Kelly in Epsom vs Kelly in box: pros and cons

If you were to choose a Kelly would you prefer Epsom or Box?

• Epsom

• Box

• I don't care, just give me the kelly

Results are only viewable after voting.

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
Those of you who have both Epsom and box bags, would you mind sharing what you prefer and your reasons for the preference?
If your could only have one what would you pick as first choice?final.jpg ?

That picture says it all...

But aside of that, I think, and this is a very personal opinion, that Epsom kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Hermes bag in the first place. While I can understand its usefulness for SLGs, it is a very treated leather, meaning the natural material is buried in layers of chemicals. To me it feels plasticky. It doesn’t have the feel and touch of lux leather.... It is all very well for a Prada Saffiano work tote as an alternative to coated canvas, but for a Kelly, you want the whole deal. Plus I understand Epsom is the worse leather to restore to original condition once damaged, so making less of Hermes life servicing.

That picture says it all...

But aside of that, I think, and this is a very personal opinion, that Epsom kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Hermes bag in the first place. While I can understand its usefulness for SLGs, it is a very treated leather, meaning the natural material is buried in layers of chemicals. To me it feels plasticky. It doesn’t have the feel and touch of lux leather.... It is all very well for a Prada Saffiano work tote as an alternative to coated canvas, but for a Kelly, you want the whole deal. Plus I understand Epsom is the worse leather to restore to original condition once damaged, so making less of Hermes life servicing.

You put this perfectly for me. As much as I can appreciate that Epsom is more resistant to rain, and that it takes color so well, I just can’t make myself love it. Like you said, it feel plasticky. I just can’t get past that. Box, OTOH, develops a patina and just glows. Even battered Box has a unique sort of beauty.

Now, if the question was Box vs. Chèvre... :nuts: :panic:

There should be a “Love both” vote option. :biggrin:

ADORE the look of box kellys, very grace kelly and classic but am scared to use the bigger ones. The box kellys here look soooo good, the patina and sheen. But the one i used to own... erm all i could see were the scratches (no nice sheen i see on others! :whut:) And most thing is we get alot of rain, barely used it so rehomed it for an ardennes k in the same specs to be a fuss free work bag. Still own a box kelly 25 and vintage mini k, both bought pre-loved with an existing sheen. I :heart: them! Guess i can manage the leather in smaller bags, both bags have been out in the rain and it is easy to “hide” them.

Epsom is not my fave leather in birkins but in structured bags like the sellier k or constance i think it looks fab and from a usage point of view is fantastic too - light and no need to stress about rain or splatter of any kind.

I do prefer Box, overall a Box Sellier Kelly is a thing of beauty. Epsom is on the other hand totally carefree. Rain, snow, goes anywhere with no issues. I would advise having both in a collection.
Good point. I do currently have both, but always reach for Epsom. Box bags tend to have a more vintage, look about them so I think they look better if you pair them with cutting edge very modern clothes. I also think vintage looks better on younger people so it looks like an obvious choice.

I'd be very interested to hear from otherbladies who have both what they reach out for...

Reactions: Bereal and prepster
Good point. I do currently have both, but always reach for Epsom. Box bags tend to have a more vintage, look about them so I think they look better if you pair them with cutting edge very modern clothes. I also think vintage looks better on younger people so it looks like an obvious choice.

I'd be very interested to hear from otherbladies who have both what they reach out for...
For everyday, my mom reaches for the epsom for the structure and durability-for evening events or to impress, Box wins every time ;)

Reactions: Bereal and needlv