Keeping vs Re-Homing

muchstuff

Incorrigible Bagaholic
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
I've been going through my bags and I have some that, although really lovely, simply won't get used because the size or style isn't one that I gravitate to when I'm picking out a bag for the day. What would you do? Hang onto them and use them maybe once or twice a year or keep only what you know you'll use? Particularly in this buyer's market? All opinions welcomed, I'm struggling with this...:hrmm:

Reactions: BPC
That’s a tough one. I think you should rehome them after using each one for at least a week each (just to make sure]. I know what you mean about the low resale prices right now (quite painful to sell them at such low prices). But if you are not going to use them enough, they are just collecting dust and taking up space at home. And the money you get for them can be used toward something you like much better and will use more often. Good luck deciding.

That’s a tough one. I think you should rehome them after using each one for at least a week each (just to make sure]. I know what you mean about the low resale prices right now (quite painful to sell them at such low prices). But if you are not going to use them enough, they are just collecting dust and taking up space at home. And the money you get for them can be used toward something you like much better and will use more often. Good luck deciding.
I know right now that using my First for a week is a no go because it's simply too small for anything but an evening out for me. Maybe if I get a smaller wallet and also use a tote, but that would be the only way. But she's a special colour to me and that makes her tough to give up. There are a couple other ones I should use for a week though, that's a good idea, thanks!

Last edited:
I agree with Iamminda's idea of using them for a bit before deciding. I think we tend to forget what we liked about a bag that sits unused. If it is going to happen, it's best to fall in love again before spending time and energy preparing to list. Especially, as mentioned, in this buyer's market.

I agree with Iamminda's idea of using them for a bit before deciding. I think we tend to forget what we liked about a bag that sits unused. If it is going to happen, it's best to fall in love again before spending time and energy preparing to list. Especially, as mentioned, in this buyer's market.
I'm always surprised at how big a loss you end up taking when you resell these days. :annoyed:

Reactions: Storm702
I know right now that using my First for a week is a no go because it's simply too small for anything but an evening out for me. Maybe if I get a smaller wallet and also use a tote, but that would be the only way. But she's a special colour to me and that makes her tough to give up. There are a couple other ones I should use for a week though, that's a good idea, thanks!
I would find it too much trouble to buy a new wallet and use a tote with it. If you have a lot of evenings out, then it is worth it. But I completely understand about not giving up special colors like RT (although you have 3 RTs I think, lol). Definitely try using the other bags for a week or two before listing. And just think about the First some more. No rush to ensure no regret.

Reactions: muchstuff
I'm always surprised at how big a loss you end up taking when you resell these days. :annoyed:
This is so true. However, and this is what I tell myself to feel better:biggrin:, you did have use of the bag that amounts to getting equity out of it already. So that motivates me to rehome...mostly when the prospect of some funds seems better than stuff-in-closet for no real reason.

Me too. I bought one at 50% off retail last year — FP offered me 1/3 of what I paid (you can’t even buy a contemporary brand bag at that price). (So I am listing it myself hoping for slightly better return). Anyways...

Last edited:
This is so true. However, and this is what I tell myself to feel better:biggrin:, you did have use of the bag that amounts to getting equity out of it already. So that motivates me to rehome...mostly when the prospect of some funds seems better than stuff-in-closet for no real reason.
Good point!

Me too. I bought one at 50% off retail — FP offered me 1/3 of what I paid (you can’t even buy a contemporary brand bag at that price). (So I am listing it myself hoping for slightly better return). Anyways...
What's the saying? "Maybe it'll double in price and then be worth half of what I paid for it"...Seems to be the rule I live by anyway. :lol:

Reactions: BPC and Iamminda
I am just like you. I tend to stick to "those few bags", keeping many others thinking "just in case i need it" and continue buying those "There is chance to use it" :lol::lol::lol:.

It's definitely logical to sell away those that we don't use, but it's also pain & "insulting" to part at suckie price :annoyed:.

I hope you make a right decision :cool:

Reactions: luvva handbags
100% agree (although I should talk given that I pretty much rarely sell any of my bags anymore!). However, I'm very much of the "money in the bank" .. if I'm not using something and it's just sitting there collecting dust.

Reactions: muchstuff