Kelly is Grace Kelly & Birkin is Jane Birkin & Lindy is ...

Hummingbird

H'Bird
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Charles Lindbergh. His nickname was Lucky Lindy. The lindy is designed like an aviator tote bag and named in his honor.

Sorry if everyone else knows this, but I just found this out.

I figured it was after Lindbergh, altho i didnt know why. I didnt think it was named after Lindy's Cheesecake. :smile:

Altho imagine the possiblities if Hermes had named the bag "Lucky":

DH: How was your day, dear?

Me: Oh, I got Lucky today.

MrsS - I had not seen the article in HB or the thread. Comments in the thread seem to suggest it was named after the Lindy Hop dance - year of the dance etc.

Yesterday the manager of the H boutique near me told me the Lindy is designed/structured like an aviator bag and named after Chas Lindbergh, *Luck Lindy.*
That makes sense to me, given the design of the bag and that his historic flight was from Long Island to Paris.

MrsS - I had not seen the article in HB or the thread. Comments in the thread seem to suggest it was named after the Lindy Hop dance - year of the dance etc.

Yesterday the manager of the H boutique near me told me the Lindy is designed/structured like an aviator bag and named after Chas Lindbergh, *Luck Lindy.*
That makes sense to me, given the design of the bag and that his historic flight was from Long Island to Paris.

MrsS - Thank you for the link. The Lindy Hop was created by African Americans in Harlem in the 1920's/1930's. It became wildly popular in American and I think in Europe, too, during the Swing era.
Maybe the Lindy was a doubly natural choice for the name of the bag given its aviator tote design and the fact that it is the year of the dance.

Thanks for the info, you are our resident expert, the go-to person for the Hermes facts.

I thought the same as Cynthia, that it was named after the Lindy hop as it was the year of the dance and all that. And I always thought, neat! The Lindy hop is such an under appreciated dance, I guess it still is in the eyes of Hermes :P

I thought the same as Cynthia, that it was named after the Lindy hop as it was the year of the dance and all that. And I always thought, neat! The Lindy hop is such an under appreciated dance, I guess it still is in the eyes of Hermes :P

I read the Lindy Hop was named after Lucky Lindy's historic flight!! That flight was called Lindy's Hop [across the pond]. At the same time, the dance that became the Lindy Hop was sweeping usa and europe. They didn't know what to call the dance, so because it was popular exactly at the same time as Lindy's Hop was all the talk, it also became the Lindy Hop.

And so is born another urban legend.

And H heard all the complaints about the lack of a strap on the birkin and no outside pockets and wally la! We're so damn happy we're dancing!

Oh wow, that's amazing! But imagine the possibilities if it'd been named the Lucky Hop!

Thanks for the history lessons H*bird, now I love my Lindy even more if possible. I can tell you there's at least one woman trying to do her happy dance here in Iceland tonight, lol, and has been for the last couple of days. And yes, lot's of hopping involved too :P