Keeping Speedy Handles Clean

lolasmom

O.G.
Feb 11, 2007
So I finally did it. I brought home Speedy B 30.

The handles are gleaming. How do I keep them that way?

The SA tried to tell me to take the Delightful I was holding because the handles on the Speedy get very dirty, as opposed to the thick strap on the Delightful MM. I almost brought the Delightful home, but then at the last minute I had a change of heart. I said to my friend, next time I'll get the Speedy and she said "you came here for the Speedy B so just get it already." And I did.

Now the thought is brewing - I know the handles are going to get dirty. They just have to. But I need to protect them.

That's where you come in.

How do I do this???

Carry it by the strap. That will work. I don't treat any of my bags and have never had a problem. Just don't use lotion or hand sanitizers. Some people treat their bags. I've had bad experiences with that and love clean, even, pretty vachetta that is untreated, honey colored and has a sheen. The speedy b is easy to keep nice because hand carrying can be really minimal. If you carry it by the strap until it turns darker honey, you will not have any problem. You'll have lots of people suggest lots of different chemical treatments. So research whatever you decide carefully and just be aware, you may not need anything. LV doesn't recommend putting anything on the leather too. Just be careful if you do decide to treat it. It's been my experience that damaging the outer layer of the vachetta with chemical sprays and treatments can make it more prone to attract and hold dirt.

Whatever you pick, enjoy your pretty bag!

Carry it by the strap. That will work. I don't treat any of my bags and have never had a problem. Just don't use lotion or hand sanitizers. Some people treat their bags. I've had bad experiences with that and love clean, even, pretty vachetta that is untreated, honey colored and has a sheen. The speedy b is easy to keep nice because hand carrying can be really minimal. If you carry it by the strap until it turns darker honey, you will not have any problem. You'll have lots of people suggest lots of different chemical treatments. So research whatever you decide carefully and just be aware, you may not need anything. LV doesn't recommend putting anything on the leather too. Just be careful if you do decide to treat it. It's been my experience that damaging the outer layer of the vachetta with chemical sprays and treatments can make it more prone to attract and hold dirt.

Whatever you pick, enjoy your pretty bag!

Hi, I was just wondering, does that mean its "safer" to wear hand lotions and sanitizers after the handles have turned a nice dark honey? Will it still turn my handles black?

Annielovesbags said:
Hi, I was just wondering, does that mean its "safer" to wear hand lotions and sanitizers after the handles have turned a nice dark honey? Will it still turn my handles black?

You should never use lotions or hand sanitizers with LV leather. Both will ruin it no matter how much patina it has. Hand sanitizers don't work anyway according to the latest studies. But they do remove the top layer on your skin with heavy alcohol. Just imagine what it does to fine leather.

Lotion should never be used when carrying your bags. Lotion and hand sanitizers are the two main items that destroy vachetta leather, turn it black and cause cracking. My local boutique no longer does any free repairs if they know someone uses hand sanitizers. They consider it user abuse.

Read the most recent studies. You are far better off with washing your hands with soap and water. But either way, your bags will stay much nicer if you don't use either and then try to hand carry them. By far the worst though is sanitizer. It strips the top layer right off your leather. Lotion will make it dirty and black. Hand sanitizer will cause the leather to crack over time.

You should never use lotions or hand sanitizers with LV leather. Both will ruin it no matter how much patina it has. Hand sanitizers don't work anyway according to the latest studies. But they do remove the top layer on your skin with heavy alcohol. Just imagine what it does to fine leather.

Lotion should never be used when carrying your bags. Lotion and hand sanitizers are the two main items that destroy vachetta leather, turn it black and cause cracking. My local boutique no longer does any free repairs if they know someone uses hand sanitizers. They consider it user abuse.

Read the most recent studies. You are far better off with washing your hands with soap and water. But either way, your bags will stay much nicer if you don't use either and then try to hand carry them. By far the worst though is sanitizer. It strips the top layer right off your leather. Lotion will make it dirty and black. Hand sanitizer will cause the leather to crack over time.

Very informative :smile: thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it!