly is a bit fidgety. If you have it on your shoulder with the strap, easier, but a bit difficult to open/close when you are using the hand-carry option, IMO. I usually either set the bag down on a counter/table or sometimes end up holding the bottom (a bit awkward).

As for finding things inside, I find it really easy because I have a rigid one. Everything fits snug and has it's place and doesn't jumble around loosely inside like big smooshy bags, so I like that!

Overall, I think it's worth the occasional awkward open/closing to enjoy the classic Kelly!

Definitely much more easier to open the bag with the shoulder strap on compared to opening it while using it handheld.

Nevertheless, it all takes some getting used to. Even for styles like the jypsiere can be a little troublesome to open and close at first, but with use you'll get used to it, and you'll be in and out of your bag in no time :flowers:

I have to agree with what the other ladies said. If I'm using the shoulder strap it's a bit easier, but I still need to bring my knee up to rest the bottom of the bag on in order to close it (it's too easily accessible to thieves if it's not closed).

I've found that a purse organizer makes life SO MUCH easier with the Kelly. I seem to be able to find things much easier than if my goodies were just thrown into the bag.

I agree with foxgal... it's so very worth the few extra seconds it takes to open/close!

I never use the strap, but I do keep my Kellys accessible by leaving the straps undone and the flap shut. Or, i keep the straps closed loosely and the flap undone. It's not a sloppy look and it works for me.

I echo some of the ladies' comments here. I sold my first Kelly after several months since I was frustrated with having to reach and balance the bag on my knee or rest it on a table. I had a 32cm so it was quite deep. However, given the elegance of the bag, I jumped back in a year later and bought a rigid 28cm when it is less deep and using a bag insert, it makes it much easier to get things in and out. I just recently bought a 32cm Retourne and love it. It is true that a Retourne is much easier to work with than a Sellier.

If you want a Kelly, I suggest that you get a retourne Togo and order a canvas strap. It is much easier than using the original thin strap on your shoulder and it has a more casual look. If you take it off, the bag goes back to being dressier.

I use Kellys as my everyday bag. There are bags that give easier access for sure. If easy access is a very important thing for you, it can be a deal breaker. I use the shoulder strap a lot and keep it on all the time, but sometimes when it is handheld I balance it on my knee or hold the bottom or hang the handle in the crook of my arm. I figure out what works for me. Since I only use Kellys everyday, I have gotten so used to it that it's not a problem for me. Each bag (size, style, leather) feels a little different.
The only way to know is actually to use one. It would be an expensive mistake if you end up not liking it for this reason. If there is a way to test drive a Kelly, that would be great.
I've seen Kelly-inspired bags (not actual fakes, but with the same features) and if I were facing the same doubt as you and couldn't find a real Kelly to test drive, I would probably go for one of those if it doesn't cost too much. That said, I don't really like how those bags look and don't know how much they are. Still it might be a small price to pay compared to investing in a Kelly just to find out if its function might bother you.

I second what others have said about the Kelly being easier to open when you wear it with the shoulder strap, but like BBL, I usually wear mine sans shoulder strap, with the straps undone and the flap closed for easier access. If I'm not out shopping, then I will keep the straps done over the flap since I probably won't be reaching in the bag as often.

An interesting movie to watch if you want to see a Kelly in action is Heartbreakers with Vanessa Paradis. No matter how inconvenient the Kelly may be to use, she makes it look easy, casual, and oh so chic. And the movie isn't half bad, either!

I second what others have said about the Kelly being easier to open when you wear it with the shoulder strap, but like BBL, I usually wear mine sans shoulder strap, with the straps undone and the flap closed for easier access. If I'm not out shopping, then I will keep the straps done over the flap since I probably won't be reaching in the bag as often.

An interesting movie to watch if you want to see a Kelly in action is Heartbreakers with Vanessa Paradis. No matter how inconvenient the Kelly may be to use, she makes it look easy, casual, and oh so chic. And the movie isn't half bad, either!
I saw that movie and had my first Kelly within 2 weeks. It was love at first sight! You are so right ouijaboard, watch that movie and it is worth any inconvenience.

I saw that movie and had my first Kelly within 2 weeks. It was love at first sight! You are so right ouijaboard, watch that movie and it is worth any inconvenience.

I aspire to look like her when I carry my Kelly! In reality, I'm far from looking like a chic French woman, but in my mind's eye, I am! :biggrin:

I carry a Kelly every day and love it. With the structured bottom it is actually much easier to get in and out of than a lot of other bags because it can't flop around. My shoulder strap is always on and sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. The best part of a Kelly (besides how fabulous it looks!) is that you can pull it way open if necessary, then cinch it back up. It's no fun struggling with a bag that doesn't open wide enough. I travel a lot and for me a bag has to be able to close up tight. Plus, I go through a metal detector every day at work (yes the Kelly goes on the belt) and don't particularly want things spilling out.

I love my Kelly's, they are my absolute favorite H bag. That being said I wouldn't say it is an easy access bag. I'm so used to getting in and out of mine though that I don't find it a problem.