Keeping your ends healthy (hair)

Feb 13, 2006
The ends of my hair always get soooo dry no matter what conditioner I use. I condition and deep condition my hair every other day or every 2 days but they never seem to get any better. How do you keep the ends of your hair looking as good as the rest of it? Any at home remedy secrets? Also, how often do you get your hair trimmed? I am trying to grow mine out so I don't want to just keep chopping it off every time they get dry

Hmm...left to its own devices my ends are pretty dry too.

Basically:
1) use conditioner...on your ends only if the rest of your hair is oily
2) don't overdo the heat styling,and if you must,then use good heat protectant styling sprays.

3) Don't brush wet hair,it snaps and damages.

4)After styling I use some kind of moisturising/glossy balm on the ends only..usually something from TIGI Bedhead. (I am not only a bagoholic,but also a hair product-o-holic. I have a selection of things for this purpose LOL).

5) Unfortunately once they are split the only thing that helps is a trim. I used to have it done every 6 weeks but am also trying to grow it out now...so I go every 8 weeks. She is very careful to cut only what's necessary. But regular trims are the only way...if your hair is unhealthy it doesn't look good long anyway.

Since I heat style my hair, I never blow dry it unless I'm in a hurry. I also use only Aveda products and they really do work. I used to use whatever was in the grocery stores but my hair was never healthy. I've now been using Aveda for 2 years and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been. Once I start getting split ends, then I know it's time for a hair cut.

Since I heat style my hair, I never blow dry it unless I'm in a hurry. I also use only Aveda products and they really do work. I used to use whatever was in the grocery stores but my hair was never healthy. I've now been using Aveda for 2 years and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been. Once I start getting split ends, then I know it's time for a hair cut.

I trim every 6-8 weeks...The most AMAZING product is Bumble and Bumble damage therapy conditioner.........I put the leavein stuff by them in my hair and its like a miracle happened to my hair!! so much healthier...instantly...worth every penny!( I highlight ..so I need it!)

^^^ I agree with using salon products...and I've heard good things about Aveda but have never tried it.

I use the kerastase Masquintense range...but that's for very dry hair.

Jill said:
I trim every 6-8 weeks...The most AMAZING product is Bumble and Bumble damage therapy conditioner.........I put the leavein stuff by them in my hair and its like a miracle happened to my hair!! so much healthier...instantly...worth every penny!( I highlight ..so I need it!)

I will definately try this out. I never had split ends but since last january I have done thermal reconditioning twice (permanent hair straightening) and it has done so much damage to my hair that I need a lot of extra help to keep from drying out

It is soooo worth the money! Its the only product that I swear by for my hair! I had a bad highlight job and my hair was like so split it wasnt funny...I never in my life had split ends before...it was scary...I never had to use anything for dryness before.Let me know how you like it!!!There is a wash out damage therapy-I use it once a week in the shower...then I use the leave-in everytime I wash my hair-Both products were like 84.00...BUT SOOOOOOOO worth it!

Jill said:

Where can you get his product?

sayhitoromes said:
I will definately try this out. I never had split ends but since last january I have done thermal reconditioning twice (permanent hair straightening) and it has done so much damage to my hair that I need a lot of extra help to keep from drying out

I also straightened my hair and it is so dry and damaged too! I really regret doing it. It was nice for awhile but so not healthy for the hair.

^^^i just went to the bumble & bumble website and looked up salons close to me that sell it. I am getting this stuff tomorrow!
But yes, permanent straightening is like death to your hair. The first time was okay but after the second time, now I have split ends like nobody's business :sad: I decided I am never going to do it again, but I have to go through that awful stage where half my hair will be wavy and the other half will be straight. I guess for the next couple years I will have to style my hair a lot...not looking forward to it :sad:

Do you use drugstore brand shampoos/conditioners? I find the difference between drusgstore brands and professional salon brands to be night and day. I used to use drugstore brands and 3 weeks after a hair cut, my hair would be dull and dry with split ends showing already.

The shampoo/conditioner I LOVE right now is the Schwarzkof (not sure if I spelled that right) BC Bonacure one. Even 6 months between hair cuts, my hair still looks great with no dryness/split ends. You can find them in the Liter Sized bottles, and it's way cheaper than buying the smaller size.

If you don't want to fork out that much for professional sham/con, you should at least use a professional leave-in every time you shampoo. (That's what a stylist told me) I use the Redken Extreme Leave-In

Salon products are more concentrated as opposed to drugstore products which are more "watered down." Its the same with higher end makeup brands. Ex. Loreal is made by the same company that makes Lancome but the differences in their eye shawdows for example are like night and day. So much better coverage and less creasing with Lancome versus Loreal.