Food Keeping sliced apples from getting brown?

lol catlin i was goign to post that we also studied this exact thin in food technology. What you are trying to do is denature the enzymes to stop the browning. and there are a few way of doing it.

Blanching, kills the enzymes, but also loose some vitamins from it moving into the water, so you woudl have to drink that water in the future to get all the vitamins form the apple. I often do this and use the mixture as drinking water, obviously it tastes a bit apple-y but its actually nice.

or coating in an acid, hence lemon juice, i guess anythign with a good amount of vitamin C would work.

any othe way would destory the texture and taste of the apple so it would be pointless.

You can get clear plastic bags designed to keep sliced fruit fresh :flowers:
They have them in the fruit section at my local well-assorted supermarket. It's a bag that you blow air into (it wont touch the fruit) to vaacum-seal the bag, keeping the fruit from oxidizing :flowers:

That's so funny!! I'm eating sliced apples RIGHT NOW as I'm reading this thread...I keep them from going brown by sprinkling them with salt immediately after slicing them. I cut them last night and today they're still nice and white!

There is a product,(in Canada at least) called "Fruit Fresh." It is found in the baking section. It sprinkles like very fine sugar and is slightly sweet,slightly tart. It works great, and my son likes it and he is picky.

I'm having mine with my lunch today and my favorite trick is to sprinkle them with cinnamon. The added benefit is that cinnamon helps to stabilize blood sugar so that you can have a sweet treat without the blood sugar soaring and diving later.