Kelly ghillies decision

USCGRL6

O.G.
Sep 30, 2008
Dear all,
I have been offered a 35cm Kelly Ghillies in Argile Swift and Grain d'H with PHW from my SA. I am concerned with the light color, and wondering how both leathers hold up? Does the PHW get lost on this color and style as opposed to GHW? Also, I am a very traditional classic Hermes lover and I am wondering if the Ghillies will look classic in years to come? I appreciate your comments and input. Thank you very much!

First of all, Congrats on being offered a Ghillies! In my eyes Argile is a very nice colour, I have 1 Kelly Argile myself in Swift with PHW. :smile:
Grain d'H is new leather, so can't comment on durability, but guessing it'll be similar to Epsom. I'm a bit biased with Swift cause I love smooth leather like Box or Swift. It is more durable than most people think but as it's smooth surface, it's more prone to scratches, which I don't mind much cause I prefer looks over care.
Between PHW and GHW... individual preference really. In Phw, it looks cool and sophisticated, in Ghw it'll look more rich and formal. I wouldn't mind both. :P
Whether Ghillies will look classic in years to come, to be honest, I don't think so. A Classic Kelly bag like what Grace Kelly had will remain the classic piece of Kelly. Ghillies is a variant of the Classic Kelly, just like the Shoulder Kelly, etc. IMHO anyway.
Bottom line is, when you see it in person and whether you fell in love with it or not, do what your heart says.
Good luck on your decision and please do a reveal if you decided to get it!

what is classic to you maybe different to someone else and also vary as time goes by..our own individual taste and preference changes over time. mine certainly has. also depends what H comes out with in the future too!! so i would think based your decision on how you feel now. do you love it? will you carry it? does it meet your criteria whatever that may be?

i have the black version of this kelly and to me it is a classic showpiece of H craftsmanship. i love the ghillie detail and that's what makes this k special and unique. argile is a gorgeous in swift and i think phw suits this colour because of the white stitching..swift is a very hardy leather from personal experience. i just took my orange swift kelly on holiday - it has been smeared with copious amount of sunblock and splashed with large drops of water. it is fine. the watermarks dried off and i just wipe the sumblock with tissue.

I suppose no variation on the unadorned Kelly would be a "classic" in its purest sense, but lots of limited edition styles have been hugely in demand and, I think, will hold their value (the So Black is an example). The ghillies design is based on the wing-tip shoe, and that is certainly a classic, so I don't think the Ghillies style will age badly. Unlike, say, fringe. :biggrin:

Reactions: Virevolte
Dear all,
I have been offered a 35cm Kelly Ghillies in Argile Swift and Grain d'H with PHW from my SA. I am concerned with the light color, and wondering how both leathers hold up? Does the PHW get lost on this color and style as opposed to GHW? Also, I am a very traditional classic Hermes lover and I am wondering if the Ghillies will look classic in years to come? I appreciate your comments and input. Thank you very much!

Hi,
I have a Kelly 35 in Swift Argile and I love the color. I think argile is a neutral color that works with almost any outfit. I don't have any bags in Grain d'H so I can't speak to this leather. My K also comes in PHW but brushed PHW. I think phw works with argile and makes it look understated but still elegant. Argile+PHW is not a pop of color but if you're looking for a neutral combination, this is one of them.

My bag is also not the classic K combination. It's Swift and fabric (the fabric is called grand chevron). I love one of a kind bag like this. It's not a classic but my thought was when I'm 60 I may want a different bag anyway. So, I purchase what I like now and hopefully pass this on my daughter by the time I'm 60.

Here's the link to a photo of my K if you want to see argile with phw combination.
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-l...-etoile-and-crinoline-pics-only-412149-4.html
Mine is the last post.

I only consider black or red box or croc sellier K with GHW as a classic. At this point in my life, I know I won't be able to use that as much as I'm using my current K and B (retourne, a bit floppy, more casual look).

Go and try it out before you make your decision. See if the size/color works for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

I think with argile and PHW, the ghillies will still look understated. To me, this style looks like a regular kelly with additional details/craftsmanship. It'll probably withstand the test of time in terms of popularity better than the birkin club. Have you tried it on in person? Does it make your heart sing?

I agree with everyone's input. For myself, I do prefer the unadorned K's at this moment. However, I have come to appreciate Ghillies more and more.

To be honest, with H there is no stopping unless I posses something very similar already, but even then...

It's quite a restrained variation of a Kelly, and this is a very all round elegant cw. No one can guarantee whether anything will be fashionable in years to come, you just have to love it.

I just wonder if your not jumping at the chance whether you should let this one go and wait for one that you don't even have to think about before running down to the store :shrugs:

Thank you cr1stalangel, chincac, Mindi B, huh, Madam Bijoux, purselover888, bagidiotic, Fabfashion, madisonmamaw, and papertiger for your comments and input. It is greatly appreciated. After putting thought into each of your replies I have decided to revisit the bag in person to make sure it steals my heart. I have a well rounded Hermes collection now, so this definitely would be a special bag to add to my collection. I will let you know what I decide:smile:

Swift i love grain de H not so much because its stampped or embossed leather still im told it does make a very sturdy epsom like leather argyle is very versatile and in many ways easy as long as you do not wear it with denim it can be a very good versatile bag Darling hope it helps Birkel