Kelly 28 : weight between epsom and clemence leather

My Happiness

Chanel is My Rehab
O.G.
Apr 7, 2008
I know that when go to large birkin , weight will be a big different.
If for the kelly 28 , do you find it different at all between the epsom and clemence leather?
I plan to use it for long travel also ;)

TIA

cr1stalangel

Dec 29, 2011
In general Epsom will be lighter than Clemence regardless the size of the bag.
The biggest characteristic difference in these 2 leathers IMO is Epsom is a stiff leather and Clemence is soft(er) one when new.
For long travel, both have pros and cons. My experience with carrying Epsom bag during travel is that it is lightweight compared to any other leather but a little bit tricky to open and close when you're rushing cause it's stiffness. When I use my Clemence bag for travel, it is noticeably heavier but since the leather is softer, easier to open and close. Granted both are Birkins not Kelly 28 though. Most of my Kelly are Sellier and in Box/Courchevel. HTH. :smile:

Princess D

O.G.
Jun 12, 2006
My Epsom Kelly 32 is so much lighter than my clemence 32. It's also more difficult to get things in and out of the Epsom Kelly since it's more structured, hence more difficult to open up if I'm making any sense...

lilneko69

O.G.
Apr 19, 2010
Agreed epsom is significantly lighter, in my experience. I think unless you travel very light, Kelly 28 may be too small for long travel (wallets, passports, books/ipad, shawl to keep warm, magazines, etc.) It's perfect size for everyday though! :biggrin:

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
There is a big, big difference in weight. I've had a pico in clemence and it was fine, but I recall hoisting a 31 bolide in clemence and opted for the 27 in chevre. Granted my back is a mess and weight definitely is a deal breaker (as well as a back breaker). I would never choose clemence for a structured purse such as a birkin or kelly. (The operative word there was "I".) The lightest weight leathers are: chevre, epsom and box, imo.

forever132

O.G.
Feb 10, 2009
I just replied here, instead of pm u back!!! Hope is ok!
I own a b30 Epsom and a Kelly 28 clemence, the weight is about the very similar! I weighted them with kitchen scales. Maybe my bags are older, so they tends to be heavier compare to the newer bags! My k is about 894g and b is about 868g, both without locks!!! However Togo seem lighter than Epsom, as my Togo and swift b are both 860g! Note, they are all older bags made in 2009-2010!
So for my experience, box<cherve<Togo swift <Epsom