Keeping parts of a ruined bag?

FlossinDiva

Sep 13, 2013
So I got a deal on a bag, and I figured I would try to be creative and sew a new lining... Yeah right.. LOL by the time I got it, my mind started racing...

I knew when I bought it the inside would have to be redone. I found out that it can take a long time to get back... So I knew I couldn't sew, and it just didn't feel right being my first bag for it not to be "All Real" so I go and find another bag, Same one that didn't need repair and bought that one. Sooooo. Now I have two of the same bag. But then I was thinking, do I really need to put the money into it to be fixed if I bought another one of the same thing? I was wondering if it would cost more to replace than what it is worth. So then I start thinking about what other things could be worth on the bag that maybe I could use as replacements at some point if something were to go bad on the good one. Like the straps, I am sure they have to be worth maybe more than what I even paid for it. It's a Petit bucket bag, and it has 2 great straps on it. Who knows I may need them one day right? Maybe a zipper? lol Idk..

Just was wondering what you may do in this situation? Keep it for a back up for parts? Or fix it?

So I got a deal on a bag, and I figured I would try to be creative and sew a new lining... Yeah right.. LOL by the time I got it, my mind started racing...

I knew when I bought it the inside would have to be redone. I found out that it can take a long time to get back... So I knew I couldn't sew, and it just didn't feel right being my first bag for it not to be "All Real" so I go and find another bag, Same one that didn't need repair and bought that one. Sooooo. Now I have two of the same bag. But then I was thinking, do I really need to put the money into it to be fixed if I bought another one of the same thing? I was wondering if it would cost more to replace than what it is worth. So then I start thinking about what other things could be worth on the bag that maybe I could use as replacements at some point if something were to go bad on the good one. Like the straps, I am sure they have to be worth maybe more than what I even paid for it. It's a Petit bucket bag, and it has 2 great straps on it. Who knows I may need them one day right? Maybe a zipper? lol Idk..

Just was wondering what you may do in this situation? Keep it for a back up for parts? Or fix it?
There are lots of petite buckets on eBay that need the lining replaced. If you are happy with the new bag then I would re-list the first one and sell it. You probably wouldn't ever need new straps on your new bag and the other would just be sitting around. You would probably get most of your money back on the bag and you could put that towards another bag:smile:

I would sell the first one "as is". I've also seen people sell just straps --which can be expensive if purchased from LV. If the bag is not selling after a while--maybe list the straps separately.

it depends, a trin can cost about 60$ or so, is it worth it? you tell me
if you have 2 of the same bags and don't need it than try selling it or check around if a repaired trim gets you better value

I've got an old GM bucket bag, and the lining is disintegrating ... but the straps are in great shape. I agree with the previous poster -- try to sell the first bag "as is" and get some of your money back so you can start buying your next bag! (Or, if you decide to keep both, use the first one as a "bumming around" bag for use on days when it will be out in bad weather or you will possibly be doing activities where the bag could be abused.)

I just brought a Saumur that's been abused but is still useable I'm going to use her as my back up bag lol when it rains. I say keep it as that , the quality of the materials are better from them IMHO.

I think you should try to get it fixed. It might cost more, but if you really do like the bag, in the end, you're just prolonging its life! :O I feel the same about my Trocadero. I love it to death, but the interior is falling apart, the strap just recently came apart... Sigh... But I'm saving up to get those repaired.. Hopefully they can help me with the interior...