Kelly in Ostrich/Box/Barenia or other suggestions

Laney2

O.G.
Oct 3, 2009
After much thinking I have decided I would like to get a Kelly, (32 or maybe 35), as my everyday "hands free" bag. I like the idea of having the shoulder strap and being able to order a canvas strap and rock the Kelly like 880! Well I won't ever be that cool, but I love the look of her Kelly with the canvas strap! :P

I would like a Kelly that can withstand any weather, so after much reading it seems that would be Ostrich or Box and Barenia if they are treated by Docride's magic ways!

So out of my choices what do you think would be the best choice for a Kelly that will be used almost daily and in all types of weather. Please feel free to list pros and cons.

Thank you all for your valuable input. I love reading your opinions as it gives me a lot to think about and consider, which helps in my decision making process. :ty:

If barenia is treated it loses its velvety feel, essentially changing the character of the leather - so why bother?

If you want an all weather bag, I would go with clemence, fjord or epsom. And just FYI, the canvas strap is a special order (unless you get one of the new Kellys, one of which comes with it), and can take up to two years to have made. I'm still waiting for mine.

I have to be really careful with my box and barenia, but with clemence, I don't have the pressure at all. Epson is also a good choice. Hope you find one to suit your need soon.

100% agree with mistikat. Barenia isn't an "all weather" leather IMO, nor is it one that I would suggest for a bag that you don't want to have to 'baby' at all.

I agree with Fjord. And maybe Epsom if you want a bag that isn't slouchy?

If barenia is treated it loses its velvety feel, essentially changing the character of the leather - so why bother?

If you're planning to condition your bags, my choice would be box. Lighter weight than barenia, ages and refurbishes beautifully, can be casual or dressy depending on how you carry it.

I've used epsom and swift in all kind of weather,especially wet weather. they are very good.

Ostrich of curse is very good. but is very difficult to get in a size 32 or 35.

Thank you loves, iffah, lilach, allen, mistikat, dolphingirl, JustinCredible, jenyi, ouija board and LQYB so very much for your responses!

I had not thought of fjord and epsom and think it would be wise to see those in person. I appreciate the suggestions!

Mistikat & JustinCredible thank you for the info about Barenia. I didn't realize that the feel of the leather would change. Maybe I just need to find a SLG in Barenia for sniffing! :amuse:

Mistikat I do realize that the canvas strap is a special order but I appreciate you making sure I knew! I wonder if an Evelyne strap would be a good alternative, or do those take just as long to order?

Many Thanks again for opening up this discussion for me, it really helps in the decision making process!

in this case go ostrich it stands everything it is a bit more expensive but its worth it. and it has a bit of a differance the texture the ostrich gives is beautifull and the look of that leather on the kelly is simply well ...divine go for the ostrich !:tup:

Fjord. I don't view ostrich as a workhorse bag, but then again, I baby my bags, so I may not be a good person to ask. I think fjord is the best workhorse bag...it's just begging you to use it, like a challenge, saying "I dare you to try to make me look old and beat up!" They are virtually carefree.

My clemence 35 kelly is pretty good as an all weather bag. I ordered and got a canvas strap for it -- $330. Didn't take all that long (after my first order, which got lost, got sorted out).